“Great hotel for a holiday with the family”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed August 22, 2014

I stayed with my wife and two children (7 and 2) during a 10 day visit to the La Jolla and had a wonderful time. The location is perfect for access to the beach as well as the beautiful village of La Jolla. The hotel staff all take great pride in providing a first class holiday experience to their guests. I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Room 235 was delightful
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Dear David – I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the Grande Colonial during your recent vacation from New York. I know firsthand that traveling with young children is not always the easiest thing. We do indeed take great pride in the warm, gracious and genuinely-friendly service we provide to our guests and I’m very happy that came through during your visit. I hope to see you back in the future. Thank you for the comments. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Grande Colonial La Jolla

Reviewed August 20, 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised. I stayed only one night. They upgraded my room to full ocean view. I had a wonderful dinner, so wonderful that I had breakfast there and returned for a late lunch before leaving town. The public areas are beautiful and the location can't be beat. Staff is wonderful. I will be back.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Frank C
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Dear Frank - on behalf of the entire staff, I thank you for the stellar review and 5-star rating. I'm so glad to hear how much you enjoyed our hotel and our staff. I'm also happy that you had the opportunity to dine at NINE-TEN during your stay. It's one of the best in town (our chef was named San Diego's 2014 Chef of the Year by the California Restaurant Association). I hope you'll be back from Boston again soon and will have the chance to stay and/or dine with us again. Best regards, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Located in the la jolla cove. Close to shopping, beach, and good food. Hotel is a historical hotel built in 1913. Rooms are small but very nice. The property is very well maintained. The pool is small but offers a relaxing afternoon. Beach is two blocks away. Service by everyone is excellent! We ate at the restaurant. We ordered off the happy hour menu and it was very good. $110 for five people with drinks. Most restaurants in the area offer happy hour menus at very good prices. There is a Von's close by for waters, etc. Keurig coffee maker in the room.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Thank you, CaliforniaBze, for taking the time to post feedback about your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear how much you enjoyed our facilities, amenities, location and NINE-TEN restaurant. It's truly one of the best restaurants in town. I also appreciate your appreciation for our historic charm. We celebrated our Centennial in 2013 and look forward to another 100 years here in the Village of La Jolla. I hope you'll have another opportunity to visit us again sometime during the next century. Until then, thank you again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed August 15, 2014

We stayed in December 2013 for two nights. We lived in SD years ago and would walk in La Jolla around the hotel and commented on how nice the hotel looked. When we arrived, our room was not quite ready, but were told they would notify us when it was. So we decided to go and have lunch and while at lunch, we were called to say our room was now available. Our bags were in the room when we entered, which was nice. the view was outstanding.....ocean view with a huge picture window. If the weather had been slightly warmer, it would have been nice to have opened the windows to listen to the ocean! Rooms are furnished well and the bathroom was large. The closet was very big!
We had valet service for our rental and we would just call when we were ready to leave and the car was waiting for us!
We chose to stay at the Grand Colonial for its central location in La Jolla.....walking distance for most things. Starbucks is just up the street!
The only thing I can say negatively, was on our second day.....when we returned in the late afternoon, we found our room door left slightly ajar. Perhaps the room attendant did not pull the door completely closed, but thankfully, everything was OK.
We had heard about the possibility of seeing the long time resident----the ghost.... but not on this visit!!!
The Grand Colonial is an outstanding hotel and hope it celebrates another 100 years!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Dear Hecticmom2 – needless to say, I was thrilled to open Trip Advisor today to find your very kind (and comprehensive) review about your recent return to San Diego and your stay at the Grande Colonial. I cannot thank you enough for all the wonderful comments you wrote about…from the service received from our staff to the quality of our accommodations. I do apologize about the issue with your guest room door. That certainly should not happen and I am glad to hear all was okay when you returned. Please know that I will address this with our housekeeping staff to ensure they are following our standards to a tee. I am also sorry that you were not able to experience one of our haunted happenings. Having been around for more than a century, we certainly have our share of guests who just don’t want to leave. Fortunately, they are all friendly and provide another element of surprise for our guests. And finally, having just come off our Centennial year, we too look forward to being here in La Jolla for another 100 years. I do hope you’ll have a chance to return sometime during this next century! Until then, thank you again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed August 15, 2014

The service, location and staff where spot on. Would highly recommend this hotel above all others in the region. Free wifi and mini bar a plus,,,only one block from the beach. We had the garden rooms good location.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Lorraine - Thanks so much for taking the time to post a little feedback about your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. It sounds as if you stayed in one of our Garden Terrace suites, which come equipped with full kitchens (and those complimentary refreshments that you enjoyed). I hope the next time you return to the States from Australia that you will have the time to return to our little piece of paradise here in La Jolla. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed August 13, 2014

The hotel is in the center of La Jolla by shops and restaurants and a short walk to the beach . Very nice hotel! We would stay there agin. Only downside the hotel restaurant wasn't that good. Food came out cold and not inexpensive .

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra J
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear Sandra J - Thank you for choosing the Grande Colonial as your destination during your recent visit from Texas. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel. I am, however, sorry that you did not enjoy our restaurant. NINE-TEN certainly has a reputation for being one of the finest restaurants in San Diego so I'm sorry that did not come through during your dining experience. I will address this immediately with our chef and management team. Meanwhile, thank you again for the feedback and I do hope you'll choose to stay with us again in the future. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed August 12, 2014

We were very happy to be there in a nice quiet room on an upper floor. Even the standard rooms are quite spacious AND totally spotless. Had a couple of meals in the bar which were AWESOME!
Pool is small and a bit chilly but plenty of chairs for lounging and the cool water is great for a cooling off swim!
Staff are pleasant and gracious until they are not. We had a major upset with wait staff who basically accused me of lying about what I'd ordered, and got the restaurant staff to basically confront me in public and accuse me of lying, even though my spouse was there and heard me repeat the order several times. The Front Desk Manager, Liz, was very gracious and tried to make it right but form that moment on ALL the Front Desk folks were cold, bordering on rude, and refused to complete the services we'd requested. I actually overheard one of them talking to a housekeeper in Spanish about me in a rude and condescending manner. Didn't know I knew Spanish, did you?
This set of experiences ruined what was up to then a really lovely and relaxing experie4nce. If you go, just don't complain about anything especially being overcharged and your stay may be fine.

Room Tip: upper floors! And get the valet parking - pricey but really the only option in La Jolla.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roberta_A_D
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear Roberta_A_D: Thank you for taking the time today to personally write me and speak with me about your recent experience at the Grande Colonial. As I said on the telephone, I would much prefer to hear when something goes wrong so I can immediately address the matter. Please know that the positive experiences you had with the hotel and staff over the first couple days of your stay were much more the norm and the conflicts that occurred with some of our employees are certainly not the norm. I have already followed up internally with those staff members, as well as our management team. It is my hope that following our conversation today you understand our commitment to providing great service. I am very sorry for what you experienced on that Sunday and I hope you will give us another opportunity to earn back your trust. Thank you again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager