“Great hotel Excellent service.”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed July 22, 2014

The room was small and quaint each window we had a view of the ocean even from the shower.
Not much space to place luggage. No fridge in room. The building itself was quaint the staff were outstanding even when you didn't ask for anything. Free coffee inside the bar area every morning was a bonus. Great breakfasts-they need to spruce up their bar menu not enough selection for nibblies.

Location outstanding park your car restaurants close proximity to everything. Around the corner near the water (can't remember the name) they serve only breakfast and lunch amazing breakfasts.

Room Tip: Because La Jolla is quaint I believe all rooms would be great. We had a king on 4th floor that each...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Thank you, NotaholidayToronto, for the feedback you provided about your recent visit from Canada. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, our location and, most importantly, our staff. I also appreciate your comments about how to improve some of our amenities and services. I hope you will have an opportunity to visit us again in the future. Thank you again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,866)

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Excellent, friendly staff. They are on top of any problem that may arise. (Ask for benny). The resort itself is amazing with views of the coast. Childrens pool (where you watch the seals) is a few steps from the hotel. Rooms are spacious. Clean. Shops, restaurants all in walking distance. Parking is hard to find. Will be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Rich B: I couldn't be happier to hear how much you enjoyed your visit to La Jolla and your stay at the Grande Colonial...particularly your experiences with our staff. Call me biased but we have some of the finest people working for us, starting at the front door with good old Benny. I'm so glad to hear that our commitment to providing first-class service came through during your stay. I hope to see you back from Florida soon. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and I stayed a few extra days in La Jolla after being in San Diego for a conference. The Grande Colonial was an excellent hotel with a great location. Our room - an Ocean View King - was very comfortable, well appointed, spotless and had a great view of the ocean. The pool and courtyard area were also very nice and quiet, especially since we were able to enjoy the pool almost to ourselves for a few hours on a late afternoon. The location of this hotel is also perfect, both for convenience to the town but even more so for access to the beaches and coves... particularly to Casa Beach which is a two-minute walk away. Overall this was one of the most enjoyable hotel experiences we have ever had!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear herwego21 - I am very happy to hear that you had a chance to visit La Jolla following your business in San Diego. Even though we are only a few miles "up the road" from downtown San Diego, La Jolla certainly gives you the feel that you are in an entirely different destination. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Grande Colonial for that portion of your trip. I appreciate your very positive feedback about the hotel and hope you’ll have an opportunity to come back and visit again from New York. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

From the moment we pulled up, I knew this would be a superior hotel. You are promptly greeted by friendly bellman who offer any help and valet park your car. We are a family of 6, so a warm and kind greeting was appreciated. The hotel itself is quaint, lovely, and in a perfect location. Within walking distance to the beach, restaurants, and shopping. My kids especially loved the sea lions and tide pools nearby.

A suite comfortably accommodated us all. The hotel and rooms are perfectly updated without losing the historic touches and charm. We especially loved the ocean view and sleeping with open windows for a cool ocean breeze. The room was serviced twice a day at your convenience. We would return in a heartbeat. It was a fabulous stay.

• Stayed: July 2014
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Sixbertys - I was so happy to start my day off by reading the review you posted about your recent stay at the Grande Colonial. I am delighted to hear how much you and your family enjoyed your visit. We pride ourselves on the service we deliver to each and every guest and at every touch point of their stay. And it sounds as though we did succeed in our promise to provide a high level of customer service. I'm also glad to hear how much you enjoyed being able to open your windows to enjoy the sounds of the nearby Pacific Ocean. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't hear from a guest about how much they enjoy that! We hope you and your family will have a chance to return in the future and stay with us again. Until then, thank you for your comments. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely week with friends at the grand colonial. Fabulous staff and great location. Very comfortable rooms if a little noisy (we had a village view) at times. La Jolla is beautiful with lots to do and great choice of restaurants and bars. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2014
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear junerob8 - On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for choosing the Grande Colonial. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. You certainly traveled a great distance and deserved to arrive at a comfortable and convenient hotel. We look forward to your next visit from the UK. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed with my wife and two kids while visiting the sights in San Diego Great location, very nice hotel, the kids and I loved the pool. Very nice and accommodating staff at all hours. The 2-double bed room was a bit tight for four, but most are. Easy access to all of La Jolla. The beach is a 5 minute walk down the hill to a beautiful park, La Jolla Cove, etc.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Dicknoid
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear Dicknoid - delighted to hear how much you and your family enjoyed your recent stay. I'm happy to hear that you took advantage of our prime location, within walking distance of everything there is to see and do here in the Village of La Jolla. Hope you'll choose to stay with us again the next time you're traveling to the San Diego area. Best regards. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful hotel for 2 nights while on a road trip. The location was fantastic!! We were able to walk down to the restaurants and shops as well as the beach - not having to get in the car and drive is a bonus... Everything you need is right there.
My only issue during our stay, was the room we were given was literally right off the lobby, and was a bit noisy. I would have enjoyed being away from the main entrance more, but other than that, nothing to complain about. The staff was friendly, the hotel was nice and clean, (as a four/five star should be.)
I felt there could have been a bit more bang for my buck, but I would recommend staying here, for the location alone.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear Kristina - I appreciate you taking some time to post feedback about your recent stay with us. We strive for excellence at every opportunity so your comments are very important to us. Please know that we will make a note in your guest folio about your desire to stay a little further away from the main lobby. Hopefully you will be back to experience us again in a different room. Meanwhile, I thank you again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager