“Great service and location”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely week with friends at the grand colonial. Fabulous staff and great location. Very comfortable rooms if a little noisy (we had a village view) at times. La Jolla is beautiful with lots to do and great choice of restaurants and bars. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2014
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear junerob8 - On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for choosing the Grande Colonial. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. You certainly traveled a great distance and deserved to arrive at a comfortable and convenient hotel. We look forward to your next visit from the UK. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Grande Colonial La Jolla

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed with my wife and two kids while visiting the sights in San Diego Great location, very nice hotel, the kids and I loved the pool. Very nice and accommodating staff at all hours. The 2-double bed room was a bit tight for four, but most are. Easy access to all of La Jolla. The beach is a 5 minute walk down the hill to a beautiful park, La Jolla Cove, etc.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Dicknoid
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear Dicknoid - delighted to hear how much you and your family enjoyed your recent stay. I'm happy to hear that you took advantage of our prime location, within walking distance of everything there is to see and do here in the Village of La Jolla. Hope you'll choose to stay with us again the next time you're traveling to the San Diego area. Best regards. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful hotel for 2 nights while on a road trip. The location was fantastic!! We were able to walk down to the restaurants and shops as well as the beach - not having to get in the car and drive is a bonus... Everything you need is right there.
My only issue during our stay, was the room we were given was literally right off the lobby, and was a bit noisy. I would have enjoyed being away from the main entrance more, but other than that, nothing to complain about. The staff was friendly, the hotel was nice and clean, (as a four/five star should be.)
I felt there could have been a bit more bang for my buck, but I would recommend staying here, for the location alone.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear Kristina - I appreciate you taking some time to post feedback about your recent stay with us. We strive for excellence at every opportunity so your comments are very important to us. Please know that we will make a note in your guest folio about your desire to stay a little further away from the main lobby. Hopefully you will be back to experience us again in a different room. Meanwhile, I thank you again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed July 4, 2014

This place is nice. The rooms are a bit small, but comfortable, and very well sound insulated in my experience. The location is good, and the in-house restaurant is very nice. Easy walking distance to the nice spots in downtown La Jolla.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank _M_A_A_97
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post some feedback about your stay at the Grande Colonial last September. (Better late than never!) I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and our accommodations, restaurant and location. We are always running special packages and discounts so check our website or TripAdvisor profile page for the latest value offers. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We booked a last minute suite for father's day, traveling with 2 adults, a 6 years old and a 6 weeks old. The suite was not in the main building but in a neighboring building that was purchased by the hotel, which the hotel's website considers a boutique hotel within the hotel... the room was ground floor, very clean, bathroom was nicely remodeled and spacious; we had a sofa and arm chair, tv, king bed, coffee table, desk, and small kitchenette. I would not call it a suite, but more of a studio apartment - think NYC size... but for one night, it was fine. The stroller fit. We had a nice corner ocean view, but because we were ground floor, we couldn't sleep with the windows open, and even with the a/c, the room was very stuffy. And smelled a bit...old. I wouldn't consider it luxurious by any means, but it was nice, and there's one thing you can't beat...one block from the beach/children's pool (the beach with the seals.) And within walking distance to all the restaurants in town (highly recommend Roppongi just across the street and a bit south.)

The location was amazing! We did room service through the restaurant, and it was excellent. The elevator is a death trap, avoid it ! The best surprise was the rooftop deck - we took up drinks, a game board, and enjoyed the amazing sunset. There is also a top floor tiny conference room if you need to get work done.

Apparently the hotel has boogie boards and umbrellas to rent, but nothing was offered to us and it seemed a bit awkward to carry everything down to the beach, not sure whether the hotel offered assistance in this regard.
If you've never been to La Jolla, it's a great place to go on long walks, watch sunsets, go snorkeling, paddle boarding, scuba diving, kayaking; my husband and son went along the cliffs then down on the rocks, and we walked a few miles south; i had the baby in the ergo and caught up with them, and it's totally doable with little ones, and you get great people watching along the coastline full of beautiful villas.

We probably wouldn't return - we're used to more elegant accommodations, and for the price, I did expect a bit more. We felt like we were staying in a small rental apartment, not a hotel. But we have no complaints about our stay.

Room Tip: ocean view only.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear CourtneySC01 - I'm glad to hear you had the opportunity to book a last minute stay with us over the Father’s Day weekend. I know firsthand what it's like to travel with small children and I'm happy to hear we were able to accommodate you and your family in our Little Hotel by the Sea wing. Each of the rooms in that wing provide a kitchen, making it ideal for families or those traveling for an extended period of time. I appreciate your comments about the stuffiness of the room and will have our maintenance department take a look to ensure that the air conditioner and ventilation systems are functioning correctly. I also appreciate the comment about not knowing about our beach equipment that is available for guest use at the nearby beaches. That should and will be part of our check-in orientation...especially during the summer. I do hope you'll come back and visit us again in the future. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed July 1, 2014

It's a big deal for me to give a hotel 5 stars. I really appreciated our 3 night stay at the Grande Colonial. We had a lovely wheelchair accessible room on the main floor. Although we did have to pass the kitchen to get to our room, I appreciated not having to wait for the elevator. And though one of the windows was right next to the garbage and recycling, we never heard the crash of bottles after 9 PM. The room was spacious, with windows on two walls, and a closet (though the closet door was narrow; I just squeezed through with my 24" wheelchair). From one window we caught a glimpse of the ocean. The shower bench in the roll in shower was padded, and the water generally stayed in the shower! The king size bed was comfy. There was a ceiling fan in our room, so we never used the AC, (I don't like sleeping with the AC on).
I could access the pool via the elevator and a steep ramp; they have a lift to get in and out of the pool. They have many fluffy pool towels!
Parking was fairly easy with a handicap parking placard (I brought mine from home).
Everyone was very friendly, bringing us things we needed (hot water, ice, scissors!). When I mentioned to Aaron at the front desk that I had called and failed at getting a reservation for George's At the Cove on the top deck, he got them for us! That was awesome; the view and meal are not to be missed, and without a reservation you will wait over an hour for a table).
Staying in the heart of La Jolla was awesome; there are a lot of great restaurants within a couple block radius. And though the hill to the water is steep and my girlfriend had to work hard to push my wheelchair up, it was really nice to have the beautiful coast line and famous La Jolla seals and cliffs a block away.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear abh123456: Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I’m delighted to hear that your stay was worthy of the 5 stars you gave us. I’m also happy to hear that you had the opportunity to stay in one of our accessible guest rooms. We are committed to providing ADA-compliant facilities and amenities for our guests with disabilities to include (but not limited to) Braille guestroom numbers, closed-caption televisions, door and telephone signalers, roll-in showers, telephone amplifiers, text telephones and visual smoke detectors. Thank you also for pointing out the service you received from Aaron. Getting a last minute reservation at George’s (particularly on their terrace) is not easy and I’m happy to hear Aaron was able to get you accommodated. I’ll pass that along to the team. I hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again from Boston. Until then, thank you again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Great location, easy to access restaurants, beaches and shops. Friendly and helpful staffs. Hotel is 101 years historic building (est 1913) and well maintained. Parking could be a challenge. Expect parking, everything is great. Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: higher floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear gracehuang1112: Thank you very much for the review you posted about your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. What you described in terms of our environment and service is exactly what we strive to provide...friendly and helpful. We are indeed just over 100 years old but we are committed to constantly enhancing our facilities and amenities and keeping them up-to-date, while still preserving our rich heritage. I hope you will have an opportunity to come back and stay with us again. Thanks. Terrence Underwood, General Manager