“A great wedding week”

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Chicago, Illinois
“A great wedding week”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Thanks to everyone at the Grande Colonial for making our wedding stay successful and enjoyable. Many of our guests stayed on the grounds and we had the entire block of suites at the Little Hotel rented out by friends and family. The location can't be beat, the views are amazing (especially from the honeymoon suite) and the staff is accommodating. Even the London cab ride to our wedding venue for me and my bridesmaids was perfect.

We will definitely be visiting the hotel again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Reidkab. Congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you very much for choosing to celebrate such a special time in your life with us at the Grande Colonial. I am delighted to hear how much you and your guests enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you back in the future...perhaps for your one-year anniversary! Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Northglenn, Colorado, United States
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The Grande Colonial is a great hotel with lots of charm. The doormen were super friendly and helpful as well as the rest of the staff. Our iPod docking station was not working correctly and when we called the front desk the maintenance man was at our door within 5 minutes!! Great service!! Food and beverages from NINE-TEN RESTAURANT was awesome too!! Loved this Hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ocean View is amazing!! Opened our window every morning for a fresh ocean breeze and a spectacular v...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Jennifer - I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at the Grande Colonial while in town for a wedding. I do apologize for the trouble you experienced with the iPod docking station but am happy to hear that our staff took care of your needs quickly. I hope the next time you visit from Colorado you will choose to stay with us again. Best regards, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
new mexico
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Imagine being in the only hotel in the country without CNN!! They have it in Spanish, but not in English! And NO movies. And the chairs and couch in the suite are so uncomfortable - for looks only. No newspapers. Absolutely no water pressure and a shower made for someone shorter than 5 feet tall. Good news: restaurant room service was very good.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mdmjrs
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear MDMJRS:
Needless to say, I am very disappointed to read you review about your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. Your comment about the English version of CNN not being available is certainly valid and we will be following up with Time Warner Cable to find out why they do not offer CNN in English. I'm sorry that you weren't able to get a newspaper either. We do deliver a complimentary copy of USA Today to each guest room Monday-Friday. And on weekends, we always have a selection of complimentary newspapers available at our front desk. I'm assuming your visit was over a weekend. If so, I'm sorry you didn't see them in the lobby. I am happy to hear that the room service was very good and hope that it alone will compel you to give us another chance. Meanwhile, feel free to contact me directly if you'd like to discuss your stay in greater detail. Thanks much. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
united states
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We arrived at the Grand Colonial just before sunset. After checking in and admiring our charming room we grabbed the ice bucket and headed out to watch a beautiful sunset. The hotel is well situated in downtown town La Jolla and by the Cove part of the beach. Views are breathtaking.
The room emits old school charm but is modernized. It was an ideal choice for my Saturday seminar and my husbands game viewing. The reception people were friendly. When asked about where to park to avoid the $25.00 fee they gave us a map and my husband parked just outside on the street.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kallelua: Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Grande Colonial. I appreciate you taking the time to post feedback about your experience and look forward to having you visit us again in the near future. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed here for just one night over the Veteran's Day weekend and as part of the 100 year anniversary deal, we were able to get an ocean view room for the price of a village view ($200) and it was well worth it. Plus we got a charming corner room on the 3rd floor so it was quiet and we had windows facing south and west which was great for the gorgeous sunset. The complimentary water bottles were a nice touch, but I had to call the desk to make sure they were complimentary since there was no sign. We had two queen beds and I found my bed really comfortable - soft yet supportive, but my husband and teen found them too soft and uncomfortable. I loved reading about the history of the place and felt a little nervous since we were in the old wing above the kitchen which supposedly experiences the occasional ghostly presence. They have a free London Cab available if you want to go anywhere in town, but we enjoyed walking around the quaint village - many restaurants in walking distance. We did not try the fancy restaurant downstairs but I wish we had. I thought it was going to be closer to the ocean from the photos but the main building is really 2 long blocks away - however, this turned out to be a blessing because the ocean front really smells bad from the sea lions and birds, I mean really bad, so I was glad we couldn't smell it from our room with the window open. This is sadly the reason I won't return to La Jolla in a hurry - walking along the ocean front walk the next day, the stench was so foul we had to hold our noses and run.

Room Tip: Ocean view in the main building is nice. All the buildings are close to the pool which is shallow a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nadler: Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about your recent visit. I’m happy to hear that everything met your expectations (other than not being as close to the water as you had expected). I’m glad you enjoyed the history booklet we put together in celebration of our Centennial. It’s been an exciting year highlighting our 100 year history to each of our guests. On behalf of our entire community, let me apologize to you for the smell you experienced from the sea lions and birds. Our entire City is working on coming up with a favorable solution, while protecting the wonderful sea life that is so special to our neighborhood. Rest assured we will indeed find a solution very soon. I hope you’ll be back to put us to that test. Until then, thank you again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grande Colonial for 3 nights following our wedding in June. Many of our wedding guests also stayed here for a week or more as nearly everyone was from out of town. Our suite was very comfortable and we enjoyed our stay. I was however disappointed with the service we received both upon check-in when we were left waiting for a very long time and not greeted as I would have expected from such an upscale place, and also at various points throughout our stay.

We had been coordinating with their guest services people for many months leading up to the stay as we had booked a block of suites and there were lots of problems with reservations - on several occasions, guests were told the block was full when it wasn't and ended up booking elsewhere which nearly resulted in us not being able to fill the block, which I was informed would result in us having to pay for the unbooked rooms (even though it was entirely not our fault!). Luckily we were able to fill the block in the end.

I was also disappointed that we didn't receive any type of acknowlegement of it being our wedding night from the hotel. I wouldn't have expected anything excessive, but would have thought since we had been liaising for so long about plans for the wedding guests and party, that there might have been some acknowledgement of the event as often happens in much less classy places. We wanted to stay somewhere really special and had really high expectations for the Grande Colonial which sadly weren't met.

All that said, we did receive excellent service from the doormen/bell boys. They were always extremely polite and helpful and able to sort things out for us that the front desk had told us were impossible!

We also really loved the common areas of the hotel. The pool is beautiful as is the front reception area. We would also highly recommend Happy Hour (or anytime!) at Nine Ten. Absolutely delicious food and Happy Hour is a great deal!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gillyhg:
Allow me to first congratulate you on your recent nuptials. I wish you and your husband much happiness in your new life together. I am very, very sorry to hear about all the troubles you experienced during your stay, however. We pride ourselves on the warm, gracious and personalized service we provide our guests and clearly that did not happen in your case. I do apologize for that. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss in greater detail the circumstances of your visit. You can reach me at 858.729.5380 or by email at tunderwood@gclj.com. Meanwhile, best of luck to you and your husband and, again, congratulations. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
gorontalo
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is a truly elegant and beautiful hotel, a true part of La Jolla history. My family and I stayed here for my daughter's wedding. The wedding party gathered in the "Little Hotel by the Sea" but many of us also stayed in the main part of the hotel. The hotel upgraded our room to an ocean view and we enjoyed the beautiful San Diego weather by opening all the roll type windows and breathing in the lovely sea air morning and night.
Although in the center of the village and close to shopping and restaurants, our room was very quiet. The only thing we heard was the occasional barking of the seals in the cove below. The staff was friendly and accomodating, and even offered to shuttle my 90 year old father into town in their golf cart.
I love this place, and eventhough I live in San Diego, can't wait to return and treat myself to this experience again!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear MickieD: Delighted to read your review. I'm so glad your family had a chance to experience the Grande Colonial firsthand for the recent wedding. I'm happy to hear they enjoyed the Little Hotel by the Sea suites, as the 8 suites in that building provide the ideal place for bridal parties and families attending weddings. If your only compliant is the barking of the seals at the Children's Pool a block away, then we've done our job. Thank you very much for posting your review. Look forward to seeing you back soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager