The Grande Colonial proved to be the best hotel we stayed at during our California road trip - It exceeded my expectations by a wide margin. It is a heritage hotel so has loads of character.
We had a Garden Terrace Suite which is a short walk from the main hotel (it used to be an adjoining hotel). The Suite had a small kitchenette, a complimentary tray of snacks and soft drinks in the fridge (these were all refreshed daily).
The bed was good and the bathroom very well equipped. Housekeeping did a great job and all the staff were friendly and helpful.
The location is good, right in amongst the shops and restaurants of La Jolla and only 2 minutes from the beach.
If you want to save the $25 per night valet charge there is ample street parking around - but this might be hard to get during the peak season.
If you want a nice cosy hotel room which feels like a home then this is the place to stay - if you like the umber cool urban design of the big hotel chains then this is probably not for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel. For more than a century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders more than 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West. Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla