“High quality hotel with character”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days in August 2013. The service was very good and the hotel actually had some character which differentiated it from the large chains. We were moved to a quieter room on our first day as we had tired children and there was a (rare) party going on outside. Everything we asked for was sorted out very quickly. We had one nice day by the pool but otherwise explored the area. The staff were very helpful in suggesting trips, restaurants, routes. organising transport. The beds were really comfortable - the best of all the hotels we stayed in California. The hotel is near all the shops and restaurants in La jolla and the Cove where the Seals live. We went to La Jolla shores, which is a short drive away, to try surfing as there is a longer beach there.

1  Thank UKFamily2013
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear UKFamily2013:
I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent family vacation here in La Jolla. You certainly traveled a long distance and it sounds as if that trip was well worth it. It also sounds as if you truly took advantage of all that our community and neighborhood have to offer. I hope the kids enjoyed the surfing and the seals. And I hope you'll stay with us again on your next trip from London. Thank you, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Grande Colonial La Jolla

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were excited to book for an evening at the Grande Colonial. We called ahead and asked for early check in given we had a dinner party at 5pm. Upon arrival we were told we might be able to get our room by 4pm in a very unapologetic manner. We were even offered to use their gym affiliate nearby for $18 per person. The nail in the coffin was please check out at noon tomorrow. The most disappointing piece was the complete lack of customer service that Yasmin at the front desk offered. Her colleague was more understanding. In the end we decided to stay somewhere else...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mozinho

Dear Mozinho -
I am very sorry that we were not able to accommodate your early check in request for your recent reservation with us. Our check in time is indeed 4 p.m. and, while we will take requests for early arrivals, we never guarantee that the room will be ready upon arrival. We are always more than happy to store baggage, invite you for a complimentary cocktail in the bar or give you suggestions of things to do within walking distance of the hotel. Again, I do apologize that you were not able to get into your room earlier than 4:00. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute so we were not expecting a great room, however our room was fine although as expected no sea views.
Its a beautiful old hotel in perfect location. Our room was tastefully furnished, and the beds comfortable. The bathroom was tiny and the towels a little threadbare, as was the carpet in the room. It needed replacing.
We ate in the restaurant which in my opinion was totally overpriced. Nothing prepared us for the salad which was nouvelle cuisine , a few peas, a tiny carrot and one or two other vegetables arranged in a perfect line....when what I wanted was a bowl of greens!
Housekeeping was very late and our room was only made up at 4 in the afternoon. I think this is unacceptable.
But to leave the worst to last.. The valet car parkers pounced on us like vultures! Full of fake smiles and can we help. We decided to park round the corner for free. As we walked into the hotel gone were all the smiles and welcome, we were not acknowledged. Worse to come, the young man at reception had an attitude problem. He could not have been more disinterested or surly. Please hotel management take note... First impressions are the most important. I did bring this up with the head of reception and she was excellent and most apologetic. However if someone has a problem with attitude don't put them on the front desk it makes the guests feel unwelcome and uncomfortable.
But besides the really bad welcome and the reception staff totally ignoring us the entire visit, not even responding to my polite good morning, I have to say its a lovely old hotel. Just change the reception staff and valets.

1  Thank Exzimbabwean
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Exzimbabwean:
I'm sorry to hear about the level of service you received from our front-line staff. They are indeed the first impression of our hotel and should be (and usually are) at the top of their game. Please know that I will be following up immediately with our front office manager to ensure the staff members in those areas are reminded about the importance of treating each and every guest who walks through our doors with warm, gracious and genuinely friendly service at all times. I do appreciate you taking the time to provide such constructive feedback and hope you will give us another chance in the future. Best regards, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We "splurged" for the Grande Colonial for part of our San Diego vacation. It was a nice hotel and the service and location were great, but I'm just not sure it was a good value. My only quibble, apart from the price, was the tiny bathroom with very limited shelf space (right above the toilet). I was in constant fear my kids were going to knock my shaving kit into the toilet. I know it is a historic property, and small bathrooms were the norm ... but a place to place your toiletries would be nice. But I was happy with the hotel. I was just more satisfied with the much cheaper, much roomier place we stayed at down in San Diego.

Dear MrBoingo-
Thanks for choosing the Grande Colonial as your destination during your recent trip from Texas. I'm sorry that you were not as enthusiastic as we would have liked. We are indeed a historic property and, therefore, some of the bathrooms are a little small. We do our best with to keep the facilities up-to-date and comfortable given our historic limitations. But I do thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Thank you again, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The service deserves a 5 rating. I received outstanding service from each member of the staff, from the valet, bell hop, and lobby receptionist.

Stayed here for a short honeymoon. We wanted it to be pretty low key and relaxing. Receptionist notified that we would be upgraded to a partial ocean view as we checked-in. We got the corner room.

The actual room was perhaps a 3.5 rating. It was a corner room on the 5th floor (521) and it did have a nice ocean view which you could look at while lying in a very comfortable bed. It also had a lot of open space which I liked very much.

Everything was clean but there were some minor cosmetic and functional issues. Ceiling fan was wobbly and closet door kept slamming into the safe door. Closet was very spacious but oddly placed safe made it a bit harder to access.

Bathroom had some awesome tile in it (honeycomb black and white). Once again, the bathroom was a bit oddly sized as well and water pressure in the shower was just alright (I'm used to a nice strong pressure at home). Oddly placed towel rack directly in the shower, though I must admit it was very convenient.

The location of the hotel itself is great. You can walk everywhere in La Jolla. Parking would be a nightmare without the valet, and luckily I got a free parking discount by getting the room through their own website. I highly recommend it, even though it is an extra $25/night if you don't get the deal.

Also, its pretty awesome to stay in a place that has been around for 100 years. Very few places in California like that exist and to have one with such a kind staff and great location makes the price of the rooms worth it.

Room Tip: You might want to get the ocean view room to experience the great ocean breeze and avoid some street...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul L

Dear Paul -
Let me first thank you for your recognition of the service you received from our staff during your recent stay at the Grande Colonial. We take great pride in our service standards and I am happy that came through during your visit. I do apologize about the trouble you experienced with your ceiling fan and closet door. I have already sent a ticket to our engineering department to take a look at both issues. I also appreciate your comments about our history. As you know, it is our Centennial year and we are delighted you were able to stay with us during this exciting time in our history. And regarding your positive feedback about the flooring in the bathrooms, let me add that they are the original floors from when we opened. And they still look just as beautiful today. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great staff and great room with a beautiful, quiet location. Staff was helpful with recommendations about where to eat, what to see, etc.. Also, they were very nice to our young children (8, 10). Highly recommended.

Dear MRK09:
Thanks so much for choosing to stay with the Grande Colonial during your recent visit from Pasadena. We are happy that you had such a good experience and hope to see you and your children back very soon. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Grand Colonial is always a sure bet! I have many colleagues whom I book rooms for and most request to go no where else except the Grand Colonial while they are in town. Being able to have a beachside gettaway while in town for business has proven to be a HUGE success.

Room Tip: little hotel by the sea has an amazing roof top deck that is awesome at night.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Paula B:
Thanks so much for your kind words about the Grande Colonial. We are delighted to have you and your family, friends and colleagues stay with us on business or for pleasure. Hope to see you back soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager