The service deserves a 5 rating. I received outstanding service from each member of the staff, from the valet, bell hop, and lobby receptionist.
Stayed here for a short honeymoon. We wanted it to be pretty low key and relaxing. Receptionist notified that we would be upgraded to a partial ocean view as we checked-in. We got the corner room.
The actual room was perhaps a 3.5 rating. It was a corner room on the 5th floor (521) and it did have a nice ocean view which you could look at while lying in a very comfortable bed. It also had a lot of open space which I liked very much.
Everything was clean but there were some minor cosmetic and functional issues. Ceiling fan was wobbly and closet door kept slamming into the safe door. Closet was very spacious but oddly placed safe made it a bit harder to access.
Bathroom had some awesome tile in it (honeycomb black and white). Once again, the bathroom was a bit oddly sized as well and water pressure in the shower was just alright (I'm used to a nice strong pressure at home). Oddly placed towel rack directly in the shower, though I must admit it was very convenient.
The location of the hotel itself is great. You can walk everywhere in La Jolla. Parking would be a nightmare without the valet, and luckily I got a free parking discount by getting the room through their own website. I highly recommend it, even though it is an extra $25/night if you don't get the deal.
Also, its pretty awesome to stay in a place that has been around for 100 years. Very few places in California like that exist and to have one with such a kind staff and great location makes the price of the rooms worth it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel. For more than a century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders more than 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West. Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla