“Great Place to Stay in La Jolla” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grande Colonial La Jolla

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Pasadena, California, United States
“Great Place to Stay in La Jolla”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The service deserves a 5 rating. I received outstanding service from each member of the staff, from the valet, bell hop, and lobby receptionist.

Stayed here for a short honeymoon. We wanted it to be pretty low key and relaxing. Receptionist notified that we would be upgraded to a partial ocean view as we checked-in. We got the corner room.

The actual room was perhaps a 3.5 rating. It was a corner room on the 5th floor (521) and it did have a nice ocean view which you could look at while lying in a very comfortable bed. It also had a lot of open space which I liked very much.

Everything was clean but there were some minor cosmetic and functional issues. Ceiling fan was wobbly and closet door kept slamming into the safe door. Closet was very spacious but oddly placed safe made it a bit harder to access.

Bathroom had some awesome tile in it (honeycomb black and white). Once again, the bathroom was a bit oddly sized as well and water pressure in the shower was just alright (I'm used to a nice strong pressure at home). Oddly placed towel rack directly in the shower, though I must admit it was very convenient.

The location of the hotel itself is great. You can walk everywhere in La Jolla. Parking would be a nightmare without the valet, and luckily I got a free parking discount by getting the room through their own website. I highly recommend it, even though it is an extra $25/night if you don't get the deal.

Also, its pretty awesome to stay in a place that has been around for 100 years. Very few places in California like that exist and to have one with such a kind staff and great location makes the price of the rooms worth it.

Room Tip: You might want to get the ocean view room to experience the great ocean breeze and avoid some street...
2 Thank Paul L
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Paul -
Let me first thank you for your recognition of the service you received from our staff during your recent stay at the Grande Colonial. We take great pride in our service standards and I am happy that came through during your visit. I do apologize about the trouble you experienced with your ceiling fan and closet door. I have already sent a ticket to our engineering department to take a look at both issues. I also appreciate your comments about our history. As you know, it is our Centennial year and we are delighted you were able to stay with us during this exciting time in our history. And regarding your positive feedback about the flooring in the bathrooms, let me add that they are the original floors from when we opened. And they still look just as beautiful today. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Pasadena, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great staff and great room with a beautiful, quiet location. Staff was helpful with recommendations about where to eat, what to see, etc.. Also, they were very nice to our young children (8, 10). Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear MRK09:
Thanks so much for choosing to stay with the Grande Colonial during your recent visit from Pasadena. We are happy that you had such a good experience and hope to see you and your children back very soon. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Grand Colonial is always a sure bet! I have many colleagues whom I book rooms for and most request to go no where else except the Grand Colonial while they are in town. Being able to have a beachside gettaway while in town for business has proven to be a HUGE success.

Room Tip: little hotel by the sea has an amazing roof top deck that is awesome at night.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Paula B:
Thanks so much for your kind words about the Grande Colonial. We are delighted to have you and your family, friends and colleagues stay with us on business or for pleasure. Hope to see you back soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Redwood City, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

If you are travelling to San Diego and are looking for a fun and classy place to stay that is walking distance to many great restaurants and bars as well as the beaches, then this is your place. My wife and I were celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary as well as her birthday. When researching places to stay, the Grande Colonial was at the top of the list and I can see why.

The service was top notch. The first night I realized I left my cufflinks at home. I called the front desk to see if they knew anyone who had any. Yes, an odd request but they found me cufflinks right away. That's what I call service! The staff also knew some great places to eat around the area. They recommended the Brick and Bell for pasties and The Spot for pizza. Both awesome choices!

Housekeeping and the size of the room was also great! Our room was always clean and we loved how spacious it was!

It also doesn't hurt that this hotel has a lot of history (they are celebrating their centennial anniversary right now) and it right next to the ocean. The pool is also very nice. I just wished it was a bit bigger with fewer kids and facing the ocean but the ocean is just 300 feet away!

Also, valet was great. The valet guys were prompt and I never had to wait too long for my rental car. I couldn't imagine having to park in downtown La Jolla so it's great that there was valet service and the price wasn't too bad. Also, the location of this hotel is not that far from highway 5. Just a few minutes and you're on the freeway.

Overall, this was a great value and definitely is a 4 star hotel. Most places I would pay $400 - 500 a night for a place like this but it was only about $300 a night. Book this place if you want to treat yourself to a great time in San Diego!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great.
    • 5 of 5 stars
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Gus E:
I am delighted to read such wonderful comments! Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a favorable and comprehensive review about your visit to La Jolla and to the Grande Colonial. You pretty much covered everything and for that I thank you! I am looking forward to sharing your feedback at our weekly staff meeting and pointing out the excellent service you received from each of the staff members you encountered, particularly those who helped you with your cuff-links! That is exactly the type of service we strive for. Hope to see you and your family back on a future trip from Northern California. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
St. Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We loved our stay at the Grand Colonial in Aug 2013. We had ocean view, room 506, opened our window and saw the sunset and listened to the gulls and surf. The front desk staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Location is great, can walk to the ocean/restaurants/stores. Would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ocean view, top floor, room 506
2 Thank jgl99
Dear jgl99:
One of my favorite things to hear from guests about what they like about our guest rooms is the fact that you can open your screen less windows and take in the fresh ocean breezes and sounds of the seagulls and waves crashing on the rocks. It's a truly unique experience and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it, as well. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My family had two rooms at the Grande Colonial for 2 nights earlier this week. The hotel is very pretty and the rooms were just right. The best thing was the location -- right next to shopping and restaurant area and very close to the beach. You can walk to the beach where the seals are within a few blocks. The front desk and valet staff were all very pleasant and helpful. We would definitely go back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you very much for your very kind comments about your recent stay at the Grande Colonial hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, particularly our prime location in the Village of La Jolla and walking distance of the seals. I do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the future. Meanwhile, thank you again and enjoy your memories of La Jolla. Best regards, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Los Gatos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We loved this hotel! From the warm welcome with the doormen at the front, to the terrific bartender and the helpful staff, everything was top quality. The location is fantastic and our room was very comfortable. The bedding was amazing!! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants an upscale, elegant stay in beautiful La Jolla.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you, LKC2013, for taking the time to post some comments about your recent experience at the Grande Colonial. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay and will (hopefully) choose us as your destination on your next trip down from Los Gatos. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
4.5 of 5 stars 1,851 reviews
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#7 of 24 in La Jolla
4.5 of 5 stars 679 reviews

Been to Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!