“excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Pasadena, CA
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great staff and great room with a beautiful, quiet location. Staff was helpful with recommendations about where to eat, what to see, etc.. Also, they were very nice to our young children (8, 10). Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear MRK09:
Thanks so much for choosing to stay with the Grande Colonial during your recent visit from Pasadena. We are happy that you had such a good experience and hope to see you and your children back very soon. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Grand Colonial is always a sure bet! I have many colleagues whom I book rooms for and most request to go no where else except the Grand Colonial while they are in town. Being able to have a beachside gettaway while in town for business has proven to be a HUGE success.

Room Tip: little hotel by the sea has an amazing roof top deck that is awesome at night.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Paula B:
Thanks so much for your kind words about the Grande Colonial. We are delighted to have you and your family, friends and colleagues stay with us on business or for pleasure. Hope to see you back soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Redwood City, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

If you are travelling to San Diego and are looking for a fun and classy place to stay that is walking distance to many great restaurants and bars as well as the beaches, then this is your place. My wife and I were celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary as well as her birthday. When researching places to stay, the Grande Colonial was at the top of the list and I can see why.

The service was top notch. The first night I realized I left my cufflinks at home. I called the front desk to see if they knew anyone who had any. Yes, an odd request but they found me cufflinks right away. That's what I call service! The staff also knew some great places to eat around the area. They recommended the Brick and Bell for pasties and The Spot for pizza. Both awesome choices!

Housekeeping and the size of the room was also great! Our room was always clean and we loved how spacious it was!

It also doesn't hurt that this hotel has a lot of history (they are celebrating their centennial anniversary right now) and it right next to the ocean. The pool is also very nice. I just wished it was a bit bigger with fewer kids and facing the ocean but the ocean is just 300 feet away!

Also, valet was great. The valet guys were prompt and I never had to wait too long for my rental car. I couldn't imagine having to park in downtown La Jolla so it's great that there was valet service and the price wasn't too bad. Also, the location of this hotel is not that far from highway 5. Just a few minutes and you're on the freeway.

Overall, this was a great value and definitely is a 4 star hotel. Most places I would pay $400 - 500 a night for a place like this but it was only about $300 a night. Book this place if you want to treat yourself to a great time in San Diego!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Gus E:
I am delighted to read such wonderful comments! Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a favorable and comprehensive review about your visit to La Jolla and to the Grande Colonial. You pretty much covered everything and for that I thank you! I am looking forward to sharing your feedback at our weekly staff meeting and pointing out the excellent service you received from each of the staff members you encountered, particularly those who helped you with your cuff-links! That is exactly the type of service we strive for. Hope to see you and your family back on a future trip from Northern California. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
St. Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We loved our stay at the Grand Colonial in Aug 2013. We had ocean view, room 506, opened our window and saw the sunset and listened to the gulls and surf. The front desk staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Location is great, can walk to the ocean/restaurants/stores. Would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ocean view, top floor, room 506
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jgl99
Dear jgl99:
One of my favorite things to hear from guests about what they like about our guest rooms is the fact that you can open your screen less windows and take in the fresh ocean breezes and sounds of the seagulls and waves crashing on the rocks. It's a truly unique experience and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it, as well. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My family had two rooms at the Grande Colonial for 2 nights earlier this week. The hotel is very pretty and the rooms were just right. The best thing was the location -- right next to shopping and restaurant area and very close to the beach. You can walk to the beach where the seals are within a few blocks. The front desk and valet staff were all very pleasant and helpful. We would definitely go back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you very much for your very kind comments about your recent stay at the Grande Colonial hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, particularly our prime location in the Village of La Jolla and walking distance of the seals. I do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the future. Meanwhile, thank you again and enjoy your memories of La Jolla. Best regards, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Los Gatos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We loved this hotel! From the warm welcome with the doormen at the front, to the terrific bartender and the helpful staff, everything was top quality. The location is fantastic and our room was very comfortable. The bedding was amazing!! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants an upscale, elegant stay in beautiful La Jolla.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you, LKC2013, for taking the time to post some comments about your recent experience at the Grande Colonial. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay and will (hopefully) choose us as your destination on your next trip down from Los Gatos. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
charlotte, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

As a former resident of La Jolla nearly 20 years ago, I have my biases when it comes to a town I used to live in but perhaps I may be able to provide a fresh view as a visitor and hotel guest this time around. First, I chose Grand Colonial for a location, right in the heart of the Village, within a walking distance to everywhere- to the Cove, shopping, dining, etc. I think you will spoil an experience of visiting La Jolla if you don't take advantage of its unique "home size" town where you will be able cover it on foot. Second, I chose this hotel for the small size and charm and personality that come with it and I was right on. The hotel staff were very attentive and polite like you encounter in the small quality hotels in Europe. For some reasons, I ran into a lot of British guests staying there. I wonder this hotel has some European ties... And the third, I chose this hotel for the value. I think the rates offered are fair and very competitive. If you're to "live" in La Jolla even for a few days, you will have to pay the price. My 16 year old son and I stayed there for three nights and both of us were very happy. Yes, hotel is old and it shows an age but it can be overlook for the other benefits. Thanks for the hospitality. We will be back!

1 Thank sfogolden
Dear Sfogolden:
Allow me to take this opportunity to welcome you back to La Jolla. I can certainly appreciate your perspective of your experience as a vacationer having lived here many years ago. I hope that things haven’t changed too much since the last time you were here. I also appreciate your recommendation of our hotel. We pride ourselves on being a small enough hotel that we can provide more personalized service to our individual guests. It's because of this that I think we have been and continue to be a favorite of travelers from Europe. Thanks again. See you on your next trip back "home". Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 281 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 stars 1,812 reviews

Been to Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!