“Such a beautiful treat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Plano, Texas
“Such a beautiful treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this gorgeous hotel a couple years ago and then returned last week with our children. Both stays were lovely. The hotel is historic, clean, and luxurious. It features a comfortable and beautiful pool our children enjoyed very much, blooming flowers everywhere, and a short walk down to Children's Cove and over to all the shops and restaurants. We only needed our car for San Diego jaunts. We walked everywhere. Our three daughters (8,11,13) played chess by the fire, dined with us on the lovely terrace, and slept well in our junior suite. The rollaway bed was surprisingly comfortable and our suite was plenty large enough.

The staff treated the girls kindly. We worried it would feel wrong to bring children to such a fancy hotel, but they were welcomed and they behaved themselves well.

DH and I already booked our next stay and we only checked out yesterday. It is absolutely worth the money. We are springing for an ocean view for our next visit. The view of the street and hills was lovely, too. Truly, you can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Andrea –
What more can I say than "thank you"?! On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for all the great comments. I am so glad you chose to return with your three young daughters and even happier to hear that they enjoyed the hotel, amenities and location as much as you. We look forward to your next visit. Meanwhile, thank you again.
Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Asker, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Grande Colonial for three nights.
Excellent service, clean rooms, maybe on the small side.
Location is great, right in the downtown of La Jolla.
The parking is difficult if you want to avoid valet parking..
Return is absolutely possible!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Tomas:
Thanks for choosing the Grande Colonial as your destination during your recent trip to La Jolla. Sorry about the parking. We do only offer valet parking to our guests. While there is street parking available, it can be difficult especially during the summer. But we almost always offer a free parking special on our Trip Advisor page. So next time you visit be sure to take advantage of that offer. It's a $25 daily value. Hope to see you back from Norway soon.
Terrence Underwood
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel over the 4th of July weekend. Its a beautiful hotel, but you definitely pay for what you are getting. Since we booked last minute for a major holiday weekend, it was pretty pricey. However, it was so worth it as we were walking distance to all of the great spots in La Jolla including La Jolla Cove and the Children's pool. We were also a short drive away from La Jolla Shores, and the hotel provides beach blankets and chairs for you to use. The free coffee in the restaurant in the morning was also much appreciated! The bed was also extremely comfortable, and our room was very spacious.

• 4 of 5 stars
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear ges_10:
I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get a room with us over the 4th of July holiday weekend. It is indeed a busy time for us and the entire community and I'm happy we were able to accommodate you. I'm glad you enjoyed the beach supplies, as well as the free coffee. Hope to see you back from Houston next summer! Until then -
buffalo, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last July 4th week and had a better experience last time overall. Cons: The main letdown was having to wait until just before 5 pm to have our room cleaned. Pros: helpful valet, delicious room service from Nine-Ten restaurant, location, and cleanliness. Would stay here again if we could get a better rate. $319 plus taxes, parking, and lots of tips turned out to be a fortune! Got a much better rate last year.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear nml3:
The July 4th holiday here in La Jolla is perhaps one of the most popular (and most fun) times of the year for our community. Like you, we welcome travelers from all over the world who return each year to celebrate the holiday and enjoy the great weather, beaches and of course our fireworks display at La Jolla Cove. I just hope that those who are visiting receive a high level of service and value for their vacation that they are compelled to come back the following year. Should you choose to come back next year and stay with us, please do visit our Specials & Packages page on our website, as we are always offering specials that you may want to take advantage of (we also always have a special offer right here on our Trip Advisor page that you can use). I do hope to see you back for July 4th, 2014!
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with top-notch service. They have managed to maintain the historical character of the hotel while updating the facilities to reflect modern standards. The lobby is elegantly furnished with tasteful chairs and tables and offers a cozy fireplace. The pool is small but comfortably heated and pleasant to sit around or relax in. We stayed in an ocean-view king. The room was a bit small but fine for our needs and did offer a nice view of the ocean (partially blocked, unfortunately, by the condo building). Windows open fully for pleasant ocean breezes; between the open windows and the ceiling fan we didn't even need the A/C. No room fridge, but one was supplied when we asked. A nice looking TV, but we didn't try it. The bed was very comfortable, as was the shower. As noted, the service was exceptional. Valet parking was complimentary through the Tripadvisor promotion, and they let us keep our car there for a few hours after checkout without penalty (and even moved our luggage to the car for storage). They also let us check in at noon. Beach equipment (chairs, towels, umbrella) were provided free of charge. A short stroll to the beach (although as my wife insists, that's not the same as being ON the beach). My only real complaint is the price, which for the ocean view was almost $100 more than we paid at the (more) luxurious Grand Hyatt in downtown San Diego, but I guess that comes with the territory in La Jolla. We would have paid as much or more at most comparable hotels and rooms in the area, and those places can't offer the historic charm of the Grand Colonial.

1 Thank Indomeneo
Dear Indomeneo:
I was delighted to read your review. It was very comprehensive in terms of covering all the things that we also believe make our hotel so special and different from our competition. Most importantly the fact that we are indeed a historic property but we are committed to keeping it updated and modern, in a way that doesn't sacrifice our important heritage. Your points about the pool and rooms being on the small size are duly noted and I just hope that all the other services and amenities we provide make up for it. I am also glad you mentioned that you can open your (screen-less) windows in our guest rooms to enjoy the ocean air and breezes. It's something you can't experience in most other hotels and our guests tell us often how much they enjoy that. I trust that when you return to La Jolla from Boston, the Grande Colonial will be on your list of places to visit (or in this case, return). Thank you. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a wonderful vintage hotel with great staff! The location is fantastic, but we couldn't see the ocean from the hotel. The beds were perfect and it was very quiet. The negatives on the hotel is that we had two teenagers traveling with us and there is an additional charge, per person, when there are more than 2 people in a room with 2 beds. So it cost us $80 (2 nights)over the room cost advertised, so be aware of that. No breakfast is included with the room. The other negative is it had a TINY bathroom!
But we loved La Jolla and day-tripped into San Diego (which is very expensive to stay in!)

Room Tip: If you can afford it, I believe the ocean view rooms would be best.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear LetsGoRide:
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I’m glad you enjoyed the hotel’s vintage charm and our friendly staff. I also appreciate you bringing to my attention the fees you were charged for your teenage children. You have compelled us to take another look at our policies relating to children and we will certainly be making changes immediately. Please know that our team will be issuing you a credit for the $80 you were charged. Meanwhile, thank you again for bringing this to our attention. It is only with this kind of feedback that we can continue to make positive changes for our guests.
Fountain Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I really wanted to give this hotel a 5, but after spending a couple nights there, I can't quite get to a 5. I came in knowing it was a 100 year old hotel, so I don't think it's fair to dock points based on that. I do think you should know that means that the bathroom door wouldn't close all the way or one of the windows' two locks wouldn't work. With that said, to spend $500/night for the Centennial Celebration Package, I think I should be entitled to have high expectations with respect to other things. For example, I was disappointed with the furniture and bedspread. It didn't feel "fresh," but was rather a bit faded and older looking. I think I was most disappointed by the fact that the hotel promises "twice daily housekeeping service" with "evening turn-down service," yet failed to come both nights we were there. It's unacceptable when one is paying that much for an Ocean View Junior Suite King. I know most hotels don't even offer turn-down service anymore, but when you say you do and you charge that much, I personally believe you better do it. As far as the service goes, I think the people there were really friendly and helpful--whether it was showing us local tourist spots or telling me I needed to get to the Manta ride first at SeaWorld before I got stuck waiting in line (great tip by the way!). Front desk was friendly, maid service was friendly, valet was super friendly, and the waitress at Nine-Ten was friendly (5 stars at Nine-Ten--you can read my separate review on that!). In Rm. 510, we were able to view the ocean from all three windows of our room and we could see the pool below us. I thought maybe we got the best view of the ocean from that room, but the downside is it's right next to the elevator and even after having plenty of wine the night before and being a heavy sleeper, I was still awoken by the sound of the elevator going up and down starting at 6am. Although the ocean view was beautiful, at $500/night, I'd expect to be right on the beach. (I know La Jolla is just an expensive city, but see my review of Southernmost on the Beach in Key West for my idea of a 5 star hotel if you think I'm being a bit harsh--also $500/night there.) Although our package included $100 credit toward Nine-Ten and $25 valet per day (which was great because it's so difficult finding parking in La Jolla!), I appreciated the experience, but I don't think I'll be back. However, if you're a non-California resident and want to splurge, it may be worth it to you.

Room Tip: 510 had a beautiful view, but bring earplugs!
1 Thank Happy B
Dear Happy B -
Allow me to first thank you for choosing to stay at the Grande Colonial during your recent trip to San Diego. You touched on so many positive points about your experience and I am very happy to hear that you were pleased with the level of service you received from our staff in both the hotel and restaurant. That type of service is certainly what we strive to provide. But I am well aware that it can take only one problem, however big or small, to change one’s mind altogether. We clearly failed in providing you with two very important service amenities (twice daily housekeeping and turn-down service). These amenities should never be missed for any guest in any room type and I am very sorry to hear that we did not fulfill our promise to you. Rest assured that I will be following up immediately with our team to ensure it does not happen again. I thank you once again for your patronage and hope you will choose to give us another chance in the future. Best regards, Terrence Underwood / General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
4.5 of 5 stars 1,852 reviews
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#7 of 24 in La Jolla
4.5 of 5 stars 680 reviews

Been to Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!