New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Grande Colonial La Jolla

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Sydney, Australia
“Great location in La Jolla”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location, right by the seals and the shopping parts of downtown La Jolla.
We stayed here multiple times and each time the rooms were very different. Make sure you check out the rooms when checking in. One room we had was facing the village on the corner and on a Saturday night lets say is not a quiet room. You can actually hear the nightclub across the road. Another time we had a junior suite which was very spacious with ocean view room, this was very quiet and very comfortable as there are 2 desks for me to work on my computer. The last time we were there we were at the smallest room in the hotel. A little claustrophobic for me but one people may find it quite quaint.

A small pool, but didn't look very inviting, no hot tub, no gym in the hotel. I think there is one in the village but I didn't go.

Food from the restaurant Nine-Ten was mediocre, to me it wasnt anything outstanding, I didn't have the urge to go back for more.

Staff were friendly and professional, loved the fireplace in the lobby.

There are better options in La Jolla for the same price, but its not too bad overall I guess there are just more well rounded hotels in La Jolla.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Edina, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My main issue with this hotel was the noise. We stayed in a corner room on the 4th floor "overlooking the village". Well, don't plan on a good night sleep considering the noise coming from the street and the bar about 2 doors down. Hotel was okay, clean, etc., but the noise was a major disappointment. Tough to enjoy a vacation when you have a terrible night sleep - multiple times. They could have moved me, for an extra money - really?

When I called before our stay to inquire about possible noise, the night receptionist said it was not an issue - wrong. I talked to Kim [--], Assistant General Manager, when I checked out and voiced my concern. She said she would get back to me in a couple hours - that was almost 2 weeks ago.

Also, there was one plugin in the entire main living area/bedroom. So, to plug in a laptop or phone we had to unplug the lights or coffee maker/etc.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Paul R
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent three nights there and the hotel staff was amazing. Anytime we needed anything the staff was efficient, quick, and friendly. On check-in, we were really pleased that they asked what time we wanted our room made. Our room was really nice and we could walk to everything.

We did a separate review for the Nine-Ten restaurant attached to the hotel and the restaurant is incredible!

We will be coming back.

• Stayed April 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Traveled to La Jolla with my wife and 11-month old son in November 2012 and spent 10 nights there. We chose Grande Continental based on TA reviews and can attest this is a fabulous place to spend a family vacation.

As we traveled with a baby we needed a place that was secure, clean, within easy walking distance to the shore, and also offered an option to stay at an apartment with a full-sized kitchen (as opposed to a kitchenette) as we needed to prepare baby food. Happy to report that Grande Colonial delivered on every count - and then some!

The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable, service unobtrusive and readily available when needed (my wife dropped her diamond earrings into a sink very late one night and the plumber was there within 4 minutes!), valet guys took good care of our SUV and the location was unbeatable.

Plenty of little shops (try designer eyewear at Optical Shop of Aspen just opposite in Prospect Street), organic cafes, beautiful promenade just around the corner with very international crowd, the aquarium, WholeFoods a short drive away - my wife is still raving about that visit and La Jolla with Grande Colonial is now promptly on our to-visit list for many years to come!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My room was shabby, clearly in need of fabric/rug cleaning and musty smelling. It was not at all clear in the booking process that entry to my room was from a not very well lit side street rather than the lobby. When I requested that be addressed, I was offered another room in what I can only term the Motel 6 behind the Grand Colonial.

The hotel is a La Jolla landmark....was most disappointed to find the general standards so low despite a profoundly self satisfied air...

Room Tip: Be careful not to be located in the Garden terrace or little hotel rooms....However, based on my ove...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank claireo947
El Segundo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is undeniably a La Jolla legend, but this legend clearly rode down the block long ago. I saw that another reviewer said s/he “wanted to like this hotel, but could not.” I feel the same way. I have stayed at La Auberge del Mar many times, and I guess I hoped that this property could infuse history and modernity tastefully like that Del Mar gem. I was wrong. The property is average and the price is excessive. My room (411) was smack across from the lift, which we were able to hear crying out to us all night for replacement. In other words, the lift itself was noisy. Our room was small and unremarkable. The bed was average, though I did like the fact that the windows could be opened. This is always a plus for me. The View was of the town – a view of Panera Bread, to be exact. I like their food, so that was fine. The miniscule bathroom was a slight step up in size from some of the Tokyo hotel micro bathrooms I have experienced. The sink drain – and my daughter’s toothpaste - took ages to drain. The pool was not much larger than the bathroom (ok, I exaggerate, but you get the point). The lobby was quaint and the restaurant seemed to do well. Maybe the suites are better than my room was - I sure hope so. It is time for a hotel makeover. The hotel's ghosts would probably appreciate that.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank WhiskyDoc
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear WhiskyDoc:
I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. While I appreciate your comments about the hotel being a “La Jolla legend”, I am very sorry that the accommodations did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves in the fact that we are indeed a historic hotel (2013 marking our Centennial anniversary). We go to great lengths to enhance the feel of our still intact turn-of-the-century architecture while maintaining a keen focus on modern sensibilities and contemporary sophistication through ongoing updates and renovations. But being a historic hotel, there are things that we cannot change. One being the size and layout of our bathrooms. We are also in the initial stages of planning our next rooms’ renovation, which will take place sometime in 2014. I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future. If so, I invite you to reserve one of our suites and/or an ocean-view rooms, rather than the Village view room you reserved this last visit. I think the spectacular views they provide (along with the fresh ocean breezes from the windows that open) will be more in line with your expectations. Meanwhile, thank you for your feedback.
Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife, kids, in laws and I spent five memorable nights at the Grande Colonial last week. It has the complete package - fabulous location overlooking and walking distance to the water; beautiful common spaces and grounds; spacious, well-appointed rooms; and gracious, helpful staff. Walking distance to the dozens of charming shops and restaurants of the village of La Jolla. Easy drive to Sea World, San Diego Zoo and Safari Park, Torrey Pines, and a longish drive to Hollywood.

The staff were uniformly wonderful. The front desk staff were friendly and eager to help with all questions from restaurant recommendations to directions to shopping tips to health club arrangements. The bar staff were great. Even the front door team were enthusiastic and warm.

Would love to visit again!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4.5 of 5 stars 1,852 reviews
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#7 of 24 in La Jolla
4.5 of 5 stars 680 reviews

Been to Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!