We were celebrating my wife's 50th birthday and the hotel was informed of this prior to our arrival. It was unfortunate that not a word of this was mentioned during our stay, even though your 4-star rated hotel had knowledge of it. However, that was the least of our issues. Upon checking in to the room, there were not hangers in the closet or stands for our bags. The bellman quickly retrieved 4 hangers for us, not nearly enough given there are no dresser drawers for clothing in the room. I phoned the front desk asking if there was more storage space in the room and requested more hangers. 6 more hangers arrived in the room a few minutes later. We could not believe that a 4-star rated hotel would treat us with such disrespect. I would think someone other than a maintenance person would come to the room to discuss our complaints. Also, there was no safe to be found in the room, which we needed. After 2 days, I complained once again at the front desk. The front desk manager went up the room with my wife, and indicated there is another closet in the room. The door was stuck, and once she opened it, it contained tons of hangers, a safe and iron/ironing board. We told her we had tried to open the door, but couldn't and thought it was a door to an adjoining room. At that point, all she seemed to care about is finding out who our valet was that first brought us up to the room so she could reprimand him. We did not even get an apology. This was another turning point in our stay and we could not believe that a 4-star rated hotel would handle a situation in this manner. I was irate, and the front desk manager knew exactly how I felt. Later that day we returned to a phone message from the front desk manager indicating that she had talked to the valet and he was reprimanded. Again, no apology. She did say that the valet parking would be gratis. I'm sure that was only offered because we had only used it the first night and had parked the car in a free 24-hour space the following two days. Wow, thanks Grande Colonial for the $25 discount. For the remainder of our stay, the staff seemed to treat us like outlaws, especially the valets at the front door. I'm not sure what the front desk manager said to the valets, but it must have been bad enough that they were upset with us. Our 4 night stay at the Grande Colonial was most certainly the only blemish on an otherwise fantastic time in La Jolla.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel. For more than a century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders more than 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West. Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla