“Bad Experience”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We were celebrating my wife's 50th birthday and the hotel was informed of this prior to our arrival. It was unfortunate that not a word of this was mentioned during our stay, even though your 4-star rated hotel had knowledge of it. However, that was the least of our issues. Upon checking in to the room, there were not hangers in the closet or stands for our bags. The bellman quickly retrieved 4 hangers for us, not nearly enough given there are no dresser drawers for clothing in the room. I phoned the front desk asking if there was more storage space in the room and requested more hangers. 6 more hangers arrived in the room a few minutes later. We could not believe that a 4-star rated hotel would treat us with such disrespect. I would think someone other than a maintenance person would come to the room to discuss our complaints. Also, there was no safe to be found in the room, which we needed. After 2 days, I complained once again at the front desk. The front desk manager went up the room with my wife, and indicated there is another closet in the room. The door was stuck, and once she opened it, it contained tons of hangers, a safe and iron/ironing board. We told her we had tried to open the door, but couldn't and thought it was a door to an adjoining room. At that point, all she seemed to care about is finding out who our valet was that first brought us up to the room so she could reprimand him. We did not even get an apology. This was another turning point in our stay and we could not believe that a 4-star rated hotel would handle a situation in this manner. I was irate, and the front desk manager knew exactly how I felt. Later that day we returned to a phone message from the front desk manager indicating that she had talked to the valet and he was reprimanded. Again, no apology. She did say that the valet parking would be gratis. I'm sure that was only offered because we had only used it the first night and had parked the car in a free 24-hour space the following two days. Wow, thanks Grande Colonial for the $25 discount. For the remainder of our stay, the staff seemed to treat us like outlaws, especially the valets at the front door. I'm not sure what the front desk manager said to the valets, but it must have been bad enough that they were upset with us. Our 4 night stay at the Grande Colonial was most certainly the only blemish on an otherwise fantastic time in La Jolla.

Room Tip: The rooms do not have any dresser drawers, only closets with hangers. The bathroom does not have any...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Todd -
I was very sorry to read your review about your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. We take great pride in the levels of service we provide our guests from the initial arrival, to the check in process, to the orientation of the guest room amenities and all the way to check out. Your experience certainly does not represent the norm and I do apologize again for the inconveniences you and your wife experienced. If you would like to discuss anything in further detail, I welcome you to contact me directly at (858) 729-5380. Thank you.
Terrence Underwood

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Room: 521
King Room – Partial Ocean View

I stayed at The Grand Colonial for an overnight on a business trip. Upon walking through the door into the lovely lobby area, I fell immediately in hotel love. The location is perfect for walking around La Jolla village and it’s also within an easy walk to the ocean.

The décor is gracious and sophisticated with an Art Deco feel, featuring blues, pale yellows, creams and ochre. The moldings of this historic building are ample and ornate and keep your eyes moving around the room. The ambience reminded me of another favorite hotel, The Mark Hopkins in San Francisco.

We arrived right at 3:00 pm, along with several others but the check-in process still went quickly. The staff was friendly and helpful. I was pleased when Andrew (who had worked with me by phone when making my reservation) came out to greet me when he heard me registering.

We stayed in a lovely, corner, King Room on the 5th floor with a partial ocean view. The room featured eleven different fabrics, mixed to perfection. The color scheme was blues, yellows, oranges and greens.

There was a large walk-in closet, flat screen TV, an extremely comfortable king bed with several pillows. A dining area with two chairs that also served as a desk and work station. The bathroom was true to the period of the building with black and white floor tile, crystal door knobs and chrome fixtures. The entire room and bath were fresh and exceptionally clean.

Our room was on the corner of the building with two large, unobstructed windows facing the ocean and one large window behind the bed which also provided a view of the village street. The negative in regards to the view was that the windows overlooked a parking area and there were some trash dumpsters in the alleyway. Unless you walk right up to the windows, you don’t really see it though. You see the ocean view without seeing the street below. But it is there. The windows also open allowing you to enjoy the ocean breeze.

While at the hotel, we had drinks and h’orderves in the Nine-Ten Restaurant and Bar. We ordered the Lamb Meatballs, Cheese Plate and Prosciutto & Manchego Cheese Croquettes . All were excellent. I highly recommend it.

Later in the evening, we had room service for dinner. This was my only disappointment with The Grand Colonial. The in room dining menu didn’t offer many choices. We ordered the chicken sandwich and the hamburger, making a couple of simple requests for condiments and toppings. These were not done. The food was good but there was basically no presentation. It seemed out of character in the lovely surroundings. Perhaps my disappointment with room service was only because I found everything else to be so wonderful.

Three things I liked (in this case I’ll say loved):
The décor. Every bit of it was stunning. (Take time if you can to view the photography placed throughout the hotel.)
The attention to detail and maintaining the properties historic charm and features.
The cleanliness of the hotel is exceptional.
And one extra – check out the seal cam that is broadcasted live on the TV!

Three things I didn’t like:
Our room service dinner experience was a little flat.
I had to request that the parking fee be removed from our bill as it was included in our rate.
It’s said that the hotel may be haunted and I didn’t see anything!! Darn it!

I would highly recommend The Grand Colonial in La Jolla! I hope to come back soon when I can spend more time.

Room Tip: The hotel only has five floors, so try for the top for better views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of our coastal California trip. What a great start to our vacation. The beds were comfortable, the staff was very accommodating, and La Jolla was really nice. We only had one full day in La Jolla and tried to see as much as possible. We went to the highest point in La Jolla and had a great panoramic view of San Diego and La Jolla. We also went to watch the gliders. We went to the children's beach, the Coves, and the Caves. It was $4.00 to get in the caves, basically a long flight of stairs, maybe about 100 down and then a 5 minute look at the cave, maybe not worth $4.00, but then again it was only $4.00. We choose the valet parking for $25.00 per night, which is 1/2 the price of major cities, so I thought the price was fair. Did not want to search for parking. The location of this hotel was perfect as we walked to most everything. I felt the hotel was extremely clean, the room was sufficient, the view superb, and the bed was super comfortable. If we ever visit La Jolla again, would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 424, corner room with ocean view. I think this may have been one of the best room...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We took a family vacation to La Jolla in August. It was my husband, myself and our (then) 11 month old son. You can't beat the location. You can walk to everything and the water is very close. We found the valet/bell hop and front desk team to be sub-par. We were there for 4 nights and they never once seemed to remember us. We did eat in the restaurant once for breakfast and had drinks there one afternoon. It is lovely, the service was very good and the food wonderful. This is a very old hotel and so the walls are very thin. There was a weird set up that after you exited the hallway, you went down a hallway and then down some stairs. This was not convenient with a stroller. But the room location was probably because we chose an ocean view room. Lovely hotel but service is really important (especially at this price point) so I would try a different one next time around.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Grande Colonial is right in downtown La Jolla and is a beautiful old residential hotel. The rooms are very nice with big windows that open and very soft beds. nice patios and pool as well. The location means you can walk to just about anywhere in town which I prefer.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front have the nicest windows if you like fresh air but you are on the main street...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The best part of this hotel by far is its location in the heart of La Jolla within a few minutes walk of the ocean and with plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby. On the website under "Specials & Packages", was a special for three nights in a suite for the price of two, making it more affordable. The room was spacious, had a sleeping area, a living area and a generous dressing area, the bed was comfortable. The decor itself was a bit old-fashioned and gave the feel of a grand hotel past its prime. In a living space so close to the ocean, sand and salt air, I find thick carpet and heavy drapes and cloth covered furniture out-of-place because they invite stickiness. The valet staff were helpful, the room was cleaned daily and the children enjoyed the hotel's swimming pool (towels provided) although they complained that it was small. I used the valet parking for 25$ a day, I believe this price included drive in/drive out privileges. When the staff brought our bags from the room to the car, they neglected to bring my son's scooter. We didn't notice the missing scooter until we were in Florida, we then called the hotel and they sent us the scooter.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a fantastic stay in a junior suite in June 2012. We were a party of 2 adults, 2 children and 1 grandmother. The staff could not have been more kind and considerate of my 81 year old mother or my 11 year old twins.

When we wanted to walk down to the Children's Beach, the valet staff offered to pick up my mother in their golf cart so she would not have to walk back up the hill.

The room was spacious even with two queens and a roll away bed. The bed were comfortable. The entire hotel was spotless and extremely well maintained. It is much airier than that other hotel in Coronado.

The town of La Joya was so hospitable and the hotel was within walking distance to everything, even for the 81 year old in our party.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family