We took my mother-in-law to La Jolla for her birthday. We had wanted to stay at the Valencia, but found the Grande Colonial to be more of a value. I couldn't help look longingly at the peachy-colored and charming Valencia, which is just a short walk away and a little closer to the beach, BUT the Colonial was excellent. We had a great corner room on the fourth floor with a full ocean view (except for a big 1070's building in the way) and a lot of fog the first day. The room was spacious enough for the four of us. We liked the walk-in closet where we could store all of our stuff and keep the room tidy. The service was very professional. It feels like you are going back in time as you enter this historic building that has been maintained true to its original time period. It was decorated for the holidays with a beautiful tree next to a roaring furnace. The kids enjoyed their pool day. We were a little surprised there wasn't a hot tub as that would be nice by the beach. They did offer a little old-fashioned taxi that was very fun and convenient for an older person who couldn't walk a mile to a restaurant down the steep hill. We found everyone to be so hospitable in La Jolla. Cody's restaurant was excellent for breakfast. I wish I could get Chilaquiles like that somewhere at home. We'll definitely go back and for more than two nights next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel. For more than a century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders more than 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West. Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla