I've never gotten around to writing this review, although I did write a letter to the SD Union Tribune about the experience, which they never published, so I'll write this now; better late than never. The recent events with Sandy in New York brought this back to mind. In 2007 when firestorms swept across San Diego, we were forced to evacuate our home with our pets and whatever we could cram into two cars. By the time we got the notice, there were virtually no hotel rooms left in the city, and we were concerned about some price gouging that was happening. We were incredibly lucky just to have found a room. What followed next was remarkable. When we arrived at the Grande Colonial, we found the hotel filled with a rag-tag bunch of evacuees like ourselves (all the guests wisely having fled the city.) We were helped with what we were able to grab from our house to our beautiful room with an ocean view. The hotel then provided free buffet meals for all the guests throughout our three day stay. When we went to check out, relieved that our home was still standing and happy to find out that the manager's home was safe as well, we expected to pay a hefty bill. Instead we were charged for only two days of parking. The manager, whom I hope is still there, said he was happy to have provided a safe refuge for his guests in time of need. I have recommended this hotel to all of my out of town guests not just because of its beauty or location (which indeed is divine) but because of its heart. If the same manager is not still there, please follow in the path past management provided. It is a model that should be the standard in the hospitality industry. Thank you again, Grande Colonial.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel. For more than a century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders more than 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West. Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla