“Amazing Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Nevada
“Amazing Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband, 2 teenage sons, and I enjoyed a long leisurely weekend at the Grande Colonial. Hadn't been to LaJolla in almost 10 yrs so I wasn't sure where to stay. The reviews on Tripadvisor made my decision easy. The property is just lovely and I can't wait to return. Stayed in a Jr. Suite with an ocean view. Felt like we were in our own little cottage. Room was very clean. Beds super comfortable and very little noise from other guests. Bathroom was beautiful. Towels - soooo soft! Nice Gilchrist & Soames bath amenities provided. Chocolates left at turn down service very good. Huge safe in room. I could go on and on.....

Pool area very clean and pretty. Water nice and warm. Plenty of towels. We were able to take a few with us each time we went to the beach. Location wonderful!

The Nine-Ten restaurant serves declicious breakfast and so inexpensive. Wish we had discovered it our first day rather than the last! Great Italian restaurant a few blocks away. You can literally park your car and walk everywhere; which was great for my teenagers. No safety concerns letting them go off and shop and eat on their own.

Not pleased with front desk assistant(s); however, the hotel Manager promptly addressed my concerns after the trip, when I e-mailed him. The rest of the staff very courteous, but that is to be expected in a good hotel. We stayed at the Peninsula in Chicago this summer, Four Seasons in Las Vegas and the Montage in LaGuna Beach. All 5 star properties. Our adorable suite and experience with The Grande Colonial was right up there with the best properties and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Essex, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We were immediately made to feel comfortable and welcomed by the staff despite arriving at a busy time. We had a room facing on to the main street rather than the ocean. It was spacious, clean, and comfortable and were were happy with the view as La Jolla is such a pretty town. The hotel is located centrally and there is plenty of choice for dining out nearby. We did eat in the hotel's own "910 restaurant" one evening and it was special, well deserving the excellent reviews we had seen beforehand. (Also had breakfast there on three mornings -- again an excellent experience: great service, food quality, and plenty of choice). We enjoyed using the small pool and garden.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I will first start off by stating I had booked another hotel in the area, and as soon as I check in, I checked out-it was horrible, and nowhere to stay....

I got on the internet and starting making some calls and one was to The Grand Colonial, with no rooms available- I told them I needed room within an hour and I was staying for 2 months. I received a response back so quickly and they worked to accommodate everyone of my needs. One of the young ladies took the time to walk me thru the property and also show me the room.

Long stay-need a private, quite place with a kitchen and more. All my needs were met, to my surprise, and much more. Not only is everyone on the staff and Management Team awesome, but the hotel itself is breath taking..... the staff went out of their way to email me and give me an itemized bill 2 times a week-for the corporate traveler, you know how “Expensing” can be a pain, they made it so easy….

I'm not too picky, but it has to be clean, and safe for a single woman traveling by myself. The Garden Terrace Suites are amazing, they are a block or two from the famous "La Jolla Cove" The view is amazing, the pool is very nice, clean and quite.... I had a car-but rarely used it, everything is in walking distance. Restaurants-Eddie V's, great Steaks and Seafood-the view is something out of a movie. Prospect Bar and Grill across the street from the hotel-had live acoustic music most day, good food as well. Drug stores, florist, clothing shops, all within walking distance.

I had a kitchen, large bathroom with two sinks/large vanity. The beds were so comfortable, and modern and cleans!!! I have never had such a great experience at a hotel, and felt right at home !!

I could write so much more, and I know my stay was 2 months, but I look forward to going back even for a weekend, wouldn’t stay anywhere else......

Room Tip: Corner Terrace Suites are quite, and you feel like you have your own apt. The windows also open, wh...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dyann_12
Nashville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have to admit that perhaps my two negative issues are overly pickly because prior to our stay we were at the Wynn in a Tower Suite.

At the Grande Colonial we had a nice ocean view Junior Suite. The living area part of the room was spacious and comfortable. However, the TV was very small and for over $300 a night I think a bigger TV should be provided. I jokingly called it a large iPad. The bathroom was small and very cramped. I'm a large guy, so I ended up going to the public bathroom on the lower level just to be comfortable. The shower could use some grab bars for safety.

This is a beautiful hotel; very friendly staff; convenient location; worth the money; and I would return inspite of the prior mentioned "size" issues which may be just applicable to the room we were in -- #410.

Room Tip: Room 410 is for skinny people and those that do not wish to watch football games in their room. (My...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank jckspann
Fremont, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This hotel is a nice change from the more modern, look alike hotel chains. It was clean, well kept with nice service. The location was great and at the center of everything. Beds comfy, good shower water pressure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This place just felt good. Beautiful, views with lots of big windows in my room, the grounds were charming, the rooms spacious and well appointed and the service was so lovely from the front desk, the bar, restaurant, meeting rooms, wait staff, concierge and bell/valet personnel. It is right in the middle of everything and a short walk to the water. I would definitely stay here again. This trip started out as a business trip and ended as a family trip and this hotel accommodated both very nicely!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Carrie D
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We just returned yesterday from a five night stay. The hotel is an old property very well renovated and maintained. Our ocean view suite was very comfortable with operating windows opening onto the sea.
We commented that the light level at the vanity was inadequate. Within 30 minutes, an engineer changed the bulbs and the problem was solved. The staff, ALL, from the bellmen-doormen to housekeeping to wait staff and front desk, were excellent. No request was too much.
We have breakfast in our room every morning. The food was excellent and reasonably priced (for room service).
We went around the pool and the umbrellas were in use. I called and three men came down with an umbrella and stand from the terrace to fill our need.
I am recommending this property to my son for next month.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 281 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 stars 1,815 reviews

Been to Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!