“RAD”
Review of OEX La Jolla - CLOSED

OEX La Jolla
More attraction details
Owner description: The 5th Biggest Tourist Attraction in America's Finest City! Come Kayak, Dive, Surf, Snorkel or SUP with OEX La Jolla and you will see why!
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We went on the Kayak tour with Jenna and Molly, it was amazing. So much fun and the sights where amazing ! We will for sure be back and could not have gotten better guides !

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Wonderful experience for a 1st time kayaker. I quickly learned that teamwork and communicating is a must for a two seater. Our guides and other kayakers were very helpful, and awesome on our 10am tour on July 22, 2013. Also, loved the very trusting and laid back attitude of Chris who checked us in.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I, along with our girls (11 & 14) loved this excersion! Hunter and Garrett were our tour guides. They were knowledgable and gave clear instructions along the way. We could tell they really enjoy their job, and we appreciated their enthusiasm. The paddle wasnt too difficult for any of us, and it was fun to get up close and personal with the sea lions. Regarding the price, they didnt honor our expired Groupon's lower price and only gave us a $5 discount off of the list price. Sounds like they just wing whatever discount they want to offer at the time. Thus I'm only giving 4 stars. Would still recommend to anyone. It's worth the money and it's something fun to do in San Diego!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stopped to see if I could book a kayak trip before I bought the Groupon, and they went ahead and gave me the Groupon rate. Great deal! The total was $95.70 for three of us to kayak.We were the first group out which I highly recommend. There were only 5 in our group and the groups after us were huge, maybe even 20 in a group. We got to go in the cave one at a time and see the old alpha sea lion in there who reminded me of everyone's dad in his "favorite chair" that no one else could sit in. Our guide was Duke, and he dove down to try to take photos of the toxic orange fish that seemed to have a cloud of toxic orange dust around them..like Pig Pens of the ocean. So cool. We saw dolphins spy hopping and manta rays. The kayaking was easy and the ocean was very calm. Here is the best tip...keep paddling as you approach the beach. People stop paddling and that is why they get turned sideways and then the wave hits you sideways and you fall over. KEEP PADDLING!! After the kayak tour we went around the corner to the La Jolla Cove and snorkeled. That was just as fun. We rented the snorkel gear from OEX, too. If you go to the "Children's Cove" around the corner, please respect the harbor seal pups and do NOT go down to the beach. Just enjoy looking at them from the breakwater.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I had an overall negative feeling about this tour, but I want to be completely fair, so I'll share the positives and negatives.

Here are the things that were good about this tour:
-they were well organized and fairly timely. It was a very brief walk to the beach from their building.
-the guides were overall nice and friendly
-the kayaks were sturdy and nice
-the scenery was pretty and we saw some sea lions swimming next to our kayak, which was cool.

Here are the things that were bad about this tour:
-when we called with our discount coupon thing from Travelzoo, they said they couldn't honor it the day we wanted (a week away) because they only accepted so many per tour. They said they normally charged $65 though and if I booked right then, they would charge me $40. When we checked in, I chanced a glance at their screen with the reservations and noticed that almost everyone paid $40 or $45. Didn't see anyone using the coupon or anyone paying full price...hmmm...a little sketchy. Or maybe as another reviewer stated, a bait and switch.
-our tour group had 32 people in it! So, there were 16 kayaks with very inexperienced kayakers and children trying to huddle around the one tour guide that was talking at a time. It followed this sequence repeatedly: they would tell us to come in close to hear them, we would do so and eventually all bang into each other and get too close and then they would yell to us to back peddle...it was pretty hard with all of the kayaks and pretty annoying.
-I started to get really, really, really sea sick from the waves and the little kids that kept banging their kayak against ours as we sat listening to the guide and I was getting really annoyed with the tour. Since we had three tour guides and only one of them was doing all the talking, my husband and I paddled over to one of the others to ask if we (the two of us) could paddle the 50 yards back to the shore early. She said "oh no, I get sea sick all the time. It's no big deal. It's really a mind over matter thing.But don't worry, go ahead and blow chunks if you need to. We'll leave soon". Obviously, if I was going to talk to her about it, I thought it was a big deal. I was feeling so sick that the tour was not enjoyable at all. As a person working in customer service, she probably should have assumed that and telling me that it didn't matter was pretty poor customer service. When we noticed that the group didn't actually seem to be leaving soon, we paddled off without the rest of the group anyway and no one seemed to mind or say anything. For the record, we beat them back to the beach by at least 15 minutes, waited for one of the guides, showed him our stuff and walked back. It wasn't their fault that I got sea sick and I absolutely know that, but how guides/companies/customer service people respond when things don't go according to plan is kind of make or break. And I have to say in this case, it was break. If they had been super courteous or even just gave us the ok to head back, I wouldn't have such a negative taste in my mouth about the whole thing.