“One bad apple ruins it!”
Review of OEX La Jolla - CLOSED

OEX La Jolla
More attraction details
Owner description: The 5th Biggest Tourist Attraction in America's Finest City! Come Kayak, Dive, Surf, Snorkel or SUP with OEX La Jolla and you will see why!
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Everyone was great except for our tour guide Aaron. He had no patience with my daughter and was totally uninterested in the tour. The gentlemen (customers) on our tour showed more concern then our guide Aaron. I am an excellent tipper for good service but my only tip is that OEX cut the dead weight and replace Aaron with someone that actually wants to provide a wonderful experience for the customers. My daughter had never snorkeled before and he did not even explain anything and seemed inconvienced by her hesitation. I allowed the group to leave us behind for the sake of the other customers. I do not regret my decision and was able to teach her to snorkel and we had a great time on our own. Aaron did not allow us to stay behind and use the equipment for 2 more hours as stated in online brochure. I'm thankful that I got the tour at a reduced rate through Zozi. OEX La Jolla seems like a good company but our tour guide was a tool. He should be flipping burgers somewhere.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We had to reschedule our tour for the 4pm tour and had 40 people in our group. THis slowed down the whole tour, from teaching everyone kayaking basics, launching each kayak one by one and then keeping everyone together. The sights of La Jolla Cove are amazing, but because we had such a big group, we were unable to kayak thru the sea caves, we had a 5 minute break near the sea kelp forest. Otherwise it was a brief paddle & stop to look at the bluffs, the houses, the caves, and return back to shore.

Afterwards, we agreed we could rent a kayak and go see the caves on our own. Also, be aware there are plenty of tour groups out there, all taking turns in the water, you will pass several groups throughout the day.

I've heard OEX is great, I think we just got stuck with a large group, so make sure you ask how many people are in your tour. Parking is hard to find so leave plenty of time to look around.

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Chris was our guide. He was very knowledgable about the area. It was an interesting trip. Would definitely do it again.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Nothing like starting the day with a drive down to La Jolla with two cranky teenagers. But once their cranky toes hit the water...we experience a complete attitude change. Maybe it was the lushious cool water between their toes or the excitement of leading your kayak into the waves. Perhaps it was our ultra cool and hip guides that exhuded incredible confidence...don't know just happy the peace was restored. It was a beautiful day to be on the water. Too bad we couldn't go into the caves...waves were a bit much for that today. A seal hung out among us and the usual group of La Jolla Cove swimmers swam by. We took lots of breaks. My older son actually jump off the kayak and chilled a bit. Guide was professional and had a true passion for the local biozones.Thanks OEX you gave us a great experience at an excellent price.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Bought a half price package for two on Travelzoo. Worth it! We went on a Sunday in January and as it was a beauty of a day, we wondered why they had a fire going in fireplace in their shop when we went in to get our gear. It became clear once we got in that water though! We were very grateful we took the advice of the guys in the shop and rented the wet suits (2 for $20) as recommended. Tristan our guide and his 2 helpers got us all out past the shore break and we began paddling. All in all a very fun trip, and if you were from out of town-you would have learned a lot as the guides explained the difference between sea lions and harbor seals and talked about the cormarants and the cliffs and caves in the La Jolla area. We didn't get to actually go into the caves due to weather/tide conditions, but did enjoy the trip. NOTE: My husband did not get sore and had no problem paddling, but I don't have his upper body strength and I was very tired when we were done! Had to hit the jacuzzi when we got home for the sore shoulders. This is a good workout!