“After the Hype, a Little Underwhelmed, but Food was Okay”

Elijah's Restaurant and Delicatessen
Ranked #427 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York City, New York
“After the Hype, a Little Underwhelmed, but Food was Okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

This sit-down deli proclaims a reputation as the 'best' in San Diego and that may well be, but it's far from the best deli food ever. The place is located in the rear of a nice strip mall, and the service was very friendly and efficient. There's a little bakery at the front offering some New York standards, like black & white cookies and Havla that we did not try. When we arrived at 1 p.m. the restaurant was full, but a table opened up in five minutes or so. The menu offered deli fare and a nice selection of breakfast items. I had the veggie burger that the server said was made by the deli and it was good. My husband had an uninspired BLT with coleslaw that he evaluated as 'pretty good!' The fruit side I got had very hard pieces of melon and much better but fewer pieces of watermelon. I think the place is fine and offers many egg dishes that we didn't try. The crowd is definitely older; I saw a few under 40 but most others well over 60-80. It's worth a try if you are in the area and hungry. There's not any other sit down and dine in places in the mall that we saw.

• Visited April 2013

Arlington, Virginia
“Always on the List When in La Jolla”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Everytime I visit the La Jolla area, we eat at Elijah's at least once. Breakfast is excellent...I highly recommend the veggie omellete. When I ask for my omellete well done, it always comes out well done. When I ask for the home fries well done, it comes out well done. Matzo balls are "authentic Jewish" according my dining partners. Deli sandwiches are generous and reasonably priced. The "empire state" is "awesome" and "huge". A lot of food, good prices....well worth it. Service is also always very friendly.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank svdbf1
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Like being in Manhattan, but milder weather”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

While we were staying at the Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, we took the small gate to the adjacent shopping center to eat breakfast at Elijah’s Restaurant. It is extremely easy to find Elijah’s if you are entering from the Sheraton parking lot. There were three of us, and we were led to a booth. We noted there were also booths for two people. The servers were extremely friendly and eager to please, and they shared responsibilities efficiently. My son’s Reuben sandwich was delicious. My wife and I had eggs which were also delicious. The food came promptly, and the price was reasonable. We were sorry that we were not staying in La Jolla; otherwise we would have taken home New York style cheesecake and rugulach cookies from the bakery showcase. Many people were buying deli foods to take home. We note that the restaurant does catering, and it has a function room in the premises. We suspect that the same quality of food and service is available at lunch and dinner time. This restaurant is a good deal, and we recommend it.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Staidthere
San Gabriel, California
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I really really wanted to like this deli. Location is convenient and did I say hubby and I love deli's? We gave it a try after a half marathon so being hungry was not the issue. This is tucked away in a strip mall shopping center and upon entering appeared to be the real thing. As you enter there is a deli case to the left and right in front of you a glorious bakery display. The cakes and pastries looked heavenly and I anticipated choosing something sinfully delicious on our way out. We were promptly seated ( this was on a Sunday around 12:30 pm), but asked if the back room was ok. Never having been here we said sure and followed the host into a room best described as a windowless drab "hall" filled with tables and chairs lined up. If the food and service is good we can overlook the cosmetics of the room. We were seated and about 10 minutes later a person took our drink order. We noticed that several people seated next to us had no menus - so figured there was a server somewhere taking orders. Normally, if we are not at least acknowledged by a server within 15 minutes we get up and leave, however, we were hungry and wanted to like this deli. The person seated to our right was finally served his meal and he asked for a glass of water. He had to ask two more times and got up and left before it was brought to him. He mentioned to us that he can forgive bad service if the food is good, but his food was not good. Our server finally arrived and took our order. Our food arrived over 20 minutes later (really my husband timed it).. He ordered an omelet with hash browns and toast, I had the french toast. The toast actually came about 10 minutes after the rest of the food. My husband said his omelet was ok but nothing special. My french toast which was warm -not hot was flavorful. We decided to give a second chance and decided to order take out from the bakery counter. I ordered a black and white cookie and hubby selected the chocolate cheesecake. We had them later in they day and sadly they were disappointing. They were not favorable and ended up in the trash. The restaurant was really busy so maybe we'd go back for a take out sandwich - I wouldn't go back for sit down service.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank JAM4Boys
Northern CA, USA
“I love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I don't live in San Diego any more, but this is a "must go" place when I go home to visit. Pastries, cakes, bagels - everything is wonderful. I love their potato pancakes. It's a nice, friendly, family type of place.

• Visited September 2012