“Veery nice!”

Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego
Ranked #23 of 76 things to do in La Jolla
More attraction details
Owner description: With two locations, the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego is the region's foremost forum devoted to the exploration and presentation of the art of our time, presenting works across all media created since 1950. MCASD provides an unprecedented variety of exhibition spaces and experiences for the community, showcasing a dynamic schedule of exhibitions and public programs. Located in the coastal community of La Jolla, take in the fabulous ocean view from the Edwards Garden Gallery, or lunch on the patio at the Museum Café. MCASD La Jolla also houses the Museum's X Store, filled with a selection of contemporary art books, apparel, and innovative design objects. Situated directly across the street from the La Jolla Cove and within walking distance to the renowned Wedding Bowl in Cuvier Park, MCASD La Jolla's spectacular ocean views and distinctive architectural design make it an exclusive venue for your big day. Our La Jolla location offer spaces that are adaptable and elegant, from a grand reception with dinner and dancing in our remarkable Axline Court to an intimate wedding ceremony overlooking the ocean in our picturesque Pacific Union Pocket Park. History Established in 1941. Founded in 1941 as The Art Center in La Jolla, the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego (MCASD) has evolved into an organization of national and international renown. The Museum serves the region as a vital cultural and civic asset, with contemporary art and living artists at its core. The La Jolla location was originally an Irving Gill-designed residence, built in 1916 as the home of philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps. Today, MCASD La Jolla comprises nearly three acres of prime oceanfront property, including the Edwards Sculpture Garden. Venturi, Scott Brown & Associates' renovation of MCASD's La Jolla location opened in 1996.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed September 1, 2013

It was a nice surprise! Mer and my 19 yr old kid had a great time watching the exhibitions. I really recommend it when visiting La Jolla Coves

There are newer reviews for Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I am a big fan of modern art and when visiting a new city always aim to include its contemporary art museum in my itinerary.

This particular museum is the least interesting that I have encountered throughout the US and Europe. I really don't think that there was a single inspiring or thought-provoking piece.

It was so disappointing that my wife requested a refund and after some chilly discussion with the receptionist, she got our money back. Not something I ever expected to be necessary in any sort of art museum.

5  Thank mjk43
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We weren't crazy about the exhibition, which was OK, but the view of the ocean from the bldg. and the garden were spectacular. I also noticed the cafe did mad business; seemed to be very popular with locals so I assume it was good.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Enjoyed stumbling on this museum whilst walking around La Jolla Cove. We popped in for what we thought would be a short while with our family (14 - 19 years of age) but stayed for a couple of hours. We all enjoyed the exhibits despite the range of ages and found ourselves talking about the art for quite a time after. As a result it was great for stimulating an interest in the subject. Would definitely recommend a visit here!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The most spectacular work of art in the museum, year in and year out, is the wall of glass that allows visitors to view the ocean from a perfect lookout point.