“Mediterranean Restaurant was a bit of a disappointment” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Med

The Med
Ranked #57 of 1,238 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Herschel
Description: La V's signature restaurant is reminiscent of a villa overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. With its 7th floor terrace, adjacent to La V's signature La Sala Lounge, THE MED Ocean View Restaurant features al fresco ocean dining overlooking colorful gardens, a sparkling pool and the dreamy pacific coastline. Each of THE MED's three separate dining areas -the casual patio, main dining room and ocean view terrace- offer a new experience with a full range of menu choices. Live music entertainment can be heard Wednesday-Sunday in La Sala Lounge (adjacent to THE MED terrace) which is a great accompaniment, before, during or after dinner. Whether for spontaneous dining or an elaborate tasting prepared by the chef, you'll find THE MED a delicious escape any day of the week!
London, United Kingdom
“Mediterranean Restaurant was a bit of a disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

This review relates specifically to the indoor Mediterranean Restaurant.
We had a pleasant dinner in the Whaling Bar when we visited La Jolla a year ago and we decided to repeat the experience this year. Unfortunately this was not possible because it had closed and the room was being transformed into a European style 'Café la Rue'. We decided to try the main restaurant and we were shown into the Mediterranean Room. This has a rather gloomy appearance and the furniture where we sat had seen better days. The atmosphere was corporate America rather than the pleasant and entertaining atmosphere of the Whaling Bar. I ordered the filet mignon for main course and I specifically asked if the gratin potatoes contained cheese which I don't eat: I was told by the server that it did, but I was offered fingerling potatoes instead. When it arrived, it came with the gratin potatoes and had to be sent back. After we had finished eating we ordered espresso coffees The coffee and their cups arrived to be followed a little later by the saucers! The sugar then followed: a few white cubes on a napkin! This is not what one expects in an 'historic hotel'. I have given it three stars because the food was basically good: soup, crab cakes, halibut and a tender nicely-cooked steak were all satisfactory.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at The Med, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear London Diner -
My thanks for your patience and my apology for the delay in responding to your December 2013 review. . . . we have been busy!
Indeed the dining room was gloomy and in need of attention; at the time you joined us in late 2013,our attention was on the renovation and re-debut of Café la Rue. This sassy bistro and bar opened on New Years Eve Day and has brought a much needed more casual and lighter dining option to our guests and locals.
This spring our attention and investments turned to THE MED; the dining room, adjoining terrace and signature La Sala Lounge. All locations underwent an extensive renovation and restoration. THE MED dining room now sports an expansive oak floor highlighted by a custom designed inset carpet. Diners can select from cozy settees, plush club chairs or leather seated dining chairs - all offering views to the Pacific. The terrace is now graced by an elegant wood trellis with glass top for all season dining and La Sala's new bar is the spot for our nightly live entertainment.
THE MED menu is also making great strides with Executive Chef James Montejano at the helm so La Jolla now has 2 decidedly fabulous places to dine at The Pink Lady - La V.
Please join us soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
United States
“Average food, above average view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Standard brunch offerings prepared adequately, a bit pricey, but when you factor in the view and the serenity, worth the price of admission IMHO. Wait-staff was friendly and professional, perhaps someone has spoken with them about previous attitude reported here on TA?

I found the food, view and service all pleasant on this lazy Sunday morning.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear November 2013 Reviewer -
So sorry for not responding sooner - we have been busy with great changes!
A lazy Sunday brunch remains a highlight of a week in La Jolla and THE MED remains a must. Earlier in 2014 we completely renovated the dining room and ocean terrace - great food is now matched with beautiful furnishings and fabulous décor worthy of our exceptional views and great food.
And . . . our great food is getting even better with the recent arrival of Executive Chef James Montejano - a native of San Diego. Now at the helm of La V after several years in San Francisco at some renowned venues including Michael Mina - we are thrilled to have James in the kitchen.
Sunday brunch is still great - try us for a spectacular dinner!
Los Angeles, CA
“Mediocre restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I didnt stay at this hotel but wanted a lovely breakfast with a view of the water. Forget it! The food and service was simply mediocre......took awhile to top off coffee and such. Worst coffee ever!!! The view is from the side of the bldg and not along the view itself.....so not ideal. Again, this is a review of the restaurant itself so perhaps it's a lovely place to stay. But i was very disappointed in the quality of the food and service.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at The Med, responded to this review, September 21, 2014
Dear Guest -
My response in September of 2014 is very late to your review of October 2013 but lots to share. Chef James joined La V in June of 2014 and the impact on cuisine and dining at La V is exceptional. By demand we now serve brunch on Saturday and Sunday and menus have new additions seasonally to take advantage of the best in produce and product.
We do hope you try THE MED again - we're participating in SD Restaurant Week right now!
San Diego, California
“Hmmm”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I am pretty sentimental about La V so it's hard to not give it high marks when it's such a pretty Hotel with one of the better views around plus all the great times I've had here! I was sad when they decided Whalers had to go but it really lost its luster well before the management decided a concept change was what it would take to bring people in. IMO the concept wasn't tired but the really really good people (Staff) were gone and the slow slide in motion. I remember Eufemio, Manny and what truly made La Valencia (the people). Dining here was always fun, spending money here was a pleasure. I don't mind the front Patio and Med Room revamps, I miss Whalers and The Sky Room.
I'm dating myself probably but my personal history goes back to when the Patrick the GM lived where the Villas sit now. The Lobby Bar is still pretty and you can enjoy some very high quality music and good-excellent service. Patio dining could be better but it's not super busy and the Server although sincere wasn't fine Dining. The food is okay and the Dinner Menu sounds great but portions are too big and not great.
Med Room Breakfast is still good-maybe some of the old crew?
Drinks/Wine/possibly Bar Bites are the best bet. I would start or finish my Evening here but Dinner no...
I will hang in there for the next chapter when Whaler is reborn.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Valued Local -
I truly appreciate your memories of former staff and former eras of dining at La V. I must say you are indeed dating yourself with mention of the former GM from 2 decades ago. The beauty of La Valencia and her restaurants is that they have crafted, evolved and debuted new dining concepts and options for almost 9 decades to satisfy the ever changing expectations of new and old generations. The Skyroom was the bomb when it launched in 1957 but not relevant in todays vast selection of choices. Likewise the dark and diminutive Whaling Bar had become a novelty venue for once a year occasions. Many of the staff you spoke of moving on years ago - one thing La V knows is that change in constant.
With that in mind THE MED recently received a much needed renovation and restoration. The new Café la Rue is quickly becoming a locals favorite and a La Jolla people watching hot spot with large windows to Prospect and sidewalk seating - we have opened up La V to the public. More importantly, our kitchens are bustling with the creative talents of local native Executive Chef James Montejano. And finally, our service team recognizes the importance of personable and professional service and vales the loyalty of our patrons - new and old.
Thank you for sharing and please keep THE MED in your favorites list.
Malibu, California
“Very rude staff!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

My mom and I went there for breakfast last week,and sit down outside such we came there for the ocean view.
A Very rude ,broken English spoken waiter came and told us we could not sit on terrace. I requested to talk to the manager such my mom and I were already sitting down ready to eat and relax before to head back to the airport.
The manager let us had breakfast there but told us the staff did set the terrace Til 830 am.
Guess what? Breakfast is 6 am to 10 am! So they should get there staff setting up the terrace before 6 am! Especially in this kind of establishment the Custumer should not be told to wait!So anyway we order some Food,I'm French so I'm used to the best services and food. The service was very poor ! We finally got the food after waiting 10 minutes when it's was empty we were only Custumer with fews others inside.the food Was just ok.
I cook better and eat better when I make my one breakfast!So anyway, we then order a plate of fruit and requested the check such we had leave for the airport .10 minutes passed they never came back with our fruit plates or the check! The waiter totally ignored our request, so of course I stand up ,went to front ask to pay the check and cancel fruit plate we were waiting on for ever!I will never go back there ! The view of the ocean in great but eventually I get a better view in Malibu or Antibes and the service is superior in France in less expensive place. I'm very disappointed such any moment I spend with my mom is precious such she lives in France.we went to all upscale place in La Jolla &Malibu &Hawaii and the Valencia is the worth place we have been to. When I don't mind spend lot money for food the service poor quality did ruin the whole

1 Thank Angelique U
Dear International Guest -
There is no excuse for rude service - you have our apology. I am also sorry for the tardy response to your review from the summer of 2013 - we are quickly catching up to some much needed social media opportunities.
Since your experience last summer, we have made many important enhancements to both the service, menu and dining room. From complete renovations to an infusion of creative culinary talent - THE MED is getting back on her game.
I will say however that our stunning La Jolla coastline and dazzling Pacific ocean views can go toe to toe to those locations you mention!
Cheers from the jewel of San Diego,