“Horrible food and service, not sushi atmosphere”
Review of Aloha Sushi & Hawaiian Grille - CLOSED

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kline
Description: Exciting, progressive culinary concepts and a relaxing, resort-style ambience has combined to Aloha Sushi Lounge as a dining must in San Diego area. One mere glance at Aloha Sushi Lounge's menu, featuring Asian Fusion dusted with Hawaiian influences, you will see that you are in for an incredible meal. Additionally, Aloha Sushi Lounge features traditional sushi offerings while fully embracing the "new wave" philosophy of sushi, which utilized non-traditional ingredients and techniques to produce sushi specialties that come bursting with an exciting new assortment of taste sensations. Aloha Lounge's tropical decor, highlighted by spacious cabana seating in their outdoor patio, not only lends the perfect complement to their delectable cuisine, it also provides the ideal backdrop to indulge in one of their many fine sakes, wines and sojus. Located in La Jolla and situated mere blocks from the legendary coastline, Aloha Sushi provides a local escape that is deliciously refreshing.
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Used a groupon and read the reviews ... but the reviews were unreliable or maybe there is a new owner or maybe that is why they did the Groupon deal (but I am glad that I only bought one). The hostess was nice, but she was ditsy and clueless, when we gave her our information apparently she didn't write our name down, just our party number and my cell number, but didn't ask for our name (odd). Then 1 hour later we were seated in the Cabana, and the hostess didn't give us menus, give us utensils or napkins and didn't tell the waitress that we were there (we were the last cabana. We waited for 20+ minutes until someone came and found out that the hostess didn't tell the waitress that we were there (according to the waitress).

So we order, and the waitress brought the ginger and sesame seeds were ordered but didn't bring chopsticks or fork to eat them with. STUPID! So we waited 5 minutes and then had to go get someone. Waited 30+ minutes for our sushi to and, by the time they served it, cold tempura which we sent back because it was cold and soggy.

Sake was horrible and cheap quality!! The sushi was made with old fish and tons of rice (I couldn't eat one of the rolls because it tasted so fishy and yellow tail is not supposed to taste fishy!).

WILL NEVER COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank christmaszorro2

Reviewed January 16, 2011

i tried going there tonight because it came highly recommended, and when we approached the hostess we were greeted with attitude. even though the place wasn't even half full, we were told there would be a 30-40 minute wait. fine. i casually asked "is this for inside AND outside?" and i was told (in a very nasty tone) "yes, there are people with reservations ahead of you. you should've made a reservation." so we put our names down and were asked for a phone number, and i asked whether they would call us when our table was ready, and was again met with a snarky response of "well yes, of course." then we were dismissed-- which i thought was strange because they had a bar. normally, a decent host invites you to enjoy a drink at the bar while you wait for your table.

after waiting for twenty minutes, and after thinking about how poorly we were treated, we decided to make our way down a couple blocks to toshi-san. they were crowded, but we were greeted warmly and the food was delicious. and i never did receive a call from the hostess. i have to say, this is probably the worst i've been treated in a la jolla restaurant, and i'm very disappointed. i work in a prominent la jolla hotel, and in the future when a guest asks for a sushi bar recommendation, i will be sending them to toshi-san.

1  Thank rcc_travels
Reviewed August 30, 2009

I was happy to find out that Aloha Sushi is open for dinner on Saturday nights til 10:00pm. I was quickly seated on the outside patio and waitress was very knowledgeable about the menu. Pls note, the sushi rolls are not daring. I did not see sea urchin or other exotic delicacies on the menu, but I ordered the lava-lava roll and it was delicious and very filling. I started with an appetizer- thai curry shrimp salad and this was the best dish! I'm still dreaming about it. I ordered the sweet potato fries just to nibble on & they were very good. For a Saturday night, it was pretty quiet but probably due to the economy. In the back & side of the restaurant, there are lots of outdoor cabanas for private dining/parties. I would definitely go back again b/c the food was fresh & delicious, again not for the adventurous sushi eater.

Reviewed August 25, 2009

I absolutely love this place. I have lived in San Diego my entire life and have eaten at many, many sushi places. This is by far one of the best in San Diego. Their rolls are all very unique, not what you would typically find at every sushi restaurant. The sushi chefs are very creative with their creations and every roll is delicious. I have brought sushi experts AND people who are pretty much afraid to try any sushi or fishy to this restaurant and everyone has loved it. The atmosphere is lovely, there is a great patio to dine outside and it is a perfect spot on a warm San Diego night. Highly recommend it!

Reviewed August 21, 2009

Food was pretty good, I had a salmon roll and some yummy avocado, unagi roll. Their Miso is really good! Service was terrible, I think that's the main reason why I didn't like this place. We were one out of two tables, and it was the worst service, and the waitress seemed in a rush. In a rush for what? Getting something for the only other table? Or for my tea which you forgot? Ok, obviously not the tea, because you still didn't bring it. The dessert was good too, we had fried bananas and icecream.
However it's in a location that's just far enough off prospect that parking's alright, it's got a great atmosphere to it, and the food was pretty good. Overall, it's alright, but it's not the sushi place I'd suggest out of so many in the area.