“Bait and Switch - Be Careful for the very small rooms…”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Booked a room through an on line booking site (two months prior to arrival), the rate was good but not great, $110 night. Upon arrival I was given a room on the lowest floor with a view of a parking lot (which cost an extra $15 a night), not a major problem except for:, the room as actually classified a as a “B” room, what that means is actually a two room suite that has a hallway that can lock away from the main room. The result was a room that measured 11X11 sq.ft really! Basically just a queen bed and a night stand on each side that was the entire room!
When I called to the front desk to be moved I was told that the hotel just booked up the night before because a fames golfer was in town (yep, Tiger). I told them that was interesting in that I booked months before and if the hotel just booked up, why was I in the worst room in the hotel, they finally came clean and told me its because I got a good rate and that was the best they would offer.

and the free internet, well it does not work (at all)
Never again, this was a scam……..

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank cdntravel2010
raugustine, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I would personally like to thank you on behalf of the Team at Hotel La Jolla at the Shores for your review. We understand how valuable your time is and greatly appreciate the time you took to write us this review. Please know when you booked your room through this third party booking site it was for a Terrace Room and not an Ocean View Room. As we were sold out all our valued guests including you sir were given the rooms which all guest booked. All rooms at the property have been remolded with beautiful wall panels, new beds, 42’ flat screen TV, full desks, new hanging night stands, new mattress, brand new bathrooms and in the our very nice A & B rooms we have all king beds. The Team at Hotel La Jolla at the Shores wishes you a nice day and hopefully we will see you once again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,138)

Reviewed February 7, 2011

Hotel La Jolla at the Shores had cool looking rooms, but walls that hid nothing about what was happening in the next room. Wow! Thankfully my neighbor went to bed fairly early. The decor inside is pretty chic, but the outer hallways tell a different story. Was here for two days for a work trip. Staff was pleasant, parking was a little pricey for the hotel. Glad it was during the week as I hear the weekends are crazy noisy. It turned out okay, and the price was right, but I would try not to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

I would personally like to thank you on behalf of the Team at Hotel La Jolla at the Shores for your review. We understand how valuable your time is and greatly appreciate the time you took to write us this review. I am also pleased to hear that our staff was very nice, helpful & attentive to your needs during your stay. We strive to make your stay enjoyable & assist in anyway possible. The Team at Hotel La Jolla at the Shores wishes you a wonderful day and hopefully we will see you again.

Reviewed January 17, 2011

We just got back from a 2 night stay at the Hotel La Jolla and we were very pleased. Many of the reviews are accurate but I would still recommend staying here, we are actually working to book a block of rooms for our wedding in May.

Every employee we ever spoke with was always very nice and helpful. We stayed on the 7th floor, wonderful view of the ocean! Our first night there was a band in the restaurant until midnight but we could not hear anything. The traffic noise could only be heard if the balcony door was open but even then it wasn't too bad. The location is really great, close to the freeway to go downtown and the other road takes you all the way to Torrey Pines, Del Mar & Cardiff. The beds are lower than normal but we had no issues with it. The pool area was okay, just a small pool and hot tub (we didn't use either). Parking was $15 per night but I thought it was worth it. There was always parking available and I've stayed at hotels in SD before that I've paid for parking but could never find a spot.

I'm even more impressed because my mom forgot her Ugg boots and a pair of Nikes in the closet. I called when we first realized it and the head of housekeeping had already left for the day. I called again this morning and Laurie was able to locate both pairs. They are being shipped to us (we have to pay for shipping of course). We were really worried that they might have been taken but no problems there.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank aproch

Dear Valued Guest,

I would personally like to thank you on behalf of the Team at Hotel La Jolla at the Shores for your review. We understand how valuable your time is and greatly appreciate the time you took to write us this review. I am also pleased to hear that our staff was very nice, helpful & attentive to your needs during your stay. We strive to make your stay enjoyable & assist in anyway possible. It is wonderful to hear that we will be seeing you once again for a very special moment in your life, your wedding. Please have a wonderful day and we all at Hotel La Jolla at the Shores look forward to seeing you in May.

Reviewed January 17, 2011

Friends booked this hotel for my weekend birthday getaway. My friend found an online special but we got "upgraded" when we checked in when I mentioned that it was my birthday weekend. Our room on the fifth floor was spacious and clean with a view of the ocean. The clear glass wall to the bathroom was not a problem (though we were in stitches for a good 15 mins!) since there was an electronic blind for privacy. The bar on the 11th floor came in really handy for my girls and I to start the weekend off right! The food and drinks were yummy! Live music was a plus. Older crowd and not as crowded after happy hour. Our room was quiet although the wifi wasn't working as well on our laptops but it did on our iPhones. Convenient location to explore La Jolla.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravelJunkees

Dear Valued Guest,

I would personally like to thank you on behalf of the Team at Hotel La Jolla at the Shores for your review. We understand how valuable your time is and greatly appreciate the time you took to write us this review. I am also pleased to hear that our staff was very nice, helpful & attentive to your needs during your stay. We strive to make your stay enjoyable & assist in anyway possible. I am also happy to hear your enjoyed the chic restaurant “Clays” on the top floor of the hotel. It is always our pleasure to hear that this was a special occasion for you and your friends and you enjoyed your stay. The Team at Hotel La Jolla at the Shores wishes you a wonderful day and hopefully we you aging for your birthday or your girlfriends.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

I read the reviews.... booked anyway and would stay again. So there!
That said the review are accurate. The room was really nice and comfy. We could just see above the trees to the ocean, really sweet. The front desk was great for service but the housekeeping... sloppy! The bar is great on the 11th floor. The internet worked 1 minute and not at all the next ... very frustrating!! You can see the hotel is coming apart at the seems... little things thou... I would say they are a wanna be hilton... the infrastructure is really nice... but they are missing the details. But all that said... I'd happily stay here again... guess I really want this place to succeed!!
Oh ya... the room above was noisy!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

I am also pleased to hear that our staff was very nice, helpful & attentive to your needs during your stay. We strive to make your stay enjoyable & assist in anyway possible. Please know you concern with housekeeping was addressed and corrected and please accept my apology. As for the internet this has been addressed with the service provide and we have upgraded the system to come on line shortly. I am also happy to hear your enjoyed the chic restaurant “Clays” on the top floor of the hotel. The Team at Hotel La Jolla at the Shores wishes you a wonderful day and we all hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2010

We statyed at The Hotel La Jolla at the Shores on a Saturday night. We checked in after a long day at an event at the La Jolla Shores Beach. We were looking to a clean and quiet room near the event. When we arrived at the room the television was on at a very high volume, the window was open, there was a strange and strong aroma and a maintenance cart outside the room. The front desk clerk changed our room and when I asked if it was quiet he said yes. WRONG! When we came back from dinner around 8 p.m. there was a band playing two stories above and VERY LOUD. Not peaceful or quiet. The front desk clerk told us that the band would stop at 10 p.m. and we could change rooms again if we so chose. We stayed and laughed a bit as the music played and crowd cheered two floors above. A total disappointment and do not recommend this hotel. I am always amazed at how that lack of service makes all the difference because the hotel seemed fine otherwise. Unfortunate but true.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We were extremely pleased with this hotel. They attendants were very accommodating...we are older and have a rice bag to heat after long travels. As there were no microwaves in the rooms, they told us we could use the employee lounge!! The bed was rather low to the ground, as was the commode, chair and table but we adapted. The bed was VERY comfortable - and we have a Select Comfort at home! We have stayed at several 4 star hotels and have never had a room as clean as this one. There was absolutely no mold of any sort in the bathroom....it was immaculate! The ONLY complaint that we had - and it was at no fault of the management or attendants, is that we had a baby next door that woke us up at night by crying so much.....we also would hear whenever anyone would get ice. We also weren't too pleased with having to pay $15/day for parking when people were parking there to go to Clays Restaurant upstairs....THEY should have been the ones to pay for parking!! The Attendant also told us how to get to the Scenic Coastline when we mentioned that we wanted to get to the beach (which was to be 4 blocks away). We never DID walk to the beach but went by his recommendation and the Scenic Coastline did not disappoint. All in all - a GREAT hotel and we will stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple