“I love this place!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“I love this place!”
Reviewed July 25, 2010

The hotel is in an amazing location.................no La Jolla hotel with a reasonable rate has a better view of the ocean. I've stayed here several times and have always been treated with great care............the front desk staff (and the phone reservation people) go out of their way to welcome me back each visit. The restaurant/bar named Clay's on the top floor has a spectacular view and the food and service are great. I feel that Laurie Iona, the front office manager, was really on her game during my last stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Virginia
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Recent stay for business was just OK.
Room: being located next to a busy highway/intersection means road noise. Even on the 8th floor with the door to the (small) balcony open, it's noisy. It didn't bother me when the door was closed and overnight (less traffic).
Service: I found the front desk staff to be very helpful.
Room: I had a room with single king-bed - plenty of space for one person. As many have pointed out, unusual design with a lot of glass around the shower (no tub) - not a problem for me. Balcony only large enough for a few chairs...I don't think sitting on the balcony with the road noise was all that pleasant.
Dislikes: be advised that if internet access in your room is a must, you will not be pleased. Wireless is available in the rooms, but signal comes and goes and is very weak for the rooms away from the elevator (where the antennae are located). I finally gave up one evening, complained, and was given access to a meeting room on the ground floor. Lastly, I could not figure out how to turn out lights from the bed, so you have to get up to turn the lights out - ugh.
Location: Next to busy road. But walkable to beach and Scripps. Restaurants and marts nearby.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My title says it all. You want to be informed about the area by the people who live and work in the area, especially when they are in the service of hospitality! There was none. Period. I left something in my hotel room and I asked them to mail it to my address. It's been over a month and nothing. I complained to the manager who said she would mail it back to me after sounding as if it were the hardest thing in the world to do. I asked for a no charge delivery as a courtesy since the front desk had sent me 2 hours in the wrong direction when I hopped on the freeway to find a place. Still waiting for my item. Called yesterday, someone said they'd mail it out. Very unprofessional. If I were the owners, I'd can the management and front desk and make sure that my hotel were properly represented by hospitality professionals. I would only recommend this hotel because of the proximity to the beach.

Irvine, California
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Only witness (along with wife) to a person jump from 7th floor and turned a great trip into a terrible trip.........Hotel manager didn't bother to talk to wife and I and then the hotel staff told us a person had recently jumped from two other rooms in the past 5 months and that one of the rooms is the one you are staying in (the prior week)......they moved us to another room and after returning home offerred us a one night stay due to the inconvenience.......my wife will never return and we both thought a one night stay was a pretty weak offer......

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bigbarrels
Palm Desert, California
Reviewed June 25, 2010

This is a solid 3.5 star rating (better than average, almost very good). We brought our 6 & 4 year old and our well behaved australian cattle dog here for a long family weekend at the beach. The hotel was clean & had no odor as mentioned in other reviews. The staff was friendly. The rooms were well appointed & recently redecorated with a hip, sleek style. The beds were just o.k. (but I sleep on a duxiana at home). The hotel shows minor wear (elevator door has scuffs, balcony-paint peeling, a few chips, dents in room). The wireless internet works pretty well with intermittent drops, but is free. Location is great; it is a 5-7 walk to the beach/park/playground (awesome for kids). A good value for La Jolla (just under $200/night). Would definitely come back and recommend to others!

2 Thank PD_Family_of_Four
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed June 23, 2010

i booked this hotel via hotwire for 5 days. The first night the tolet was plugged twice and the next morning it was plugged again. The fire alarm had a blinking bright white light that went off all night. The noise from the road was really loud.

They moved us to a new room one floor down which meant we lost our view of the ocean which was the only perk to this hotel. The phone didnt work.

The front desk did compensate by giving us 4 breakfast coupons but there were 3 of us and we were there for another 3 days they did comp us parking which is 15 bucks a day. i was travelling with a service animal which i carry tags on. We left a day early even though we paid for an extra night. I got home and they charged me a 75 dollar pet fee. It is illegal to charge for service animals....worst ever!

2 Thank wenroller
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2010

We ended up at this hotel via Priceline bidding for 70.00 per night. When we arrived, we thought, oh no, this place is a dump, mainly because there were no cars in the parking lot.
We proceeded to the check in desk, which is really a small counter staffed by one person. We were told that our reservation was for two rooms on the sixth floor, but the manager offered two rooms on the tenth floor since we wanted a nice view. However, he warned is that the eleventh (top floor) had a bar/restaurant which might get noisy, but only to 11 pm.
We accepted anyways, by now convinced that this was really no 4 star hotel as advertised on Priceline. But when we got to the room, what a surprise! Just gorgeous view on the Pacific, completely modern furniture and huge comfortable beds. Giant wide screen TV. Bathroom was equipped with glass lined shower with motorized shades since the shower looked into the bedroom.
The kids were equally pleased with their room, which was identical to ours. I asked the manager if all the rooms were the same and he said yes. There was zero problem with noise, I doubt the bar was even open. Everybody slept great and we had a great time.
The hotel has great location as well, about two miniutes walk to the beach, but you definately need a car to get around.
Only negatives I can say is that the hotel charged us 15.00 a day for parking, the lobby is really nothing to write home about, and the pool is on the small side. There is alaso some local riff raff hanging about, but that is true in any city.
However, they did have exercise room and free Internet.
All in all, for 85.00 a night, great value. I have no problem in giving this hotel a thumbs up.
Only b