“Not Bad..”

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Not Bad..”
Reviewed October 23, 2005

Just stayed here on a business trip, and it was ok. I would say the hotel is a bit dated, but all in all I have stayed in worse and for the price there was not to much to complain about. Its a short drive (5min) to downtown La Jolla which is great and a very short walk to the beach and Starbucks is right across the parking lot.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 14, 2005

I have been to La Jolla several times, and I have stayed at the Hotel La Jolla once. I would stay there everytime I go, but it is usually booked (because it is a popular hotel). I really liked this hotel. It was in a great location (walked to breakfast and the beach everyday). The views from our room were beautiful. I especially liked the complimentary shuttle to and from the shopping area of La Jolla. People who comment poorly on the staff and employees "being rude" is probably because they themselves were rude to the staff. I was greeted everytime I came through the lobby, the room service staff was always friendly, and the concierge was very helpful in helping us find good restaurants and activities. This hotel is reasonably priced (especially for La Jolla!), clean, decorated well, and in a good location. I recommend it to anyone, families and couples alike. As a matter of fact, I am booking a room there right now and will be staying there in a couple of weeks!

• Stayed June 2004
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Western Maryland
Reviewed October 4, 2005

My husband and I stayed there for 3 nights in late September. We received a wonderful room rate that included ocean view, breakfast and high-speed internet. Our room was on the 10th floor (and--as noted by others who posted reviews, we could hear some noise from the restaurant on the 11th floor--but this didn't create a problem). Great panoramic view of the Pacific from our room and also from the restaurant (which served good food). Room was clean and well decorated, with a comfortable bed and small refrigerator. It was only a short walk to the beach. Village with quaint shops/art museums/kayak & surfboard shops and wonderful seafood restaurants were very accessible. Concierge service was the BEST--with knowledgeable young men who knew the area--and provided free transportation within 5 mile radius of the hotel. Would definitely return.

4 Thank cbdbtravel
Reviewed September 24, 2005

I stayed here with my husband during our honeymoon. The room was on the 3rd floor and the housekeeping was terrible. We found underwear from the previous occupant on the carpet. When we reported the problem to the front desk, they neither notified the manager nor offered to improve our hotel accomodations. Luckily it was only for 1 night. We will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed September 12, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel La Jolla for Valentine's Day. In the past, my family always stayed at this hotel when they visited me while I was attending UCSD. This hotel is very convenient to the campus. It's only a 5 minute drive to the center of school. We received a complimentary upgrade to a suite when we arrived for no reason other than it was available. The restaurant upstairs is great with beautiful views. I highly recommend it for breakfast. The bed was comfortable but the showers were a little small. A suite would be great for a family since it came with two separate bathrooms and a pull-out couch in another room with a separate door.

• Stayed February 2005
2 Thank camseattle
Burnsville, MN
Reviewed August 29, 2005

We just returned from our stay in southern California. The Hotel La Jolla was our last stop, we stayed for 3 nights. We were on the 9th floor and had beautiful views and not much noise. I am very bothered by traffic noise but we kept the balcony doors closed at night and didn't hear a thing, they did an excellent job at keeping out any outside noise. The room was oversized,did have a small bathroom but I grew up in a house with a bathroom not much larger so it wasn't a problem. We found our room clean and it was made up whenever we came back from sightseeing or the beach. We used the do not disturb sign so housekeeping never "barged in".
Is within walking distance to many good restaurants and the beach. We drove up to the Village and I am glad we did not stay there, very crowded area. We ate a breakfast and a dinner in the 11th floor restaurant and had excellent service and meals. We had dinner on a Sat. and the place was hopping and lots of people dancing and having a good time.
The AC did go out the 2nd night(it was record heat when we were in San Diego) but was fixed by the afternoon. We did have to carry our own bags(as we did on Catalina Island and in Long Beach)but there were carts available and we saw one guest getting help with her many packages from shopping. The elevators both worked,in fact my husband noted how fast they were. The staff was very helpful in giving directions and letting us know the best time of day to avoid the traffic.
We plan on returning.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank Becky P
SF/Bay Area
Reviewed August 28, 2005

We stayed in room 808 on the 8th floor with an oceanview. The room was very warm and did not cool down even though we had the cool setting on high. The refrigerator did not work. It was warm and had a tray of moldy water. The room was very quiet which was nice. There is a lot of traffic in the area so I can see how noise could be bad on the lower floors. The restaurant is on the 11th floor and I was told by the hotel staff that the rooms on the 10th floor can hear the noise/music. The pool area was very small and I couldn't find an empty chair to sit down. There were about 20 or so chairs total. The fitness room was also small but it had the basic equipment needed for a workout. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We paid $159 for a Saturday night which included breakfast for two at their restaurant. The hotel is very average and I'm glad that we didn't pay anymore.

• Stayed August 2005