“Cozy indoor/outdoor lobby and great location”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cozy indoor/outdoor lobby and great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

This was my first trip to LaJolla. First impression was positive - very cute lobby with wood-like tile floor, eclectic furniture with wood and animal prints. Indoor-outdoor coffee/wine bar, bar and seating areas are definitely the highlight of the hotel. In the mornings the hotel offers coffee & tea and from 5-6 hosts a free wine happy hour social. Little extras such as little smore packets one night to roast over the outdoor fire pits, spinach smoothies for breakfast on national spinach day or the chef doing a cooking demo and making home made potato skins to accompany the wine hour were a lot of fun. Outside is a bar/pool area --the hotel has an excellent restaurant, Cusp and I was able to eat out by the pool and order food from the restaurant. Additionally, the hotel offered a collection of about five different newspapers daily which was nice. Props to the valet staff who was always prompt and friendly and the one bartender - can[t recall his name but he was from Woodbridge, VA who offered a lot of great advice.

The rooms was nice - nothing extra fancy but comfortable and had all of the amenities. However, for the pickier traveler there were some things that were not as perfect - not big things and I'm feeling a little spoiled mentioning them; however, here they are: Ironing board not in the room when we arrived, remote control not working well, no restaurant menu in the room -- despite asking for one on two occasions and being told they would deliver one, no communication about the internet service change out and very long tech support wait (30 min or mote), maid service forgot to restock shampoos and ran out of the floor mat towels, and most surprising was the a majority of the hotel staff -- particularly front desk - did not seem to know the area well so simple questions like 'where is a good place to walk', stumped some of the staff.

Overall, however for the location and the awesome lobby with the little surprises every day I'd stay here again and again and would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to LaJolla.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high level so you can have a view of the ocean
Green Features: Same as others -- hang your towels and they won't wash them.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mskrisanda
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you mskrisanda for the 4 STAR Review! I am happy to see that you had such a great stay and were so delighted by all of the activities we offer around the property for our guests. Thank you as well for the detailed feedback of where we missed the boat a bit, these details help make us better and will be used as a training tool for our team. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Shannon Foster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Ok, ‘in my view’ …. If you would like to stay somewhere that will give you a faux leopard-skin bath robe (with or without a cord), stay here; if you would like to stay somewhere that will give you a free glass of wine at 5pm, stay here; if you would like to feel slightly 1990s/boutique-hotel-revolution/’cool’, stay here. Other than those … if you want to stay in a hotel (yes, a hotel), consider this option carefully. I did and – because I had foolishly paid through a third party website in advance – I had to stay for four, horribly long days. Here are my concerns, all communicated onsite to the hotel management.

First, the hotel now only offers valet parking at $28 a day plus the usual tips for the more-than-hungry valets. I am sure when I checked the website in advance there was a non-valet option but clearly no more. You pay and pay. That added a packet to my trip. Not happy but, given car parking prices in San Diego, not a deal-breaker.

Second, I checked in to my room and it smelled slightly of … something unpleasant. I left to go shopping and came back to find it stank of sewage. I called the desk. They promised to send an engineer up. Ten minutes later, no one had come. I had to leave the room and stand on the open-air landing as the fetid stench of human faeces had grown so strong. I phoned down again. They sent a valet up with a new room key. The valet retched from the smell but helped me exit the foul-smelling bedroom.

Third, after checking me into a sewage-stenched room, the alternative they checked me into was smaller and directly over the gas station at the far end of the property. It cost less than the room I had paid for. Nice. You put someone in a room smelling of fetid human waste and then, to accommodate them alternately, you put them in a smaller, less appealing room than the one they had paid for in advance.

Fourth, I went to the desk to talk to the duty manager. He assured me none of this was ‘personal’. I laughed. Of course it’s not, I said. It’s just really bad service. A moment’s thought on his part would have prevented all the problems I’d just had. ‘How?’ he says to me mildly. Well, I say, your housekeeping staff should have told you the room stank of sewage and you shouldn’t have put me in there. Second, when I complained about, let’s face it, something pretty unpleasant, you shouldn’t have put me in a crappy little room (pardon the pun). If anything, your instinct as a manager should have been to upgrade me. ‘Oh’, he says. I get a suite for the night. It’s OK. It doesn’t smell of you-know-what. I take a shower. The leopard-skin bathrobe doesn’t have a cord.

Fifth, day two. I call down for some laundry to be picked up. No one comes. I call down and say no one has come and that laundry has to be in by 8.30am. I say, ‘would you like me to bring it down to the desk?’ Thinking the prospect of a bag of dirty clothes on the desk would put him off. ‘Oh, would you? Thanks,’ was the reply. So down in the elevator I go.

Sixth. The elevator. One out of two is broken. The entire hotel (11 floors) has to use one lift. The broken lift has a sign on it saying it is having ‘some R’n’R’ and there is a ‘temporary hiatus’. No, it’s broken; it is an inanimate object. It does not feel anything or choose to take vacations (as I do). It remained broken for two more days.

There were some good things about this hotel. I am not sure what they were but I got the feeling it had potential. It looked very Californian, ‘70s Californian and it was close to a beach and a little shopping area. It had a nice bar off the lobby. I think that is about it. So, for me, this is one to choose only if the deal is great and you park any car you have in the surrounding streets.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank EnglishViv
EnglishViv,

Thank you for the detailed review regarding your visit to La Jolla in June. I truly appreciate the candor you've used in sharing your experience with us in order to help us improve the experience for future guests. I feel absolutely terrible that you had such a disappointing visit to our hotel, I can certainly understand your frustrations and assure you that the concerns mentioned in your review have all been addressed. If you are planning to visit La Jolla again, please contact me directly and we will take wonderful care of you. Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies for the disappointments you experienced during your stay with us.

Hotel La Jolla
(858) 551-3690
shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com
New Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

I have probably stayed at 60 different hotels in my life. Maybe more, maybe less. I can't think of a more pleasant experience than Kimpton La Jolla. The hotel was impeccably clean, with a beautiful lobby, cool pool bar, friendly staff and proximity to one of the nicest beaches in America. We booked an ocean view and we were not disapointed. We were lucky enough to stay on the tenth floor with incredible views from the balcony as well as the entrance to the room itself. I will be haunted by those views as I meander through the rigors of day to day life here on the east coast.

The Good
The valet guys. These guys are incredible. Every one of them are super nice, cordial and incredibly informative. You can ask them for the best Swedish Bakery within a 15 mile radius and you'll be greeted with 3 different suggestions. Tip them well, but even if you don't, they'll treat you like gold.
The views
Free wine and appetizers at 5.
Great, albeit pricy in hotel food
Walking distance to the beach
A shuttle. Great if you plan on spending an evening blowing a BAL of 0.10 or higher.
A starbucks next door
Are people really complaining about the retractable shower curtain? That thing is awesome!
Did I mention the Valet guys?

The bad
It's not cheap, but then it's not obnoxiously expensive. You get what you pay for and there won't be any surprise fees upon check out
San Diego is a good 20 minute Drive

The ugly
Will make you feel guilty about not being a more avid surfer or golfer.

Room Tip: Get a room as high as possible
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julian U
Julian U, this is probably the best review I've ever had the pleasure of reading, thank you for making my Monday so enjoyable! I am ecstatic to see that you had "one of the best hotel experiences" of your lifetime with us, that is quite the compliment. I've always found that a craft cocktail in hand always makes me feel better when those ugly thoughts arise about not being an avid surfer nor golfer. We can't wait to welcome you back when you return to La Jolla!

Cheers!
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

We just spent 4 nights at the LJ.I have to say most of the stay was very nice.The Staff gets a 5 star.They are helpful,polite,and very friendly. No complaints there.
The hotel has a lot of little extras that make it very nice.Free happy hour,coffee in the lobby in the morning, free internet if you are a Kimpton member. You should sign up for this free membership.
Now my complaint. The bathroom. The lighting is the worse I have ever had in a hotel. So bad I had to apply my makeup on the outside balcony. I was told this is to be rectified very soon. Second if you get an end room there is not one single shelf to put toiletries. One hook in all bathrooms so you cannot hang towels,robes,etc.Sad but everything goes on the floor. Hooks and shelves are an easy fix. Being able to hang towels would cut down on wasting water.
I would definitely return, but next time I would take my lighted makeup mirror just in case the lighting has not been fixed.Kudos to the staff.
I did not use the pool, it is very small. I am a beach person so it did not mater to me.

Room Tip: End room,smaller but 2 balconies .bathrooms with no space.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cactuscromwell
Thank you cactuscromwell for the 4 STAR Review! I truly appreciate your feedback regarding your visit. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed our team so much, they truly are 5 STAR individuals! I would like to see which room you stayed in exactly to better understand the specific items you are referring to, if you wouldn't mind contacting me directly I would truly appreciate it. I assure you this feedback is invaluable to us, I look forward to speaking with you soon.

(858) 551-3690
shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com?
Riverside, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

My friend and I stayed here July 12th for one night..Upon arriving there was a bloody mary bar in the reception area. Highly recommend! The room was lovely, valet was charming, pool side bar was fun. The bed was incredibly comfortable and we had a great view on the 10th floor. Decided to grab a drink at Cusp on the 11th and had two amazing apps..Then proceeded to go down stairs for the free wine hour. The hotel shuttle took us to a great spot in the village for dinner and picked us up promptly. Couldn't have asked for a better time! Staff is so friendly and helpful. We will definitely be coming back..:)

Room Tip: Pick a floor thats above the 6th floor..for view..
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank 96frances45
Oh 96frances45, I couldn't have asked for a better review,! Thank you for the 5 STARS. It sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful visit and I am elated to see that you enjoyed so many of our amenities. It sounds like our team took such great care of you too, they truly are the best! I can't wait to welcome you back again soon.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

We arrived here after a long flight from England. The receptionists were extremely friendly. Our room was ok. We noticed a beautiful outside bar with an open fire and flames shooting from pillars around the edge. We got to the bar at about 10pm to be told by the bar tender that her boss had told her to close as there were no guests. We were told to go to (from memory) the top floor to get our drink and bring it down to sit outside. This we did. 3 more couples then turned up at the bar looking for drinks. The staff were really lovely, breakfast was good and the greeters were exceptionally helpful (as were the staff who drove us out and picked us up. Unfortunately one of the valet parking guys scratched our car quite badly and didn't report it. In the morning we wanted to leave early but were delayed by an hour as, luckily, my husband spotted the scratch and we had to complete claim forms etc. The staff really were outstanding but not reporting the scratch (they must have known they'd done it) and paying an extortionate price to park at the hotel in their own car park was not acceptable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you AAVisitor for the 4 STAR Review! It sounds like you had a lovely visit despite the challenges with the bar and valet. I am so sorry that our bar was closing down at the time you had arrived, I will follow up on our end as we certainly should have taken care of you as opposed to having you go up to the 11th floor bar. Please accept my apologies for your vehilce having been scratched during your visit. We are all human and mistakes do happen from time to time, I can assure you that our team would not try to hide any damage that we caused to a vehicle.. I believe you were in touch with our valet manager regarding this situation already but I am happy to help facilitate a resolution if one has not been found. Again, my sincerest apologies for the troubles with your vehicle having been scratched.

Thank you again for the 4 STAR Review. I hope to welcome you back when you have the opportunity to visit La Jolla again.

858-551-3690
shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com
san francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for the La Jolla Half Marathon. I booked a Patio Deluxe room since we were only staying two nights and I figured it would be easier to get out on race day. The Patio rooms are on the first floor and do not get much (any?) sunlight. These are not the rooms for you if you want to lounge in your room and look at the ocean. It was fine and not unexpected for us though. The beds are super comfy and the shower is great! However, noise from the pool bar really traveled down the hall! I think the smooth walls and floor really amplified everything and it was incredibly loud. It wasn't anything to complain about because I'm not sure it was even particularly late. We just had to sleep early for the half-marathon the next day. (By the way, It was really cool to see staff helping out at a water station!)

I was really impressed with the service here even though I was initially a little annoyed at check-in. When I arrived, the front desk checked me in, but after a little back and forth between the staff, they told me the room wasn't ready. They said they would call me once my room was available (no later than 4). I ate a slow brunch upstairs, wandered all around the property and then decided to take the shuttle into town to kill more time. (Shuttle service is great and the valet guys are so nice!) By the time I got back to the hotel, I could tell they had been checking people in, but I never got a phone call. I mentioned this when I finally got my room key and they were super apologetic and hooked me up with a bottle of wine. Even though they have free wine happy hour, you can't beat even more wine! Also, when I was initially checked in, no one told me about my InTouch perks. After reading about the perks while I was sitting in the room later that night, I went to the front desk and asked about it and they found an envelope with my name on it. Sadly, I didn't have time to use the cocktail/appetizer perk at Cusp. If you're staying at a Kimpton hotel, you really must sign up for their loyalty program. Anyway, outside of the check-in issue, everyone was so kind and friendly.

If I ever go back to La Jolla, I would definitely stay here again...but probably on a higher floor.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank umekyu
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
vmekyu,

Thank you for taking time to share your...(dare I say superb?) feedback with fellow travelers! I am so happy you stayed with us for the La Jolla 1/2 Marathon and ecstatic that you recognized us in our robe glory on race day! I appreciate the feedback regarding your check-in experience. We should have notified you as soon as your room was availalbe and we should have shared your benefits as a Kimpton InTouch member. All of this feedback will be used as a training opportunity for our team. I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your visit and I hope to welcome you back again soon.