“Pleasantly surprised on our return visit”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lewistown, Montana
“Pleasantly surprised on our return visit”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

It had been a few years since we stayed at Hotel La Jolla, and we were very surprised when we returned in June. The property is now a Kimpton Hotel and has been completely remodeled, so every part of it - from our room to the downstairs outside bar was new and improved. But more importantly, the service was exceptional, from Charrah at the front desk to the friendly greetings from staff throughout and especially the best car valet service we have ever seen. The valet staff is the front line in customer service for this hotel and they really deliver, helpful and friendly beyond all expectations and offering a very handy shuttle service around La Jolla. We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Up high and away from the busy boulevard coming in from I-5 on the south side of the hotel.
Green Features: They seem to make a real effort to be environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Oh Dave B, thank you for this amazing 5 STAR review! We sure are lucky to have Charrah and all of the valets on our team, you are spot on in describing how great they are! I'm so happy to see that you were pleasantly surprised by the changes to the property since your last visit. I hope you come back to visit us again soon.

Shannon Foster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Our tiny handicap access room (we're not handicapped) was located on lobby floor directly across hall from elevators. One of two elevators was out of commission. Room was very noisy as result. When i requested change after i saw the room, I was told only other room had wet carpet from broken pipe. No thanks!

Room was tiny, no seating other than bed. Bathroom was poorly lit and because of handicap shower, lacked typical amenities typically found in up scale hotel. Soundproofing was poor as lots of sound penetrated from hall and neighboring hall.

Don't know how other rooms in hotel compare. However, hiring tiny room across from main lobby elevators makes no sense to me.

This place is positioned as a 4 star hotel. Room was $350 per night and sub-par. Experience left me with a bitter taste.

Room Tip: Avoid 1st floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Andrew S,

Thank you for your review, however I'm so sorry you didn't leave with a better impression of your stay. I realize that having been on a room near the elevator can certainly make for a disappointing visit, especially if you were expecting a different location. If you plan to return to La Jolla, I urge you to contact me directly and we will take great care of you upon your return. My apologies for the inconvenience and I hope we have the opportunity for a do-over down the road. Thanks again for the constructive feedback.

All my best,
shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We have stayed in this hotel twice. Liked it. Old hotel that has been refurbished. There is no coffee maker in the room. Free coffee is in the lobby until 10AM only. I expressed to front desk that I was surprised that a 4 star hotel would not have a coffee maker. He apologized...

Within few minutes, room service knocked on our door and we good fresh coffee...courtesy the hotel staff. I was impressed. This was a pleasant surprise. When I offered to pay, they turned it down.

Thank you, Team La Jolla.
Ron

Room Tip: 8th floor - view of ocean at a distance.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Oh Ron K from San Fransisco, thank you for your very kind feedback. I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your recent visit to our hotel. I did want to tell you that you are welcome to join our Kimpon InTouch loyalty program where you can add a coffee maker request to your profile and we will enusre you have one in your room at every Kimpton hotel during future travels.

Thank you again for the feedback and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2014

It is a medium sized hotel, the rooms have been updated but the building itself is quite old and certain things cannot be changed, i.e. the hallways are outdoors and in fact it did rain the 3 days we were there and we got wet. It is located near a busy road. We used the gym, it is small, clean, with a few machines that were new, and it was not crowded. We did not use the restaurant and service is average. Perhaps with nicer weather we would have enjoyed our stay better in La Jolla.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank deboraperez56
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Thank you deboraperez56 for taking time to write a review about your visit to La Jolla. I am so sorry to see that the rain put such a damper on your visit to our hotel. I hope you'll come back and visit us when the sun is shining, I guarantee you'll enjoy your visit more. Cheers! Shannon Foster, General Manager.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2014

From the outside this hotel looks a bit like a huge concrete slab, scarring the landscape but inside there is definitely more charm and they've done a good job with the recent re-fit. The rooms are laid out well and the decor is appealing. The TV is huge and I quite liked how you could look into the room from the shower – there is a vanity blind for times when this is not appropriate! There were a few stains on the furniture and the towels were a little small and rough but on the flipside, all the staff were friendly and helpful and I loved the little touches like free bloody maries in the lobby on Sunday morning (it was memorial day weekend!) and the animal print robes. The view from the restaurant is unbelievable although the food was only average and a little overpriced. The valet charge was high but I just factored it into the room rate and it was still good value for money and just a 15 minute walk into La Jolla made it perfect for what we were looking for. It's not luxury by any means but does the job!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you TravellerNLa for the 4 Star review! I am so happy to see that you had such a great visit with us and that you enjoyed the room and the amenities we offer. Thank you for the candid feedback regarding the housekeeping items from your room, we will use this feedback as a training tool for our team. Please feel free to contact me directly, I'd love to hear a bit more about your restaurant experience.

Thank you again for choosing us and i look forward to hearing from you soon.

All my best,
Hotel La Jolla
shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We love Kimpton Hotels because they are quirky, fun, and allow pets. This one is not in La Jolla village but has a lovely bar and fireplace area, fun "game night," a goldfish in the room, and smores for the fireplace.

The walk to La Jolla village is longer than expected but there is a car shuttle you can take.

Super friendly staff and fun atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JodieGuest
JodieGuest,

Thank you for the 5 STAR review! I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your visit with us. I am especially pleased to see that you enjoyed the amenities we've added as well. I hope you'll be back to visit us again soon.

Hotel La Jolla
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed here in May and really enjoyed it. The staff were very helpful and the facilities were excellent.
I really enjoyed the personal touches like the 'welcome furry friends' at the door (for dog lovers of course) and the free bike hire. We took a couple of these to cycle down to the beach which is just a few minutes away.
The hotel seems to have been re-decorated quite recently, and the reception, bar and pool areas are really stylish. A glass of wine by the outdoor fire is a treat.
I really recommend booking a room on one of the higher floors as the view to the sea and the sunset is beautiful.

Room Tip: Higher floors above the trees to get a better view across the ocean. (we were on level 10)
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful review Formica79! I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed all of the amenities of the hotel. It always makes my day to see that our team had such a positive impact on a guests stay and they clearly lived up to expectations for you. I hope to welcome you back again soon.