“Noisy with a view of a gas station.”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The only reason I don't give this hotel a poor review is because the people who work there are so nice. The restaurant Cusp was great for breakfast but this is not a place I would ever go again. While in the distance we could see the ocean, right below the hotel was one of the busiest intersections and a gas station. The hotel's hall is open to the elements and so also to the street noise. And you can hear the conversation of everyone who comes in at night or leaves in the morning. Although the front office promised a quiet room, they placed us directly across from the elevators and the ice machine. The room was outfitted alright but certainly not luxuriously. And we know, as we moved out after only one night on a planned six night stay, that we forgot my daughter's jacket in the room. We called three or four times a day for the next few days and they either didn't return the call or just said they would look into it. Sadly, this hotel was a total fail. there were a few personalities who worked there who were extra nice and very pleasant to deal with. Maybe this hotel would be good for someone coming in at two in the morning, but then they would be awakened by the noisy hall in the morning.

Room Tip: Maybe the corner rooms on the high floors away from the elevator but STAY AWAY from the rooms near t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ClaudeA654
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

ClaudeA654,

Ouch, this review hurts quite a bit! Our team plays a puzzle each and every day in order to best fulfill our guests requests noted on the reservations, however it's apparent we lost this time around. I am sorry we fell so short of your expectations and that we were unable to accommodate your quiet room request, I can absolutely understand your disappointment. Thank you for your feedback regarding lost and found communication, it has caused us to take a step back and evaluate the procedures for lost and found communication and I'm confident we have a better process in place moving forward.

Please reach out to me directly prior to your next visit and I will ensure you receive the exact room location you prefer. If you would like to discuss your experience further please reach out to me directly.

shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com
858-551-3690

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I'm getting up a few minutes early to " pass it forward" thank the other travelers who take the time to share their insight and a really design a trip. I want to thank the traveler that told me about parking my car around the corner,where you can park overnight for free. Saving $28 a day is nice!
We booked in trivago, for the first time and got a great rate. So you can read I planned this trip to La Jolla with a budget, not cheap, very different philosophy.
The location is excellent. I was concerned I'd be trapped on a intersection and not accessible to stores and restaurants. That is why I struggled between being in the village or staying in the shores. There is a great gas station market with healthy type snacks, a Starbucks that opens at 5:30 am. Walk across the street the ocean will guide your eyes, and relax to beach cottage restaurants, kayak and diving shops, gifts. Then walk the strip, I didn't want to walk on the beach. Watch all the surfers, kayakers, look at the village from the shores.
The hotel rooms are spacious, our fifth floor balcony is beautiful , large, the room feels,fresh and up to date, even has a window shower , sliding mat opens and closes by a button on the wall. This is hip and yet comfortable. Beds super comfy, fitness room open 24 hours.
We did not have a chance to have the wine hour or,s'more but what a generous gift of the Kimpton.
They do it right and we will definitely being here again!

Room Tip: Pay to see the ocean, and at night the entry is lite by torches , so you see them too!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you djgreenwall for the fantastic review, you sure know how to make a recommendation! It sounds like you had a a great trip and the location was absolutely perfect for you. Next time you come back, hopefully you will have time to stop by our wine hour. We have something different going on every night, you might even be able to compete in a shake off with one of our managers.

I hope you come back to visit again soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I am a Kimpton Fan from way back when! This Hotel is located about three blocks from the sandy swimming/surf/kayak beach. A good 1 1/2 mile uphill walk from the business district and cliff walks along the ocean. Definitely visit this beautiful area where you are able to walk and view sea lions..... Staff was very friendly and of course loved the hosted wine hour each evening. The chef even came down and cooked appetizers twice during the stay. The Cusp Restaurant on the top floor had an excellent happy hour and food was delicious. Morning coffee served in the lobby was welcomed! Thank you Nicci, Kyle, Erin and valet staff for taking such good care of us.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Wow! stonecreekmanor, thank you for the raving review! We are just tickled pink to see that you had such a wonderful visit to our jewel. The fact that you are a fan from "way back when" makes your comments all the more special.

I hope to meet you on your next visit to La Jolla.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We were delayed for 6 hours due to a storm; we called the front desk to make sure someone would be at the front desk to check us in. When we arrived (at 1 am) the staff knew who we were and gave us a free late check out the next day at 1 pm just to allow us to sleep in! All of the staff will remember your names and treat you phenomenally. The rooms are very nice and have great views of La Jolla.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Oh Anthony B, thank you for the very kind words about our team. I know I'm biased but they really are the best! I'm happy to see that you had such a great trip (despite that pesky rain storm) and that you were able to catch a few extra zzz's prior to departing. I hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

Thanks again!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Great location, valet's are cool, bartender Josie was nice, front desk Chantel and Guillermo were very good. Room was awesome and the views were amazing. Bad parts were; not enough propane tanks for the heater's at the bar, they rented out the restaurant upstairs for a Christmas party but did not inform the guest, for the happy hour they did not have enough snacks that went with the wines (one round of pizza rolls). For a Kimpton Hotel you would expect better service. More like 3.5 stars.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

btran321, thanks for taking time to shre your feedback, it means the world to us! I'm so happy to see you enjoyed you stay. I'm sorry about the shortage of apps at wine hour, it sounds like we should have anticipated for more guests at wine hour for sure. We will ensure our guests are sufficiently informed in the future when the restuarant is unavailable, thank you for that feedback as well.

We've changed up our wine hour a bit and are offering more of a variety of small bites, I think you'll enjoy it on your next visit.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I had a such great experience staying at Hotel La Jolla during a trip last year, so I decided to give it another try this year. Well, I wasn't disappointed. The staff was extra helpful and friendly (especially Charrah (sp?) at the front desk). And the views from my room were amazing. Great views of the ocean and cliffs of La Jolla from anywhere in my room (including the shower). I will definitely stay here again. In fact, I already booked my next stay when I return in three weeks. I had planned on staying in another location closer to my work, but had such a great experience that I decided that extra travel time was worth it.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

thestonewalker from Fargo, North Dakota, you have just made my day! Wow, I am so thrilled to see that you had such a fantastic visit to our little jewel....TWICE and even more knowing that you will be back to visit us again very soon! I sure hope I will have the opportunity to meet you on our upcoming visit.

P.S. I agree with you that Charrah really is the best!

Have a great day!

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Had a great stay last month at the Hotel La Jolla. The lobby is really cool, nice California beach vibe. They have some bikes that you can borrow from the valet guys to cruise around the area which was nice. The location isn't perfect, its a short walk into town, but not a big deal if you have a car. About a five minute walk to some restaurants and just a bit further to the beach, I walked over nearly everyday so not too bad.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor so you can see the beach/ocean over the trees
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

We love you too miamicane77! Thank you for taking time to write a review and for giving us 5 STARS, woot woot! I'm so happy to see that you had such a great visit to our little jewel. It sounds like you were able to get a lot of walking in during your recent visit, don't forget that if you want to relax a bit, we have a house car that would be happy to take you to and from your various destinations in La Jolla. I hope you'll be back to visit us again soon.