“Best Customer Service, Rooms, View, and Location!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Twentynine Palms, California
“Best Customer Service, Rooms, View, and Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

For our first family trip to La Jolla, we chose the Hotel La Jolla because not only because it is pet friendly, modern, but it also has a great location. Upon arrival we were simply swept off our feet. We have always been fans of the Kimpton hotel chain but had never stayed at one until now. From start to finish, it was a magical stay! When we arrived, the hotel staff greeted not only my husband and I but our dearest family member, Chloe (our english bulldog). Her name was on a welcome sign out front and she was welcomed with ear scratches and treats upon check-in. The check-in process was fast and the front desk staff truly made you feel as if you were visiting friends and not staying in a stuffy hotel.

During our stay we went to a Chargers game (only a 20 minute drive away to the stadium) and while we were out Chloe, our dog, was able to get walked twice and of course given much love from the staff - she truly was on a vacation too. Every employee that we came encountered with was there to help in any way possible, all we had to do was ask.

The front desk and valet personnel were wonderful...not only did they remembered us when we returned from our outings but also remembered our son's name and always asked about Chloe. Hotel La Jolla takes pet-friendly to a new level!

Normally, pet-friendly rooms are the "knock off", "not so nice" rooms- but not here! We had a room on the 10th floor and let me be frank...it was simply amazing. The view of the Pacific Ocean from the moment you opened the door was breath-taking. The room was modern and luxury...the bathroom shower had a glass wall to where you could see the ocean while you showered if you chose to - otherwise you could drawl the curtain, but why would you! The room was spacious enough for my husband, our son, our dog and myself - there was no crowding at all.

Besides the amazing staff, the next best thing is the hour happy hour. From 5-6pm every night the hotel has a FREE wine happy hour. The wine is delicious, they do not skimp on the amount in your glass, and you can have another if you would like! We visited in the winter, so not sure if this is year round but while we sipped on wine we were able to make smores on an open fire! What a great treat before our night out!

This hotel is truly remarkable and we will definitely stay here again!

Kyle Larson, Charrah, Alina, and Nikki Carlson are some of the best hospitality professionals in the business and Hotel La Jolla hit the mark when they hired them. These individuals made our stay one to remember. Thank you and see you soon!

Room Tip: All rooms have a breath-taking view of the Pacific Ocean. Of course the higher the room number the l...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Shannon F, Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Hey Rkerrigan3,

Thank you for the great 5 star review! I am so glad your entire family enjoyed their stay with us. We know that when our 4 legged friends have a relaxing and enjoyable stay mom and dad are able to enjoy themselves a little more. Some may think I am a little biased but I think our valet and front desk staff rock also! For future reference we do offer complimentary wine hour every night of the year from 5-6pm and s'mores are served up Thursday through Sunday over the fire. Make sure to come back and visit soon!

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way from San diego to LA. It was a great experience but perhaps the best part is Cusp, the rooftop restaurant. Kudos to Chef Lockhart for his amazing menu. He was even downstairs serving made to order hors d'oeuvres during the nightly wine hour. The rooms are a bit small but adequate and we were hoping for a suite upgrade as an Inner circle member but the suites were probably fully booked. We were given a corner room with 2 balconies that provided amazing views. The room was well appointed in spite of it's small size.

We just had a couple of negative experiences. One is the trash-talking about New Yorkers upon check-in. I'm not a native New Yorker but I call it my home and I didn't appreciate the check-in staff's snide comments while we were getting checked in. The ocean-facing balcony door was also hard to open and I actually thought it was broken. An elderly person might have trouble opening it.

Over-all, this is a great hotel and I salute Kimpton for transforming this hotel into what it is today. I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: A high floor with ocean views.
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for the nice 4 star review! We really appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton and we are so happy you were able join us all of the way from New York. I am so sorry about the comments made regarding New York that's completely unacceptable, sometimes our team likes to let their sense of humor show, but they need to know what it can be perceived as offensive. We LOVE New Yorkers in La Jolla. I look forward to having you back at our hotel next time you are headed to La Jolla.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here around Christmas for a family reunion with my partner. From the moment we walked in and were greeted at the front desk, each member of this staff went above and beyond to make us feel at home.

The room was fantastic, in keeping with the upscale yet beachy vibe downstairs, with many shades of cream and browns to boot. The room's highlights included a glass shower facing the room and ocean beyond (With cool automatic shade), lovely wood paneling on the walls and ceiling, fabulous lighting, marble bath and my personal favorite, the carpet in the room was surrounded by a border of marble. Just well done through and through. We were in room #907 and the view to the water was sensational. We came back to our balcony each night for sunset and a beer.

The food at the top-floor eatery Cusp was great both mornings we ate there, but no matter how hard we tried to eat there for a snack or just a drink, at other times of day, it was closed rather often. I thought this was odd for a hotel to not have an open place to eat!

On a side note (Not the hotel's fault), we were next to a loud couple with a child and dog. The dog barked every morning at 6:30 along with the kid and we could hear everything. If you have an issue with noise, tell the hotel because they do take action!

All in all, a great stay and we plan to be back our next time in La Jolla.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors have killer views!
1 Thank ittessot
Shannon F, Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Hey Traveler,

Thanks you for choosing to spend your holidays with us! We know it's hard to be away from home during the holidays and I am glad we were able to make you feel like you were right at home. Thank you for informing us about your noise issue, it's important to us that we know when guests are experiencing noise so we can try and correct it for them. We look forward to having you back next time you are in town.

Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I was here for just one night while my Dad was staying a bit north of La Jolla at a different hotel. The welcome I received from Alina and Charrah was impressive. They essentially did everything short of literally rolling out a red carpet. As a result, I ended up moving my Dad from his hotel 35 min north and got a second room for him to stay with us at Hotel La Jolla. They really understand what a great guest experience is!

The highlights included:
- Kimpton Inner Circle upgrade to a suite
- Bottle of wine, cheese and crackers as an in-room gift
- Used the $10 raid the minibar credit for a 4Kind bar and water
- Free wifi as a loyalty program member
- Flat bread pizzas shared around the room during the complimentary wine hour
- Friendly valet team
- Charrah and Alina were incredibly personable and made me (and then my Dad) feel like a VIP
- I had inadvertently made a duplicate reservation and they just wiped it out with no cancellation charge
- Due to bad weather back home and two flights that were already cancelled and rebooked, there was a good chance I was going to need to extend my stay. Charrah took a look at availability and let me know she would make sure I had a room and was even going to do her best to ensure I could get a suite again for me and maybe even one for my Dad. I did end up making it home, so sadly my stay was only one night.
- When I mentioned the Kimpton "secret word" they were going to offer cocktails, but since they saw that we were just about to enjoy the free wine hour they offered to take care of my valet parking charge (amazing!)
- The room was spacious and the bathroom felt sophisticated

The one word of caution is that the roadways near to the hotel can get quite congested especially during rush hour.

I had an amazing stay, as did my Dad, and I'd gladly return to the hotel. Charrah and Alina seem to genuinely love interacting with guests and deliver a perfect Kimpton experience. Give this hotel a try and make sure you sign up for Kimpton's loyalty program so you can enjoy the benefits.

Room Tip: 810 was a nice suite at the end of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Traveler,

What a great 5 star review! Charrah and Alina are complete Rockstars, and I will make sure that their great service does not go unnoticed. Thank you for being such a loyal Kimpton guest! Your detailed review will surely give other travelers a clear picture of what to expect when they travel here. We look forward to having you stay with us next time you are in La Jolla.

McKinney, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

We love the Kimpton properties in general, and are hoping to make this our new "go-to" hotel in the San Diego area.
Experience: SUCH friendly, attentive, and easy-going staff! They really make the experience! Coffee, hot teas and great hot chocolate with all the toppings were available in (cozy) lobby in the AM, and manager's reception and "games" in the evening. Free car shuttle to a radius around the hotel make this a great location and value. Free bike "rental" as well. We used all of these services and were pleased. Perfect boutique atmosphere.
Bar: Downstairs outdoor (enclosed) patio bar is a lovely experience with fireplace
Rooms: Room decor is modern and cool. Love the use of space and layout. View was really lovely; both day and night.
Sleep: However, sleep experience was poor. We had a room too close to the elevator, along with a noisy "heater" clicking. When we mentioned it, they had maintenance in our room within an hour! The front desk staff also gave me suggestions for better room placement to minimize elevator noise.
Restaurant: One of the best parts of this hotel. We actually stayed here because we had eaten at Cusp on an earlier trip to San Diego. Great service and food. Will review in a separate post.
Return visit?: Without a doubt! But with the caveat of a quieter room.

Room Tip: High floors, away from elevators
Dear Nina,

Thank you for the wonderful 4 star review! I am glad you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities while you were in town. A good night sleep is such an important part of the stay so I am bummed we were unable to deliver on that, but next time we will be sure to get you in a great quiet location.

Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I surprised my husband with a trip to La Jolla for our anniversary. We stayed 3 nights at this hotel. I do not have one negative thing to say. We stayed in room 708, the view was beautiful of the ocean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The staff surprised us with a cake, champagne and a Happy Anniversary balloon! We felt like they went the extra mile to welcome us and acknowledge our reason for the stay.

This hotel is a short walk or bike ride (the hotel has FREE bike for you to use) to the ocean.

I found it very helpful every time my husband and I had valet pull up our rental car for an outing the gentleman who assisted us asked if we needed directions to where we were heading. Upon our return after each outing the valet inquired about where we had gone and if we were enjoying ourselves.

The room was very clean and modern. My husband and I are both very picky about beds and we were impressed with how comfortable our bed was.

I would definitely visit Hotel La Jolla again and again!

• 5 of 5 stars
Shannon F, Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Hey April!

Thank you for the great 5 star review! I am glad you were able to celebrate a special occasion with us. If there is one thing I know for sure about my team is that they love to make special occasions even a little more special with their personal touches! Glad you were able to experience that with us. We look forward to having you back to celebrate many more occasions.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

The walls in our room were very thin, you can hear EVERYTHING going on around you. The beds are worn out and the room does not have a coffee maker. Overnight parking is $29 per car! The building is a bit old. They've done a great job with the decor - reminds me of the 70s.

The ocean facing rooms have a great view. The staff and service were excellent. Location isn't great - you'll have to drive to most places, but then again, there aren't many hotels in La Jolla with a better location.

• 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank FortyEightFan
Hey FortyEightFan,

Thank you for the review. I am bummed we didn't 'WOW' you! Coffee makers are available upon request, so next time you stay please indicate during the reservation process that you would like one and we will have it preset in the guest room. I am glad you liked our decor and that our staff took great care of you.