“Another Great Kimpton...”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Just got back from a two night stay here after a majority of the week at a work meeting in San Diego. My wife and I stayed at this hotel because of the fact that it is a Kimpton family hotel. I have had great experiences at Kimptons and I am pleased to say that Hotel La Jolla is no different! The customer service at the hotel was wonderful and the staff is more than helpful. Any request is granted and they even offered supplies to make S'mores over the fire pits around the outside bar area. S'mores happen to be my wife's favorite so this was a big hit our first night there. The valet service here is also extremely friendly and helpful from recommending a restaurant to being very accommodating with rides in the Volvo SUV to any destination within La Jolla. The night before we had to leave, I called down to the front desk to say we needed to get up early, check out, and leave for the airport at 6am. The woman at the front desk immediately offered to have a taxi outside ready to take us to the airport on time as well as a personal (no recording) wake up call to make sure we were up on time. All in all, another great Kimpton experience and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an ocean view room on the 8th floor or higher so the palm trees don't get in t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Matt4040
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

You rock Matt4040! Thanks so much for the amazing 5 STAR review! Your wife has good tast in treats and I'm just happy we lived up to her S'more's expectations! We've got the best team in La Jolla and I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed interacting with them as much as we do. Thanks again for the props, I hope we will be welcoming you both back again soon.

Shannon Foster

Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and son. There was some exceptional elements and some basic fundamental errors of judgement. Let me cover those first - We stayed as a family and we were located on the 2nd floor overlooking the bar area. All very relaxing and a glass of wine watching the bar scene - until the 2 wedding parties! Both finished late into the night disturbing sleep and making the stay uncomfortable. Why a hotel would book families on top of these booked events is beyond me...I found wedding guests tucked away in the rear of the hotel!

The management changed almost daily so getting a resolution proved difficult.

The second was dogs. Allowed in the hotel, in the bar, on the bar furniture - I'm not a fan of dogs unless guiding the blind - so stinking out the bar and sitting beside me or sharing my elevator journeys was a no-no

However the flip side was;

Pool well positioned with great fire pits to enjoy
Excellent bar service and snacks
Good food, free coffee and occasional wine at reception
Exceptional reception service (I think Shaanne) was as good as any hotel staff during my 7 centre stay in the US
Location is OK, 5 minute walk to the beach- OK 10 in flip flops
The beach can be exceptionally busy for the record- The kayaking looked very tame, although I didn't do it - tame and expensive I'd add
Surfing body boards provided FOC. along with chairs and various equipment including bikes by the hotel - this is a superb little add-on and well done the hotel for the innovation.

The top floor bar is a really pleasant experience, I'm not a big fan of eating in hotels but this place was very good - breakfasts excellent with a great view.

I will remember the excellent service, treasure surfing and almost bumping into a sea lion locally and I would certainly consider coming back - but would check the Wedding Plans and the Filming schedule of Hotels for Dogs IV first!

Room Tip: Check to see if functions and weddings on - and request a room away from the bar on the quiet side
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank CarricktoRome
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Oh furses,

Thank you very much for the 4 STAR Review and for sharing your detailed experience with fellow Trip Advisor travelers. It sounds like you had a lovely visit. I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed our Sand'Sational Beach Butler program amenities and that the service was superb for you, I know I'm partial but we really do have a wonderful team! I'm so sorry that your room was not as quiet as you would have preferred with the wedding guests in the bar. Our weekends do invite out of town wedding guests since La Jolla is a top destination for weddings, however during future visits, we are happy to block you on the north side of the building which is away from the bar and pool.

Once again, thank you for the 4 STARS. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

All my best,

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I'm so glad that I discovered the Hotel La Jolla. I'm in San Diego for work periodically, and last time stayed in the hotel for three nights. With this caliber of service and the quality of the facility itself, I would have expected to pay a lot more for my stay. I was very pleasantly surprised.

The decor is modern and cool, and very comfortable. The nightly wine hour is lovely, and the pool and bar are inviting and not "sceney." My room was perfect: large and super comfy with a hint of an ocean view. The staff were all super friendly and accommodating.

The best part of the stay was eating at CUSP restaurant. Amazing! Aside from the fantastic view and ambiance, the food was phenomenal and again, the staff were all helpful and knowledgeable. I would love to come back.

Overall a wonderful experience. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dlc_dvs_2

dic_dvs_2, you are pretty FANTASTIC yourself! It’s always wonderful to hear such positive words, especially when they come from a guest that travels often! Thank you so much for choosing us for your business trip accommodations and for sharing your positive experience with the TripAdvisor nation. I'm so happy to see that you had such a phenomenal experience at Cusp as well, yes I'm biased but the food is pretty amazing and Chef Donald just added some new fall items to the menu as well. Thanks again for the 5 STARS and come see us again soon!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

If you are a young couple and want a quick weekend getaway this is an OK place to stay. The pic's online make it look like a super chic upscale hotel and I would agree it is nice but it is not 4 stars. We went with our 2 kids so I may have a different perspective but the pool has tile around it and my daughter slipped and fell twice. The room was not that clean and my baby found a few strawberries that were dried under the bed and a cough drop that was stuck to the floor next to the bed. Our room was on the 3rd floor and was noisy both from the the truck deliveries behind the hotel and the valet stand in front. Valet parking is your only option because this hotel has NO public parking and there is no parking around the hotel. If I would have known this I would have just stayed downtown. NOT a good stay and I wouldn’t come back with kids or not.

Room Tip: Dont stay here if you have kids
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pmdefran

Yikes pmdefran, it looks like we have some opportunities for improvement based on your recent visit. Thank you so much for sharing the details regarding the clenaliness of your room with us. I can assure you that cleanliness is a top priority of ours and we will absolutely ensure that the problems experienced do not repeat in the future. We have so many kid friendly activities available here at the hotel and I'm very disappionted you did not experience the hotel in that light. I would like to discuss your visit in greater detail. If you would be willing to do so, please feel free to call me at 858-551-3690 or email me shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com.

All my best,

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed here for four nights in late August (18-22) prior to my son starting back at school in Texas. We reserved our room from a third-party site and initially we were placed on the first floor at the end. Without complaining, I believe the young man (wish I could remember his name) helping us could see in my face that I didn't want to be on the first floor. Just a few minutes after arriving in our room, I received a call from the young man and he offered to upgrade me to a room with a view for a reasonable fee. We immediately accepted and were moved up to a room with an amazing view and away from the elevators (I believe it was on the ninth floor).

Throughout our trip everyone working for the hotel were extremely friendly, professional and helpful with everything from sending a business related facsimile to letting us know all the great places to eat and things to see while we were in town. We really dreaded leaving and going to Los Angeles for the last two nights of our trip. We will certainly be back next year for a longer trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank David R

DavidR, the only thing I can say is WOW! We are so flattered by your lovely review, thank you so much for the wonderful comments. It sounds like our team took such great care of you and your family, thank you for allowing us that opportunity to do so. We've created a fan in you and after reading your review and seeing that you'll be back with us again on your next trip, I have to say that I am a pretty big fan of yours as well!

We look forward to welcoming you back for a longer trip next time.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Checked in for a night with my boyfriend and our two dogs. As with all other Kimpton's this property was just as pet friendly. They even had a sign in the front as you walk into the lobby with all the names of the pets that were staying there at the time. It was a pleasant surprise to see our babies names on there. They had the correct treats we requested waiting for us in the room. This is the first Kimpton that has got it right for us. Very impressed with that. My only gripe, would be the cleanliness of the dog beds and bowls. they don't seem to clean the pet stuff. Our doggy bowls appeared to be used and not washed, the dogs were not washed either. Both our dogs wanted nothing to do with the beds. They usually love sleeping in dog beds. Overall, the property was great.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Withstyle,

Thank you so much for the 5 STARS! I am so happy to see that you had such a wonderful visit and that we were able to exceed your expectations on the pet amenities. I'm so sorry about the mishap with the dog bowls and beds, that should not have been an issue but now that we have been alerted of it, we have taken precuations to ensure this does not occur again in the future.

We can't wait to welcome you and your pooches back again soon!

Cheers,

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Great staff....great rooms...great view! Hotel La Jolla does not disappoint! If you are staying in the La Jolla area and want the full experience do not skip this hotel. Kimpton has done it right! Everything was exceptional!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 3DP9

You are a gem, 3DP9! Thanks so much for the kind words, short, sweet and to the point! We have a great team here and I am so happy to see you feel the same way. Have a great fall and I hope you come back to visit us again soon!