Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
La Jolla Inn(La Jolla)
View Hotel
Grande Colonial La Jolla(La Jolla)
Pantai Inn(La Jolla)
  • Breakfast included
Inn by the Sea(La Jolla)
1,151 results
All reviewstop floorcusp restaurantwine hourfloor restaurantfree bikesrooms face the oceanocean viewminute walk to the beachmandatory valet parkingbusy roadoutdoor barvalet stafffloor roomsan diegofire pitkimptoncurios
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed at three different hotels while I was in San Diego for my birthday. Of all the hotels, this was the one I was looking forward to the most as I love La Jolla area. I have to say...I was disappointed. Let's start from the beginning.

I drove up and handed my keys to valet. The price was $29 a night which was in keeping with the San Diego area. The difference though was that this hotel had a regular lot with all uncovered parking. It was in a residential neighborhood and I'm not sure it would have been an inconvenience to just let people park their own cars. I could seriously go to my car a lot quicker 100 feet away, then waiting for the valet attendants to finish up with other guests and go retrieve it for me. It made the $29 a bit hard to swallow. I checked in and was greeted by a friendly front desk attendant. I had been upgraded due to being Inner Circle and got a hearty "Happy Birthday". All of the front desk attendants were extremely gracious and friendly throughout my stay. I grabbed my luggage and headed for the elevator. One was out due to maintenance issues so I grabbed the other one and headed to my room. It was a nice room. Spacious, with nice view of the ocean. There was a handwritten note and a cupcake there which I thought was a very nice touch. If there is one thing I love about Kimpton, it's the level of customer service. It's like nothing I've experienced at other brands.

There was an issue though - noisiness. Beauty, space, customer service aside, the one thing I value the most is quiet and the ability to relax when I'm on vacation. This is not the hotel with which to do that. The floors are extremely thin. I heard the people above me moving chairs, dropping bags, throwing shoes, walking, opening and shutting doors, etc. Also, because part of the flooring is tile, the noise was amplified. I had to put my earphones in and crank the music up to get sleep. The next day I was awoken at 7 in the morning. A house next to the hotel is doing construction and starts fairly early. There was no more sleep for that morning. The next night was the same issue, only there was the sound of furniture being dragged around a bit. I called down and they sent a maintenance guy up who stopped by and questioned me about what I was hearing. They seemed skeptical and not that concerned, so I recorded the sounds in case they followed up. They didn't and I put my earphones in again and went to sleep. The balcony's were a nice touch though, and if you open up all of the balconies you get a lovely breeze that sweeps through the room. While it's a very pretty hotel and the staff was very friendly, the noise issue makes it unlikely that I'll return.

Room Tip: Stay on the side closer to the downstairs lounge area. You won't have great views of the Ocean, but it keeps you away from some of the neighborhood construction noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Nikki30M
Shannon F, Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Nikki30M,

Thank you for taking time to write such a detailed review about your experience upon your departure. Additionally, thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels! I am glad that you chose to stay at Hotel La Jolla for your birthday, but I am disappointed that you did not have the ultimate birthday experience with us. It is always disappointing to read about less than favorable experience. I was delighted to read that our staff did take great care of you, I am a little biased with it comes to our staff but I think they are the best. Next time you are in the area and if you decide you would like to give us another shot please reach out to me directly so I can be certain we can get you in a quiet location of the hotel.

nikki.carslon@hotellajolla.com

Reviewed September 15, 2013

To begin with, we often stay at Kimpton hotels. They usually are a bit funky and fun, with lots of energy, and an efficient, professional staff. I should state that I am a Kimpton loyalty member.

I had business in La Jolla, so my husband and I thought we'd spend an extra day enjoying the scenery and the ambience. It had been quite a long time since we were in the area, so I was relying on Trip Advisor and its reviewers. Normally, I delete the first few reviews, since I figure it's the owners relatives writing positive reviews, or the competition severely critiquing.

Even eliminating the first page of reviews, I still am amazed at the consistency of reporting, which was totally opposite our impression.

Arriving at the hotel late in the afternoon, after a tediously long drive from L.A., we were met at the desk by an all too casually dressed desk clerk, who looked to be wearing a tennis sweater & laughed when asked if breakfast was included. He proudly mentioned the new lobby, bar area. None of the other clerks seemed to be wearing any thing other than small badges to identify themselves as employees. It was not professional.

The high-rise hotel must have been an older hotel in its former life, so they decided to remodel the public places. It's too bad the renovations did not continue to the rooms.

Our room was actually a small suite with bedroom, separate living area, and a bath and powder room. At first glance, it was dark, but all right. Strange layout with a rather large foyer. We unpacked, looked at the "ocean view" ...way in the distance, and went to the famed, Kimpton, complimentary, cocktail hour, including choice of wines and delicious grilled pork cakes, prepared by the chef.

Returning to our room, and putting on all the lights, we realized how filthy the rug was, dust in obvious places, and furniture totally scuffed and scratched. As I mentioned before, would they had skipped the free wine and fixed up the rooms. At least, they could have done a better job cleaning the rooms. Ironic, since every time we took the elevator there was a service guy or housekeeper pushing large bins with dirty laundry.

Based on the tasty snack at happy hour, we went upstairs for dinner. We arrived a few minutes before our reservation. Although there were empty tables, we were asked to sit at the bar, an old restaurant trick. My husband finally went up to "chat" with the hostess and we were given a small, but window side table with a lovely view of the twinkling lights of La Jolla.

Service was slow, with the wait staff having tunnel vision. The menu was impressive, but proved to be a bit over reaching. My sole, wrapped around crab, was dry, which was a shame, as the sauce was tasty.

We decided at dinner to depart the hotel a day early, cutting our time spent in a dirty hotel to just the one night.

In its present format, Hotel La Jolla is an expensive, over rated lodging. I would give it two stars, at best. It is not an asset to the Kimpton Chain.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank n_bi-coastal

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel, even though it is a less than favorable review for us. We need all of the feedback we can get so we can make improvements! I am not a big fan of the sweat vests either, but that is our uniform for the time being. We might have the clerks wear the zebra print robes until we can get them into matching outfits! On a more serious note, please be certain the service flaws you experience in Cusp and in your guest room are being addressed and we take this feedback seriously.

We hope you will give us another chance and if you choose to please contact me directly so I can make sure that you have a great experience!

858-551-3606

Reviewed September 14, 2013

booked this hotel last minute and was such a pleasant surprise. the hotel is in a great location in La Jolla, only a 5-7min walk to the beach. The staff are so friendly and helpful. Stayed on the 3rd floor, had water glimpses of the beach, if you stay at a higher floor, 4 or 5 above would have some fantastic view of the beach.

there are some fantastic restaurants down the road. the hotel has complimentary bikes you can use as you please.

the only negatives are the cost of parking/valet at the hotel of $28+tax per day is very steep, the hotel also doesnt provide free Wi-fi for guests. there is a starbucks next door though if you want to go and use the internet and get a coffee.

the hotel offers free morning coffee for all guests and every evening from 5-6 has free wine tasting with nibbles which is a great touch. the hotel has a wonderful bar downstairs and also on the 11th floor called Cusp, which has the best view of La Jolla.

one of the nights, they had a movie night at the bar in the outside bar by the fireplace, which was such a nice way to end the evening.

also, when we headed to the beach, we were given a beach pack which was such a nice touch that contained, towels, sunscreen,chapstick, bottles of water, sand bucket.

i recommend eating at Cusp restaurant on the top floor for drinks and the food and seeing the sunset.

We had such a pleasant stay and would definitely be back!

Room Tip: rooms from level 4 and above would have an amazing view of the beach
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Hey Mazydee,

Thank you for the great review! I am glad you had such a great time while you were staying at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed coffee service, wine hour, and Cusp all three are things we hope all of our guests experience when they are here.

Until Next Time!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here when we were visiting family in the area. The hotel is located in a great neighborhood. The beaches nearby are pretty good - we preferred the beaches in Encinitas and Del Mar which are only a short drive away. However the hotel is within walking distance from a pretty nice beach. The amenities are great - free bike rentals, free happy hour wine, valet service to name a few. The rooms were clean and modern with a touch of quirkiness (pretty typical of a kimpton resort). The best part about our experience there was definitely the staff. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. From the front desk to the valet to the maintenance staff, the service was top notch.

• Stayed: September 2013

Hey Traveler!

What a great 5 star review! Thank you for sharing your feedback with other travelers. I may be a little biased but my favorite thing about the hotel is our staff too, they just rock! Thank you again and we hope you will visit us in the future.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This hotel is not as quirky or fun as the other Kimpton properties I've visited. The décor is beige and brown and somewhat depressing with only a few splashes of color. The rooms are dark. The bathroom is very dark and has poor lighting for applying make up in a mirror so distant from where one is standing that it was not possible to see well. The bed was comfortable but only 17 inches off the floor....why so low ? This hotel is only a year old but already showing signs of wear and tear in the rooms....scratched furniture and carpet peeling up.
The staff is exceptionally professional and kind, very attentive to customers needs. The valet parking seems a bit too steeply priced at $28/night.
We had a bad experience with uncooked food and slow breakfast service in the restaurant but the view was great.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms at the end of the building as far away from the bar are the best. The music from the bar drifts upwards, some of the live entertainment was truly awful and hard to listen to.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jackie b

Hi Traveler,

Thank you for the review! I am disappointed you did you find our hotel as unique as other Kimpton Hotels; our design is more of a modern beachy chic type of design. Our public areas renovation was completed one year ago but our guest rooms were not renovated during that time period, thank you for bringing some of the guest room challenges to our attention so that we can address them on a hotel wide level.

Thank you again for the 4 stars!