“Great location but AC needs to work better!”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I arrived around 11 and they had a room ready for me. That was a great start to the weekend. Checked into the room and went up. room 302. The room is located right above the outside patio, so can be a little loud early evening. Room was clean, double beds. I loved the shower with the peek a boo curtain. You can put the curtain down for privacy in the bathroom, or you can roll it up and give your roommate a little show. LOL!!

The balcony door lock was broken, and I told the front desk and it was changed and fixed within 2 hours. The ac was another thing. I complained about the AC not cooling the room properly after the 1st night. They were to send someone up to fix up...but looks like the fix was turning it down to 60...which didn't fix anything. It wasn't unbearable, but wasn't 100% comfortable either. The beds were also super comfy!

The location is great. I took the shuttle down to the cove area. It was a 5 min ride. 15 ride to the airport.

The hotel hosts a wine hour 5-6 every day, and has different activities depending on the day. I also hung out at the pool for a few hours. It is a small pool, with very limited lounge chairs. The pool was heated so that was nice. The outside lounge area was very chill. Would consider staying here again in the future, but I think I would like to be closer walking distance to the beach.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

CBunches,

You ROCK! Thanks so much for all the props. I'm sorry about your experience with the A/C. We actually just went through a nice little (actually quite big) tune-up on our colling system so I can assure you that there will be no shortage of cool air on your next visit. Feel free to borrow one of our beach cruisers to bike to the beach on your next visit so you don't have to worry about walking, our chef can even prepare a nice little picnic lunch for your to take with you.

Please let me know when you return, you will be so comfy that you won't want to leave your room.

858-551-3690

There are newer reviews for Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton

Reviewed May 19, 2013

The staff here is exceptional. The rooms are nice (typical of the Kimpton brand) and it's in a nice area. This alone makes it an above average property, but the staff is what really makes it shine. Every single person I encountered went above and beyond to make sure my stay was superb.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

tjw503,

You are EXCEPTIONAL! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiece. I love that you found our staff to be as outstanding and we find them to be, I sure am a lucky gal! Come back and visit again soon, maybe you'll get to squeeze in a little leisure time on your next business trip.

All my best,

Reviewed May 15, 2013

If you are traveling in this area, hands down, this is the place to stay! Even though the hotel is an older hotel that has been remodeled, the rooms look brand new! Loved the style! The lobby and pool area had a very nice vibe and all the staff was super friendly and the valet guys were always willing to offer directions. Even though we didn't pay for a ocean view room, we still had a great balcony with an awesome view! Walking distance to the ocean and shops in town and also right next to a Starbucks. Really enjoyed our stay here! Good rate for the quality (but keep in mind the overnight parking costs adds quite a bit!). Have fun!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Oh Kayla B.,

YOU are hands down the BEST! Thanks so much for the raving review, I'm so happy that you had such a fantastic visit. I hope you will be visiting us again soon, we can't wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

On a short business trip, my first time at this hotel, my stay has turned out nicely. The staff could not have been more pleasant. Everyone I encountered was friendly and helpful. I was given a corner room on the 6th floor, a welcome upgrade on checkin. I can see the water just over the trees looking to the West. The restaurant, Cusp, 5 floors higher on the 11th floor, has a very good view of the surrounding hills, the bay and setting sun, a bar with variety of good west coast products and a menu that is limited but interesting. If you want Internet access joining the Kimptom loyalty program connects you for free. Other comments in the reviews below raise good points to keep in mind. There can be noise for a light sleeper from passing traffic. The live music at the ground floor open air lounge can get to be a distraction (but the weather was so nice I had to sleep with the doors to the balconies wide open). The area is upscale but not so inviting to pedestrians. If you are here without a car, the hotel has a shuttle that runs locally. The room I was given was clean and comfortably laid out and appointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

dcdowntown,

Thanks so much for the great review! I'm so happy to hear you had such pleasant encounters with our team, they truly are the best! You really can't beat our ocean views, I'm glad you were able to spend a little time in the room to enjoy it.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I took a trip to La Jolla to see a play at UCSD. The location of the hotel to the school campus was perfect - just a quick 5 min drive away.
The staff at the hotel couldn't have been friendlier. We brought our 50lb Siberian Husky with us and couldn't have felt more welcome - usually a hotel claims to be pet friendly but what they really mean is pet tolerant. Not The Hotel La Jolla - they truly loved having our pet there. They provided us with a bed, food/water bowls, a little toy and everyone on the staff wanted to pet our dog (who loves to be pet).
The appetizers and drinks we had at the restaurant at the top of the hotel (Cusp) were all delicious and inexpensive (we went during happy hour).
The room itself was very large, and the bed was incredibly comfortable. We stayed in an ocean view room, and I gotta say that even overcast and drizzly the view was enjoyable. We opened up the sliding door and had coffee and breakfast on the balcony.
I really can't say enough nice things about this hotel. We will definitely be back :)

Room Tip: It's worth paying a little extra for an Ocean view room that's on a higher floor with a bigg...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear jessik67,

Thanks so much for taking time to write this raving review! I must say I laughed when you mentioned the pet tolerance of other hotel companies as I often refer to their "friendliness" in that exact manner. I'm so happy your pooch felt the love, our team just can't get enough of our furry guests (pets that is, not people).

We can't wait to welcome you back to less drizzle and more sunshine on your next visit.

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are on our 3rd night here at Hotel La Jolla, sitting in the outside lounge area ("Hiatus") and cannot stop talking about how wonderful our experience at this hotel has been that we were inspired to write a review.
If you opt for an ocean view room on a higher floor, you'll be so pleased with the view and sunsets that you can watch right from your room. We are on the 6th floor and the view is just wonderful at sunset. The restaurant on the 11th floor also has an amazing view and Delicious food!
There is free shuttle service to and from anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel, which easily gets you into the village where all of the restaurants, shops and La Jolla cove are.
The staff is beyond friendly, warm and accommodating and the rooms are more modern than we expected them to be based on the exterior structure of the hotel.
I'd say this hotel is a 'don't judge a book by its cover' kind of place. I've stayed at a few Kimptons and loved them all but this is, by far, my favorite. Everyone has gone out of their way to be sure we are enjoying ourselves and happy here and the ambiance of the rooms, restaurant and outside lounge are trendy, yet warm.
Oh, and you can borrow their bikes or scooters to get down to the beach, which is a 5 minute bike ride away!
If you are even considering Hotel La Jolla, consider it a YES!

• Stayed: May 2013

Oh SuppaGurl, you just made my day! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with fellow travelers. Our team ROCKS and I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your time with them as much as I do.

We can't wait to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Slamming doors, moving furniture, children bouncing on beds above is all due to paper thin walls.
Do not stay here unless you bring ear plugs! Doors do not have automatic door closers. Hotel is also located between two very busy streets but close to UCSD.
Also, hotel is under staffed at late hours. Room service does not answer because the person that takes your order is also chef and delivers your food. Ordered salad and lettuce was old and wilted. The valet is also the one who delivers your extra blankets and pillow. Everyone very friendly but certainly this hotel is not worth the price. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

carmen k,

Ouch, this review feels like I've just ripped a bandaid off of my arm. I really appreciate your candid feedback and can assure you that this will be used as a training opportunity for our team.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

All my best,