“Fantastic Stay!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Fantastic Stay!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Our stay here was perfect. Our ocean view room on the 8th floor was lovely and quiet with a large bathroom. The staff really sets this hotel apart though. Everyone was so friendly and made us feel completely at home. The valet guys were so nice and their recommendations were always helpful and spot on. We ate breakfast and dinner in Cusp and the food was very good and the view was great. We also loved Hiatus, the poolside bar. The bartender was terrific and set us up with a heat lamp since the evening was a bit cool. The drinks were excellent and they make their own syrups and mixers. The daily wine hour was great too. It's a short walk to the cute and relaxed town of La Jolla Shores and the beach. The hotel also has bikes for their guests. If we come back to the area, we will definitely stay here again. Kudos to the staff for being so amazing!

Room Tip: We chose an ocean view room, which means being on a higher floor and we were glad that we did. All r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MPLS100
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear MPLS100,

I'm so happy to see that you had such a fantastic stay! Thank you for sharing that with other potential guests. I agree that our staff is what sets us apart from other hotels and companies out there. They truly care about our guests and want to make sure that your stay is one to remember. I'll be sure to share your feedback with our team.

I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Shannon Foster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I loved my recent stay at the Kimpton in San Diego. The staff was extremely friendly. The rooms were ultra modern, well maintained. The bar/lounge area was fun to hang out in and people watch. I appreciate the fact that they accept pets too. I will definitely come back to Kimpton. It reminded me of the W Hotels, but without the dbags and house music.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HotelLover731
Dear chnkylvr,

Thanks so much for writing such a phenomenal review about the hotel. I'm happy to see that you enjoyed our hotel so much, especially the team and the ambiance.

Come back to see us again soon!

Thanks again,
Lake Elsinore, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a second time at this location! Can't say enough about the wonderful attitude of all staff! From valet to check in you are welcomed with a friendly attitude and made to feel like family! This property is walking distance to La Jolla shores, and the staff are so friendly and accommodating! They make you feel welcome and are ready to get you anything you need to make you relax and enjoy your time! That offer free bikes to ride, a wine hour in the lobby with live music, and are even pet friendly! When you check in, the staff addresses you by name and asks you for any needs you might have! They offer car service to local hot spots and tell you all the local attractions. The rooms are clean, well stocked, and have the most comfortable beds! Lovely location, beautiful views, a great restaurant/bar, with heated pool, live music, welcoming lobby- you couldn't feel more relaxed and welcomed! Thank you hotel la Jolla for a truly enjoyable weekend at the beach!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Kathy M
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Kathy M,

Thank you so much for your very kind words about our team and your visit. We are truly lucky to have the team we do and I'm so pleased to see that you had such an amazing experience.

I hope you are planning to visit us again soon!

858-551-3690
Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I travel to the area frequently and took a chance on this hotel and, am I glad I did. The service was great! I called them to let them know that I would be arriving late and asked them to guarantee my King Bed on high floor and they said "no problem." I didn't get the "we can't guarantee this and that" like other hotels. Also, after the first day, everyone knew my name - I hope that's a good thing - and greeted me by it coming and going. The rooms are nice and contemporary. I had an ocean view room and truly enjoyed the sunsets each evening. The all-glass shower was a nice addition to the room and I loved it. They even had free bike rentals which I took advantage of. If you do this, remember for every hill you go down, you have to eventually come back up! Two things prevented me from rating this a 5 - one was the bed. The sheets were heavenly but the mattress was not comfortable. It was one of the platform beds with one mattress on top. I think my body is just used to a nice pillowtop mattress. Second was that I was awaken at 2:00 in the morning by the sound of pots/pans crashing to the floor. The top floor is right under the rooftop restaurant and it gets noisy. I can dea

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Wallaan
Dear Wallaan,

Thank you so much for the great review! I was so happy to see that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I'm sorry the mattress was not to your liking, please feel free to reach out to me prior to your next visit and I'm happy to put a pillow top on the mattress to make it more comfortable for you.

I hope to see you with us again soon.

All my best,

858-551-3690
Los Cristianos, Spain
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Friendly staff, comfortable accommodation, great location. Pet friendly. Will definitely be back.
Breakfast and lunch were fantastic. Definitely recommend the restaurant. We had a lovely room with balcony Oceanside. Love the bell staff. Great place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Joann D
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Joann D,

We love you too! Thanks so much for your kind words, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a great review. I hope to see you next time you are in town.

Thanks again!

Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Hotel La Jolla turned out to be a real gem. We read many positive reviews on Tripadvisor, and decided to go for it. The hotel was easy to get to from the airport in San Diego even after taking the back way through the OB, MB and La Jolla.

The best thing about the Hotel was the BED! The hotel had a nice modern and contemporary feeling to it without being pretentious. The service was top notch and friendly.

ROOM:

we paid a little extra for an ocean view room. We were on the 8th floor and had a wonderful view. The room itself was nicely appointed. The fixtures and furnishing were modern and welcoming. I could appreciate the view from the shower or close the shade if you didn't want to disturb the person sleeping. but the absolutely best thing about the room was the bed. I personally have never slept on a more comfortable hotel bed. The curtains were very dark and kept 95% of the light out. Also, the slider door did a nice job of insulating any traffic noise from the road below.

CUSP restaurant:

my wife and I decided to try out cusp for our first nights dinner. We made a reservation so we wouldn't have to worry about it. We realized that CUSP is a perfect spot to share a few appetizers and have some wonderful drinks while watching the sunsets. The restaurant and bar are on the top floor of the hotel and offer spectacular views. The happy hour drink menu was limited, but changes monthly. We were enamored with the brown derby! The appetizer list is just long enough to offer something for everyone. After lingering at the bar we sat for dinner and had a lovely meal. The food is well prepared and the service was very good. I would say that for a "hotel" restaurant , CUSP, was well above average.

Pool/Exercise:

We didn't use the pool because there wasn't a jacuzzi and the local weather was sunny but a bit chilly. Had it been a little warmer, the pool area would have been very inviting.

The exercise room was small and efficient with everything you would need. Having the bowl of earplugs was a bonus for my wife who had forgotten hers at home. I found the hula-hoops entertaining even if my wife thought I looked dorky using them!

LOCATION:

15 minutes from San Diego airport Via 1-5. and also just a few minutes from the heart of La Jolla.

The Kimpton Loyalty club is worth signing up for. I think we got a $25 restaurant credit, a $10 raid the minibar credit, and free wifi. And now that we know about this place I am sure we'll be coming back soon for another romantic getaway!

Room Tip: spend the few extra bucks for a room on one of the upper floors. The view from above is much better.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Loves2eatvegas
Dear Loves2eatvegas,

Thanks so much for choosing us for your romantic weekend getaway! It sounds like you had a fantastic stay! I was so happy to see that you enjoyed your visit to the restaurant, we certainly are lucky to have such a phenomenal restaurant onsite!

I hope to see you again soon!

All my best,
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We planned a spontaneous weekend trip to San Diego and as an InTouch Inner Circle member I called to see if any free nights available. Luck me there were, so I booked that and a paid second night for our trip. When we arrived, the staff was very friendly and had already upgraded us to a superb ocean view room on the 9th floor. We couldn't not have asked for a better room as we took several great photographs of the sunset the next evening. The room it self was very clean and beds were comfortable. We did notice that the smoke detector was blinking every 20 seconds, which I suppose was due to low batteries, but since we had two queens beds, we simply slept on the bed away fromt the awry smoke detector.

What we loved about our stay was the free bike rentals! There are some great rides to downtown La Jolla, where you can lock your bikes up and explore downtown, and even walk down to the beach and see the seals bathing in the sun. Despite a bit of traffic on the main roads it was reasonable to get there and back.

The evening wine hour was also great and we enjoyed sitting on the bar/patio area by the pool. The servers were very friendly and the bartender went out of his way to make sure the heating lamp beside us was working correctly. We really appreciated that!

We also used the gym one morning and found it small, but with adequate equipment. The weights and machines were all in good working order.

Finally, as part of my Inner Circle night, they even gave us a $50 food and beverage credit, which we used at Cusp for brunch. I must say we were surprised and delighted by the restaurant. A very warm, inviting and cheerful room with superb ocean views. We were given a two-top facing the ocean. Our server was great and we really enjoyed the food. My pork belly panini was fantastic - crunchy pork belly with pancetta, pickled shallots, and srircha, honey and butter sauce was amazing!

Overall we had a spectacular stay at the Hotel La Jolla and look forward to returning on our next trip to San Diego!

Room Tip: Get the pork belly panini for brunch/lunch in Cusp.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank volkswankin
Dear volkswankin,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. It sounds like you had a great weekend away, we really appreciate that you chose to spend it with us! We hope to see you again soon!