“Warm and Welcome!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fargo, North Dakota
“Warm and Welcome!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was my second stay at the Hotel La Jolla and my experience both times was excellent. The service at the Hotel La Jolla is second to none. When I came back for my second trip, the staff at the front desk greated me by name. All of the other staff greeted me warmly and quickly learned my name and used it each time they saw me. The atmosphere at the hotel is great and has a cool vibe. I will definitely be coming back to the Hotel La Jolla everytime I am in the area for business.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms offer an amazing view of the La Jolla area including the cliffs and ocean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank thestonewalker
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear thestonewalker,

You're the best! Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a phenomenal review about the hotel. I am so happy to see that you've had such great experiences when you've stayed with us and we can't wait to have you with us again soon.

Cheers!
Shannon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband & I decided to escape the desert to the beach for the weekend and we chose Hotel La Jolla due to their pet-friendly policy (I am also a Kimpton Inner Circle Member). I typically travel on business and love seeing the pets at the Kimpton properties. Our dogs were welcomed with open paws...they had their names on the "bone board", the room was set up with 2 beds, 2 sets of bowls and some gifts. We weren't given a 10 minute lecture on the expected behavior of our dogs or asked breed. In fact, we just had to sign one document that they gave us after check out so as not to tie us up and the document was very reasonable in its request. That was it! The staff went out of their way to tell us where to take the dogs to the beach (walking distance) and the times they were allowed. They even looked up pet-friendly hiking trails for us. The hotel was spotless and the staff fantastic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear tawood4,

Thanks so much for the PAWfect review! We love our pets just as much as our humans and it sounds like you were able to experience this first hand. I'm so happy to see that you had such a fantastic exeperience and I hope to have you with us again soon.

Cheers!
Centerville, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time in la jolla. Wish i spent more time researching hotels. First off, parking is not free, they made us valet our rental car for $28 per night. So any discount I got online, there it went! Valet staff was very nice, but would have preferred to park myself.
Hotel was pretty dead, so front desk was able to check us in early. I said i read reviews online of hotel and would like quiet room. He said i could pay to upgrade to premium room, considering they were less than half full, thought that was kind of rude, i declined to pay the extra $35 per night. He put me in corner room 501, where i got to hear room next door 502, opening and shutting there door all night and morning! I thought it was a bad joke. When i mentioned to the girl at the front desk the next morning, she said when it happens again call us and we can call them? Thanks for nothing! How about a quiet room like i originally asked for? We had room right above outside bar and near street, couldnt have been more opposite of what I wanted for a nice quiet stay. I stayed on a Monday and Tuesday with my spouse. We were the only ones at pool and they couldn't accomodate us with a quiet room? So no I would not stay at again or recommend to anyone that wants a nice quiet getaway.
I loved the gym, small but great equipment and we were only ones in there. Loved the heated pool, but sun is blocked by trees by 1pm. So it gets cold quick in shade after that. Had ordered lunch from Cusp by the pool. Food was good, but cheeseburger was raw when i said well. Server was nice, but someone dropped ball on order.
Cusp for happy hour and dinner was amazing! Service, drinks and were exceptional. Nate and his staff do a stupendous job. Skip staying at hotel and go there for dinner! View is breathtaking :)

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Amy G
Dear Amy G,

Thanks for taking time to write a review about the hotel, I truly appreciate it! It sounds like we really dropped the ball on this stay, I'm really disapponited to hear about your experience.

I'd like to discuss your stay further and make your experience right.

Please give me a call when you have a few minutes to chat.

tiburon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Beautifully renovated hotel in convenient area.Just to note: this hotel is not right in downtown La Jolla or close to the beach. Staff was very accomodating and helpful. Since we are Kimpton members, we received a few extra perks that made us feel special. A very friendly place to stay. We were upgraded to a room on the 7th floor which had a nice view of the ocean. We experienced no noise from the nearby busy street. Parking was easy in the neighborhood and saved us a valet fee.

Room Tip: A room higher up than 5-6th floor will most likely have an ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TiburonClaire
Dear Tiburon Claire,

Thanks so much for the raving review, we really appreciate it! I'm really happy to see that our team made you feel so special during your visit, that what's we are all about and it's great to see that you felt it.

I hope to have you with us again soon!

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Recently stayed here on a trip with the family to take our 2 year old to the local San Diego tourist attractions. Upon arrival everything was quick and ready, even had the goldfish in our room for my daughter. Rooms were nice, beds were very comfortable. Hotel worked great for us and we would probably go again, I will caution that this hotel caters more to business travellers in our opinion. Lobby is connected to bar, loud music echos upwards through balcony doors whilte trying to put kids to bed, intoxicated people lingering at the valet stand. I will give the valet staff full credit for recognizing I was with my child and doing their best to get us through quickly and asking even asking for a gentleman to watch his language.
Pros - Great location, short drive to all major tourist attractions, fantastic staff, modern look, lots of great local restaurants

Cons - No bathtub (we should have checked before) Need room not above bar area, Cusp restaurant is not a family restaurant,

All in all we would stay here again moving our room.

Room Tip: Stay away from any room near the bar
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Scotod
Dear Scotod,

Thanks so much for taking tiem out of your busy scheduling to write a review about the hotel. We were so happy to see that you enjoyed your visit with us. I was disappointed to see that you did not feel we were as kid friendly as you anticipated we would be and I would love to discuss your experience further.

Please call me or email me when you have a few minutes to chat.

Trumbull, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 of the best nights at the Hotel La Jolla in La Jolla California. The decor in the lobby is so modern, beautiful and warm. Some really unusual pieces, with a beautiful fireplace. The staff there was the best I have ever encountered anywhere else in the world. So friendly, warm and truly interested in their guests. You only had to ask and they jumped to answer your wishes. The room we had was amazingly beautiful and roomy with a spectacular view. The large walk in shower had a motorized shade that you could put down for privacy or up to shower and see the views while you did. The new outdoor bar area was perfect for lounging, relaxing or making new friends. The pool was heated to just the right temperature. We will definitely stay there again when we go to the San Diego area. A true delight and very inviting with all the torches.
Love Love, Love it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up with a view of the city. Try to be away from the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Kathy Z,

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YOU! Thanks so much for staying with us and for taking the time to write a glowing review about the hotel. I'm so happy to see that you had such a fantastic experience, it sounds like you had such a great weekend away.

I look forward to having you again soon!

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

The hotel was much further from the beach than we had thought and although refurbished, still retains the feeling of that sixties build. I was slightly disappointed that although the room had a balcony and a nice view, the hotel sits above a busy road so the noise and lights of the traffic are difficult to get away from. The room felt quite narrow and we were too near the lift which was quite noisy. Not a relaxing stay although the staff were fantastic. They offer a shuttle service to any restaurant within 5 miles of the hotel, which puts everything in La Jolla at your disposal. In fact this was an individual car service which drops you at your restaurant and picked us up again very quickly after our meal. That really made our evening and was a very nice touch.
Overall slightly disappointed in the location but the staff really made the difference as we have come to expect at a Kimpton. If we return to La Jolla we will stay in town so as to be near everything.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear ASWh,

Thanks so much for staying with us and for taking time to write a review. I'm sorry you did not enjoy the location of our building but I was happy to see that you were able to take advantage of our car service. It sounds like our team truly made your stay great and I am so happy to hear that. If you decide to stay with us again, please reach out to me directly prior to your arrival and I'd be happy to select a room on the north side that would be quieter for you.