WINNER WONDERLAND

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
CALABASAS
“Great value, updated rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were so pleased to find this hotel, suggested by a fellow business traveler. We were working in San Diego for two days, and this is the perfect place if you need to be budget conscious. Go for an upper floor with an ocean view; it's worth it. They are extremely accommodating, with UCSD students for valet parking, etc. To us, that meant that they were young, educated and thoughtful; unusual in a hotel. They have renovated with a retro look, but very clean lines, which is carried out in the rooms. Although they weren't large, everything is done very tastefully. The road noise is a bit higher than I would like, but not bad. But for the money, this is a steal.

Room Tip: Upper floor with ocean view is best
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear boothstar,

Thank you for staying with us, it's so great to see that you had such an enjoyable stay. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed the newly renovated hotel. When you stay next time, inform the reservations agent that you would like to have a room on the north side of the building and we will do our very best to accommodate that for you.

Thanks again for staying with us and for the great review.

I hope to have you with us again soon.

Shannon Foster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pearland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at Hotel La Jolla right after Christmas for a fabulous 4 nights. The ocean view room w/small balcony was spacious and modern. The best part is that we were able to take our dog, Betty Lou. The hotel was amazing, super clean with the best outdoor bar and pool area. The "Cusp" restaurant on the 11th floor was unbelievable! The foods was perfect and the view was just astounding. Every evening they have complimentary wine in the lobby. Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear sandrags,

Thanks so much for spending your Christmas with and for the phenomenal review! I'm so happy to see that you and Betty Lou had such a great stay! Hopefully we will see you again soon, especially over the next few months as the weather warms up.

Morgantown, WV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel was a bit more luxury than my wife and I were accustomed to. We were there on a routine Wednesday in January when there were few guests but a lot of help trying their best to compete for cash tips. I don’t mind taking my bag to the room, thank you.. Thanks for the restaurant hints but we’ve already picked out our dining spot this evening. No thank you for the parking valet service for $28. I’ll park a few blocks away for free if you don’t mind.

We did ask for a good view on a high floor but were told that that would be $40 extra.

This is a 4-star hotel but is in an inconvenient location. Nothing is close. You must drive everywhere or take the hotel shuttle to your destination. The room was very, very, nice but we weren’t in it much. On the whole, this hotel possessed a nostalgic charm from another era.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear WVCliff,

Thanks so much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experience. Please accept my sincerest apologies for our service having been off putting for you. I can assure you that the team genuinely cares for our guests and likes to contribute to the overall positive experience.

I'd love for you to give us another chance. Please fee free to contact me directly when you come back to La Jolla.

858-551-3690
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I wanted to get away after the holidays and we also wanted to bring our dog, a medium sized German Shepherd mix.
The Kimpton hotel chain has a reputation for having no restrictions on pets, and while we've stayed at a number of their hotels, we have never brought along our dog.
When we checked into the room there was a dog bed, bowl, and dog toy, along with bags to pickup after your pet. Fabulous! Our dog was happy to be with us.

As for the hotel - they have a great wine hour in the lobby every evening from 5pm to 6pm.
The rooms are laid out nicely with a view of the water even from our 3rd floor balcony.
Beds are comfortable; bathroom and shower nicely appointed.

Hotel La Jolla is not in the center of town, but that is a nice thing. Walking distance to some fine restaurants who didn't mind us having our dog with us while sitting outside.

One final note - my wife left her wedding rings in the hotel and didn't remember until after we got back home. We called the hotel who found them and shipped them to us via FedEx the next day. Great service from their housekeeping staff and management of the hotel.

Definitely will stay there again and I highly recommend it to those traveling to La Jolla.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MAC_LA1
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear MAC_LA1,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such great feedback about your recent experience with us, we truly appreciate it! I was so pleased to see that we had located your wife's wedding rings and were able to get those out to you rather quickly, I can certainly understand how stressful that would be. I was also happy to see that you, your wife and your German Shepard all had such a great stay with us.

Thank you for choosing us for your visit. I hope to have you with us again soon.

Cheers!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We spent 5 nights over New Years at the Hotel La Jolla. On the day of our arrival I called the hotel and told them we would be arriving very late. By chance I asked what floor they had us on, and the woman told me the 5th. That sound good considering most of the reviews said you wanted to be on floor 5 or above to see the water.

Upon arrival we were not checked into a room on the 5th floor, but room 310. While the room was nicely furnished it was small. It was also very close to the parking lot. It was also one of the rooms that shared a hallway with another room, so that it could be made into a larger two bedroom suite. Since we checked in so late the hotel was relatively quiet. That changed in the morning when our neighbors in 311 let the door slam every time they left the room. At that point we decided to say something.

Nikki is one of the managers, and she made the situation better right away. We were moved to the 10th floor to room 1007. The room was much larger and had a beautiful view of the ocean. But it did have some quirks. It’s directly below the restaurant so you can hear people walking around and moving tables. There was one moment when we heard a large crash of glasses or plates. But we usually go to be late, after mid night, and by that time the restaurant was quiet. The mornings were a different story. I am not sure who it was, but at 7am I could hear of click clacking high heels every day. We tried to sleep through it the best we could. If the hotel put down a carpet in the restaurant I am sure it would solve the noise problem.

The hotel is very lovely, but what really makes it is the staff. They were so warm and friendly. They attended to our needs and made sure we were having a great time. They especially paid a lot of interest to our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who was with us on the trip. There was not a moment when they did not say high to her or offer her a treat. They even brought over their former pet ambassador, another Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, to say hello.

The location of the hotel is great. It’s a 5 minute drive to downtown La Jolla (the cove). It was a short walk to La Jolla Shores. And I would say it was about a 15-20 minute drive to downtown San Diego. Speaking of driving, you do have to valet park despite the fact that there is a good size parking lot. But that didn't bother me. Plus, I am sure there’s a method to the madness.

Room Tip: As for a room on the 9th floor away from the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear tolopez,

I would first like to thank you for spending your holiday with us. I would also like to thank you for your candid feedback regarding your stay. We will certainly follow up on the comments mentioned regarding the noise from the restaurant.

I was so happy to see that you had such fantastic interactions with our team and I will be sure to share your feedback with everyone. Although we did not meet during your stay, I certainly remember your beautiful dog.

Thanks again for such great feedback! I look forward to meeting you on your next stay in La Jolla!

Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Spent 3 nights at Hotel La Jolla and really enjoyed the visit. They had a newly renovated proptery and di a fabulous job with the design and decor. The beds a very comfortable with luxurious down comforters and cozy throw blankets. The flat panel TV are hugh for a hotel but are great for in bed viewing of sports and other events. The bathroom is modern and clean except for the lack of towels one evening which was remedied by Laura at the front desk. Thanks Laura : ) We did not venture up the the 11th floor resturant because we were to busy exploring and using the free bikes at the hotel. The drive up in the evening to the valet stand was fun too. You will be suprised. The velets were prompt, professional, and courtious and did not expect a tip every time we came and went, although a few bucks is appreciated. The hotel charges a $28.00 per day for valet charge. We liked it becaouse the valets can keep traffice flowing and moving guests in and out efficiently. They were great.

Overall we loved the Hotel La Jolla and would recomend to others. The modern decor was cool and the coffee and tea service in the Lobby were handy. The evening wine reception by the heated pool was a treat. An easy walk to the beach form this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views of the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear TNtraveler1998,

Thanks so much for choosing to spend your long weekend with us! I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed our newly hotel and that you had such a fantastic visit! I will be sure to share your great comments with our valet team.

I look forward to having you with us again soon. Hopefully you will get a chance to check out Cusp on your next visit, our chef has just added some fantastic new items to the menu.

Palo Alto, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

On arrival, we were immediately impressed with what a fantastic job they did with the remodel. Landscaping, interior design, etc all fantastic. BUT, they must have blown the budget on the remodel and are now skimping on staff. Only one person managing the check in process. 2.5 hour wait to get into our room. Sounds like housekeeping is to blame. Not sure if half of the housekeeping staff just didn't show up to work or what. And very little effort being made to make us or the other disappointed guests waiting in the lobby feel better about the situation.

Stayed December 2012
3 Thank SabbaticalBob
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear SabbaticalBob,

I would first like to thank you for staying with us in December. I really appreciate your candid feedback regarding your experience and am happy to see that you enjoyed our newly remodeled hotel. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the disappointments you experienced with your arrival experience.

It is very unusual for someone to have to wait an extended period of time to check into the hotel. I'd love to discuss your experience further in order to be able to follow up with our team that worked the day of your arrival. Please call my directly at 858.551.3690.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.