“Great location, good price, ok place” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“Great location, good price, ok place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

Based on the TA reviews, I was thinking this was going to be the deal and hotel of a lifetime... not so. 1) First off, the hotel has done remodeling since TA traveler's 2008 photos & the 2010 photos are accurate. We had 3 total rooms and they all looked the same. However, despite the remodel, they kept some of the old touches. The frame of the hotel is still an old concrete open hotel. They kept all the old doors & some parts the end tables & desks. All of that is fine, but upkeep is not really the priority. In each of the rooms, furniture, walls, ceilings, & doors were scuffed and stained. If you have carpal tunnel, don't stay here because the new trendy bathroom sinks faucets are impossible to turn off with wet hands and even dry hands at times. 2) The location is right by a busy highway. In a newer hotel this wouldn't be an issue, but this hotel still seems to have single pane glass everywhere. So not only can you hear the ambulances going by, you can hear the garbage and delivery trucks at 6 am. Request a room away from the elevator because there is tile there & the rolling suitcases will surely annoy you. 3) We were told $40 extra for an ocean view. I believe it must be on floors 7, 8, 9, & 10? The other floors have no view. Spring for the ocean view, but maybe stay away from the 10th floor because the restaurant is on the 11th & they had a loud late wedding dance one night we were there. 4) Rumor has it though the restaurant/ bar will be closing soon though, which is a shame because it was the nicest part of the hotel. Great service, good food, amazing view. No complimentary breakfast- fyi. 5) Clealiness wasn't 5 star. Having said that, it is a hotel 7 blocks from the beach, so often comes with the territory. 6) Location is prime. Walk 7 blocks and you are on La Jolla Shores or take their hotel shuttle and you are La Jolla Cove. You couldn't find a safer, more ritzy area with a million water things to do, places to shop, restaurants to dine. 7) The staff upon our very late night check-in was clueless and really just a waste of our time. We had to come back the following day and ask everything again. However, one manager who seemed to work every single day was overly kind and helpful, so who knows. Most staff were very helpful, but odd that they didn't wear name tags. 8) There was a small pool and fitness room that we did not try. Free coffee every am. Starbucks right next door. 9) In summary, this place needs some TLC and isn't perfect, but for the price (half of what you pay 7 blocks away) and location, you may want to consider it. It really depends on your priorities.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

Enjoyed a 3-night stay at Hotel La Jolla. Go ahead and opt for the ocean view-- it's only a few more dollars a night and is certainly a lovely way to wake up in the morning. The hotel is only a 5 minute drive from La Jolla Cove/downtown (Prospect Street), 15 minutes from the airport, and has super-easy access to I-5. If you don't have a rental car, the hotel does provide a shuttle service for free transport within 5 miles of the hotel. This is also a nice location for taking a morning walk to the nearby beach or in the adjacent residential areas.

Comfortable room; modern and clean. I will say that the see-through shower in my room was odd (the shower is glass and is facing the bedroom, so your travel companion could feasibly watch you shower all the way from the balcony...hmmmm). There is a shade that can be pulled down to allow for showering privacy but the one on my 8th floor room was stuck. Not that it mattered since I was alone, but yeah-- it was interesting! At least I could watch the TV in the bedroom from the shower- haha. I was also surprised that the corridors to the rooms are outside entry- not an enclosed hotel corridor. Despite that, it actually did not have a "motel" feel. Interesting set-up.

Staff was pleasant and friendly (with the exception of one valet who was having a grumpy night). They were overall very helpful with assisting with luggage and providing parking for the vehicle. Apparently the hotel will be a part of the Kimpton hotel family in the near future. Wi-fi will be free to Kimpton rewards members, so go ahead and sign up for free on the Kimpton site and bring your rewards number with you; until the transition to becoming a Kimpton property is complete, wifi is free for all guests.

La Jolla is one of my favorite places to visit; with a rate similar to the one I enjoyed on this trip (package deal by booking on their website- 30% off a 3-night stay) I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose floors 5 and up for a few bucks more for an ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank GirlOnAGlobe
texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

Rooms up to date, very clean. Bed was comfortable. Balcony view of the ocean from room, floor 8. Restaurant on top floor with very good view and the food was above average. Hotel is next to a Subway, Starbucks, and gas station. Hotel is about 3 blocks from ocean.

La Jolla, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

My husband and I wanted to go on a little getaway but still stay in town. We heard about the restaurant (The Grill) and its spectacular view so we decided to spend the night and check out the whole hotel. Eventhough we were only there for one night Johnson(?) and the rest of the staff -valet, front desk, and the servers at the restaurant were wonderful. Yes, this hotel has a great restaurant with a fabulous sunset view, but the hotel itself was warm and inviting. Perfect one night getaway. Definitely we will stay there again.

Room Tip: all rooms face the ocean, but I suppose the higher the better?
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

I have never written a review of my travels. I am not sure why, however, i guess it has something to do with everything meeting my expectations. If you are staying at a La Quinta you expect servce a little less than you would at the Four Seasons. I felt compelled to write this review becuase Hotel La Jolla surpassed my expectations more than you can imagine. I read many reviews of many hotel and finally just picked one. Many had positives and negatives and in the end it was better to have a room than to settle for somewhere you did not want to be. I booked the Hotel La Jolla directly throught their website and made it clear what i was expecting. Mainly I was looking for a true "ocean view room" and that this was a special trip to take our 3 year old on his first trip to a real beach. We arrrived at the hotel at about 1 which was 2 hours before our check in time. Upon arriving to the valet we were greeted and directed to the lobby. Upon entering the lobby we met Johnson. Johnson immediately knew who we were and said your room is ready and we have a treat for your son waiting in the room. The hotel has a strange Lobby and first floor but it is clean and they have done their best to modernize an old building. We arrived to our room on the 10th floor with a view that was simply amazing. In our room, which was very nce by the way, was a box of animal crackers and a bag of gummy bears for our sons. It was a nice touch and proved to me that there was something special. We wanted to go to the beach the hotel provided us with chairs and an umbrella and even gave us a free ride. We were there during the great black out and the hotel provided wine, water, and cheese, celery and carrots for dinner as everything was closed. Needless to say we were impressed with every aspect of this hotel and intend to stay there again.

Room Tip: you can save money through expedia or hot wire, but I truly think that booking through the hotel dir...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stayed at this hotel September, 2011 for two nights. It is in a great location - about a 5 minute walk to the beach. The "downtown" La Jolla is about a 5 − 10 minute car ride away - or the hotel offers free shuttle service (pick-up and drop-off) within a 5 mile radius. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. We got a great rate on hotwire and received a king-size bed on the fourth floor and large flat screen tv. We had a peek-a-boo view of the ocean. The bathroom is modern with a great shower. I would definately come back again.

Murrieta, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

I had just went through the reviews with some people mentioning some negative aspects of their stay. After booking through Travelzoo, I found the place to be really nice in terms of service from valet to desk. The hotel is about 7 minutes over to the beach so it's not that far and there are shops to stop by as well. We arrived early and they were able to accomodate us on the 5th floor with an ocean view without paying extra. Luckily, the Travelzoo deal included parking so that didn't bother us as much as the tipping. The room is modern and the bathroom is pretty impressive. There's not much to fuss here but I don't think I'll come back unless I get the rate that I paid for since it's expensive without the deal.

Room Tip: Come an hour earlier than check-in to see if they can accommodate you for a higher floor.
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,941 reviews

Been to Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!