“Wonderful stay!”

Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Arizona
“Wonderful stay!”
Reviewed September 11, 2007

Appearance: This hotel was well maintained inside and out. The room had nice décor and the view from our room was very lovely (looked down on a little pond).

Cleanliness: Very.

Room: Average size hotel room. Very nice beds (one of the people staying with me loved the covers but said the bed was a little harder then she normally likes).

Staff: Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful, from the front desk person at 12am when we checked in to the maid service, who brought us every thing we requested. Every time I spoke to an employee they had a smile and their face and they did everything they could to make my stay more comfortable.

Parking: Free!!! Compared to some similar places where parking is $20 a night this was very nice. Although during our stay (a off weekend) we never had a problem finding a close parking spot, during a busy weekend this might not be the case.

Safety: I felt very safe here. The neighborhood, as expected in La Jolla, felt very safe and every hallway that opened to the outside was locked at night and you had to have a room key to enter.

Surrounding Area: There was a health foods market right next door (lots of fresh fruit!) and a Ralphs, which was really nice since the room had a frig. There were plenty of dining options within walking distance. If you want chain dining I saw a TGIF, Rock Bottom, Islanders, Rubio’s, etc.. Also in the shopping center right next door there were some local restaurants and coffee shops. I did not try the hotel restaurant.

Location: About 10-15 min. drive to beach and a 5 min drive to Scripts.

***There was a huge pot-hole right after you turn right coming out of the hotel street (Holiday) onto the main road. Beware of this because it could cause damage to a car... :(

I had a wonderful time at this hotel and would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank AZ3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Camarillo, California
Reviewed September 10, 2007

My husband and I had a great stay, we wanted to travel to the San Diego area with our two dogs and for a nominal fee we were able to bring them along. The room and grounds were so beautiful. We took our dogs to the Dog Beach at Ocean Beach, also Fiesta Island, where the dogs can run free, it was our first experience to be around so many dogs, what fun for us and our dogs.
My daughter who lives in LaJolla came and sat with the dogs so we could go to Sheraton's Restaurant "Humphries" for our anniversary dinner , Great meal. The Sheraton will be our San Diego area Hotel for now on. Just loved our stay. Employee's were all great and personable. Can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The decor, grounds, very comfortable. Close to shopping, attractions.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NikkiIvan
Boston
Reviewed September 7, 2007

I travel frequently but never write reviews since usually find these very accurate. But to address a few points: hotel staff were extremely pleasant and helpful allowing me late check out (extended from norm 1 to 2 PM); upgraded room since SPG member though not frequent user of Sheraton; free shuttle to and from airport; large clean room with Starbuck’s coffee to brew; free strong fast internet signal in room and poolside though that might change; pool was clean and perfect temp to swim; ample towels at pool; restaurant had great atmosphere with very helpful staff and delicious well-prepared food; very convenient to shopping center (at gate thru parking lot). Next time in La Jolla would enjoy staying here again.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank mtrenax
South Orange, NJ
Reviewed July 26, 2007

For the price, this hotel is a beauty in a great location. Brand new renovation around an enchanting central courtyard, with clean, well-working rooms and easy access to major highways, shopping, restaurants, and La Jolla. Beds were comfortable and bathrooms were clean, if small.

While I recommend it, particularly for rooms under $200 a night, there are just a few things that kept this hotel from becoming one of those "definitely come there again" places.

1. Poolside ran out of towels. When asked for a towel at the front desk, was told to wait for pool to be restocked - never happened.

2. Check-in did not activate our in-room movie viewing. First had to wait thirty minutes, had to call back to figure out the issue, finally had get dressed, to take credit card back to front desk, get properly activated.

3. In general, except for front desk, staff seemed disinterested in guests, avoiding them most of the time.

Why mention these? Well, it shows that the staff just isn't well run, yet, for a major hotel (with the exception of the restaurant, which was polite and efficient). These kinds of things make me think, while I enjoyed my stay, next time I might try some place else to see if there isn't a better overall experience for the money. In other words, they did not hook me as a repeat visitor swearing off staying anywhere else when in the area (as the best hotels do).

I did not have any problems with the rooms or facilities - for me, everything about the facilities were great. That's why these little customer service issues really stood out for me. After investing so much in a major renovation, investing a little in hotel management seems worth it. Right now, it's a good bet for the price and convenience. If they can solve these customer service problems, they really would have a place worth a repeat visit.

• Liked — courtyard, plants
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
vancouver, bc
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I was suprised by this hotel. It was really nice. I used to live in San Diego, and didn't even know it was there. Lots of nice gardens, pool etc. Almost no freeway noise even though it is very close to the freeway. Great linens, towels etc. Nice new room - all of the furnishings, carpet etc were new. I was psyched because the hotel has windows you can open, however they only open a little bit (not wide enough to cool off the room). The air conditioner was very noisy, so had a hard time sleeping.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank vanmom2two
Deerfield, IL
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I feel like a TV commercial- This was not what I expected when I booked this room.
This hotel was one of 2 options we were given for a family reunion, although the rate we got through AAA or AARP was better than the group reunion rate.
We were traveling with our 3 kids so we booked a room with a king bed and sofa sleeper and were told we could put in a rollaway.
I was shocked to discover the sofa sleeper was really an oversize easy chair- no way it could fit 2 children!
We switched to a double queen room, then they told us it was against the LAW for them to put a rollaway in there! we ended up going to target and buying an airmattress that we ended up discarding at the end of the trip-
But the ultimate insult was when we went to check out- there was a charge for the rollaway of $20 per night on our bill!
and never an apology from anyone!
The halls also smelled moldy and the rooms were cramped.
No free breakfast, although at least there was a frig and coffeemaker.
I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — the pool was nice
  • Disliked — the rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank irisarbor
Greensboro,NC
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Stayed here for one day on business.

The hotel - setup like a motel with multiple 2 story buildings scattered around. The surrounding buildings were not impressive. The halls were old and the reminded me of a cheap motel. The courtyard was decent between the buildings.

The rooms - comfortable bed and clean. But a noisy refridge made it unpleasant and the bathroom is unbelievably small.

The service - only saw the front-desk clerk at checkin. Average ... not bad, not overwhelming.

For $239, even in San Diego, I would have expected more. Pass on this hotel.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business