“Really nice but loud air conditioner”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
vancouver, bc
“Really nice but loud air conditioner”
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I was suprised by this hotel. It was really nice. I used to live in San Diego, and didn't even know it was there. Lots of nice gardens, pool etc. Almost no freeway noise even though it is very close to the freeway. Great linens, towels etc. Nice new room - all of the furnishings, carpet etc were new. I was psyched because the hotel has windows you can open, however they only open a little bit (not wide enough to cool off the room). The air conditioner was very noisy, so had a hard time sleeping.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank vanmom2two

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Deerfield, IL
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I feel like a TV commercial- This was not what I expected when I booked this room.
This hotel was one of 2 options we were given for a family reunion, although the rate we got through AAA or AARP was better than the group reunion rate.
We were traveling with our 3 kids so we booked a room with a king bed and sofa sleeper and were told we could put in a rollaway.
I was shocked to discover the sofa sleeper was really an oversize easy chair- no way it could fit 2 children!
We switched to a double queen room, then they told us it was against the LAW for them to put a rollaway in there! we ended up going to target and buying an airmattress that we ended up discarding at the end of the trip-
But the ultimate insult was when we went to check out- there was a charge for the rollaway of $20 per night on our bill!
and never an apology from anyone!
The halls also smelled moldy and the rooms were cramped.
No free breakfast, although at least there was a frig and coffeemaker.
I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — the pool was nice
  • Disliked — the rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank irisarbor
Greensboro,NC
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Stayed here for one day on business.

The hotel - setup like a motel with multiple 2 story buildings scattered around. The surrounding buildings were not impressive. The halls were old and the reminded me of a cheap motel. The courtyard was decent between the buildings.

The rooms - comfortable bed and clean. But a noisy refridge made it unpleasant and the bathroom is unbelievably small.

The service - only saw the front-desk clerk at checkin. Average ... not bad, not overwhelming.

For $239, even in San Diego, I would have expected more. Pass on this hotel.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank PeterFNYNC
bttrflyknght
Reviewed July 6, 2007

My husband and I stayed four nights for our anniversary and had a lovely time. We were first worried with how close to major roads it was, but once you got on the property you felt like you were on a small piece of paradise. The grounds and gardens were beautiful, and rooms spacious and well equiped. The staff was very friendly and accomodating - our room attendant was especially good!
The only thing that I would have liked would be a separate adult pool or hot tub area. The main pool and hottub are nice, nothing fancy or extra special, but it got very crowded with kids and we didn't find it relaxing like we had hoped.
Overall a great, clean property at a very reasonable price for the location! Would definitely return!

• Liked — Large windows with lots of natural light and pretty views
  • Disliked — Pool was too crowded with kids
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bttrflyknght
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 1, 2007

We stayed at the Sheraton for 3 nights during the Spring break. There were a lot of students there who were a bit rowdy but they didn't bother us until the last night of break, when I had to wear earplugs to get to sleep.
The spa and pool were very nice to relax by. The gym wasn't anything special with a few pieces of outdated gear and no floor mats.
The highlight for us was the proximity to the Whole foods organic market. Just a short walk up the street was the most amazing source of fresh and organic food we've ever come across, at much cheaper prices than you can get it for in Australia. It was a real relief to be able to heat healthy food again after being at the Grand Canyon, Barstow and Needles!
The Rock Bottom Brewery is at the other end of the street and this is a great bar, with it's own wide choice of beers. The beach is a 10 minute drive away and, while I certainly wouldn't recommend it for surfing, the seals lolling on the sand were a great sight. The shops and park along the beach are also very nice, although the traffic is incredibly heavy. It's probably better to stay a little away from the beach, I think.

• Liked — Proximity to Whole foods market and Seaworld
  • Disliked — Gym, student noise
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank DW68
Maplewood, New Jersey
Reviewed June 26, 2007

This hotel was recently renovated, and the renovation is a home run. They took an essentially dull, 1970's style motel property and gutted it. The grounds are lush and beautiful, and even smell good (jasmine?). The public spaces have all been resurfaced and are contemporary and fresh feeling. As a Starwood Gold member, I was upgraded to a suite in the rear building, and I was really pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Modern, warm furnishings, a completely modern bathroom, a kitchenette with a microwave, a sink, cabinets and attractive granite countertops with an extension that could be a dining space for a family of 5.

The beds, as with all Starwood properties, are better than most people have at home, very comfortable. Considering that my living room view was of the I-5, there was absolutely no traffic noise, and the wood shutters and landscaping obstructed that view for the most part, anyway.

The front desk will print your airline boarding passes if you ask them too. Nice people working here. Good high-speed wireless internet (for $9.95 - Starwood should provide that for free in their hotels!).

Parking is convenient and free, and the location is great - ten minutes to downtown La Jolla and three minutes to the I-5. There is a good Whole Foods next door and a Starbucks, CPK and a Jamba Juice in the center next to that.

I hope to stay here when I return next year.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The internet fee
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank hartss
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 10, 2007

For what it is, I give it a four for being a very nice affordable family type hotel on the weekends. Don't expect the Ritz, but the grounds are pretty with fountains, goldfishes, and ponds. The kids love the pool and jacuzzi and the rooms are spacious and newly appointed. We had a nice comfortable armchair for me to feed our baby
and the sleepnumber beds are to die for. The bathrooms, however, are made for one person, no matter how small you are--I mean the door swings within an inch of the toilet seat. There is a basic gym with new equipment. The hotel gives you half off coupons to their restaurant, but they're no good for breakfast, so it's a wash. Still,
not having extremely high expectations, we were well satisfied with our brief stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family