“Right near the Whole foods market” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton La Jolla Hotel

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Sydney, Australia
“Right near the Whole foods market”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2007

We stayed at the Sheraton for 3 nights during the Spring break. There were a lot of students there who were a bit rowdy but they didn't bother us until the last night of break, when I had to wear earplugs to get to sleep.
The spa and pool were very nice to relax by. The gym wasn't anything special with a few pieces of outdated gear and no floor mats.
The highlight for us was the proximity to the Whole foods organic market. Just a short walk up the street was the most amazing source of fresh and organic food we've ever come across, at much cheaper prices than you can get it for in Australia. It was a real relief to be able to heat healthy food again after being at the Grand Canyon, Barstow and Needles!
The Rock Bottom Brewery is at the other end of the street and this is a great bar, with it's own wide choice of beers. The beach is a 10 minute drive away and, while I certainly wouldn't recommend it for surfing, the seals lolling on the sand were a great sight. The shops and park along the beach are also very nice, although the traffic is incredibly heavy. It's probably better to stay a little away from the beach, I think.

• Liked — Proximity to Whole foods market and Seaworld
  • Disliked — Gym, student noise
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank DW68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Maplewood, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2007

This hotel was recently renovated, and the renovation is a home run. They took an essentially dull, 1970's style motel property and gutted it. The grounds are lush and beautiful, and even smell good (jasmine?). The public spaces have all been resurfaced and are contemporary and fresh feeling. As a Starwood Gold member, I was upgraded to a suite in the rear building, and I was really pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Modern, warm furnishings, a completely modern bathroom, a kitchenette with a microwave, a sink, cabinets and attractive granite countertops with an extension that could be a dining space for a family of 5.

The beds, as with all Starwood properties, are better than most people have at home, very comfortable. Considering that my living room view was of the I-5, there was absolutely no traffic noise, and the wood shutters and landscaping obstructed that view for the most part, anyway.

The front desk will print your airline boarding passes if you ask them too. Nice people working here. Good high-speed wireless internet (for $9.95 - Starwood should provide that for free in their hotels!).

Parking is convenient and free, and the location is great - ten minutes to downtown La Jolla and three minutes to the I-5. There is a good Whole Foods next door and a Starbucks, CPK and a Jamba Juice in the center next to that.

I hope to stay here when I return next year.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The internet fee
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank hartss
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2007

For what it is, I give it a four for being a very nice affordable family type hotel on the weekends. Don't expect the Ritz, but the grounds are pretty with fountains, goldfishes, and ponds. The kids love the pool and jacuzzi and the rooms are spacious and newly appointed. We had a nice comfortable armchair for me to feed our baby
and the sleepnumber beds are to die for. The bathrooms, however, are made for one person, no matter how small you are--I mean the door swings within an inch of the toilet seat. There is a basic gym with new equipment. The hotel gives you half off coupons to their restaurant, but they're no good for breakfast, so it's a wash. Still,
not having extremely high expectations, we were well satisfied with our brief stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Cosmocal
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2007

We stayed the last 2 nights of our vacation here, May 29th to the 31st. I was really worried about staying here because of some of the reviews but my worries were put to rest after staying the first night. I'm not sure if they are done with the construction or not but I never heard one thing and had no problems. We had booked our reservation on the Radisson website and received a great rate of $139/night. However upon checking in they couldn't find our reservation, mind you we had prepaid. There was alot of typing and consulting with another woman and they were saying they couldn't find it and didn't know why. After about 15 minutes they said they found it in another system and wasn't sure why it hadn't transfered over. We finally received our room keys, walked into the room only to find it was a king bed and we had asked for 2 queens since their were 3 of us. We called the front desk and they did send someone down fairly quickly with new room keys for a double room just a couple of doors down. The gentleman did apologize several times for the trouble. We never had any problems after that. The bed was probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on! There was a refridgerator, microwave, and dvd player in the room. The rooms are very small though with very low ceilings. The bathroom was tiny and you absolutely cannot fit more than one person in there at one time. The grounds are very lovely, do ask for a room with a view though or you will be overlooking a parking lot. They had a nice pool, hot tub, and a koi pond. The staff was very friendly, helped us find some tide pools. It was really convienent to have a post office right next door. I was very comfortable in this room and would definitely stay here again but only if the prices stay reasonable.

• Liked — Most comfortable bed ever!
  • Disliked — Very small bathroom
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank shelma
Lower 48
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2007

We often stayed here when it was a Radison, attracted by the nice pool area and low rates (for La Jolla). Now that it has been renovated and re-badged as a Sheraton, we expected great improvements, but actually little seems to have changed beyond the signage. They are charging much more, but our room had dingy carpeting, old-looking furniture, and that "motel" smell, even though
we were supposedly upgraded to a deluxe room. In the perfect San Diego climate fresh air is better than AC, but the windows here are inexplicably blocked from opening more than a few inches - even on the second floor where security shouldn't be a problem. Refrigerators
and microwaves in the room, free wi-fi, and terry robes are nice touches. The pool area is still nice, but it is marred by laughably tiny towels and a gate that clangs loudly every time it is used. If I
were rating this facility as a motel, I would call it way above average, but given its pretensions and pricing, I cant muster any better than Neutral/average.

Stayed May 2007
4 Thank Tangible
brooklyn, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2007

I only have great things to say about this hotel. It's in a great location. 12 minute ride to the city, and a hop and a skip away from the La Jolla shoreline. Right next to the hotel is a large shopping center with Whole Foods, CVS, California Pizza Kitchen, etc. Very convenient. It's a very pleasant area.

The hotel itself is great. There is free parking, you self-park in the lot adjacent to the lobby. The grounds are beautiful--with a central courtyard full of trees, palm tress and a large pool with table service. Very well-maintained. This is a nice alternative to a city hotel and you save some money.

The rooms are quite comfortable. Mine had a couch, coffee table, large desk. The bed was great, no complaints there. Slept soundly. The rooms have recently been remodeled. While the renovations are not Four Seasons-quality (and shouldn't be expected to for $169 a night) the rooms were nice-looking, clean and well-kept. I really had no complaints whatsoever. In addition, there's an area with fridge, countertop with a microwave and coffee maker. These details make a difference.

Prior to my arrival, my sister had arranged for a gift basket to be sent to my room to surprise me. She gave them some instructions on what to get, and they did an outstanding job in pulling it all together. They actually ran out to the nearby stores to get certain items and arranged them beautifully in my room. It was really lovely. That told me that the staff really goes out of the way to make customers happy.

I had breakfast at the restaurant next to the lobby (Humphrey's I think it was?..) Very tasty.

The only thing that keeps me from giving it a 5-star review is the layout of the hotel--the actual rooms are separate from the lobby (sort of like in a motel.) It's kind of open to the outside world. However, I didn't feel any kind of security issues. Staff was always around the grounds, so I felt very safe.

I would definitely recommend this hotel as THE place to stay at when visiting San Diego. There is also an amazing museum a 5 minute drive away--Museum of Contemporary Art. It's right on the water, a must-see.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank julesbklyn
SF Bay area
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2007

Spent 2 nites there. First impression is a convenient location just off I-5, with many trees surrounding the premise, green garden and ponds in the center and pool. Unable to get early checkin due to sold-out the nite before(which is justifiable). Later returned at 3pm, prompt checkin, friendly staff, efficient, he upgraded us to a quiet room facing the garden, despite the 2nd nite was booked on points(was supposed to have the room facing the outside). Thanks.
The hotel was supposed to be heavily remodelled just couple months ago. However, we didnt have the fresh-new building feel.
The room: deluxe 1-king with a sofabed. Clean but not the fresh-new feel. The king bed/pillows/blanket are all good.
The problem is the very small bathroom. We constantly bump onto each other. With the door swinging against you and towels on the floor, it is just packed. Paint piting on the bathroom shower ceiling is also observed.
This is a good 3-star, like Hilton Garden Inn or Marriott Courtyard.
If starwood is listening, category-3 7k points for a free nite please, it's not worth a category-4 10k points. Maybe it's because of the expensive location, La Jolla. But then the downtown san diego Westin is also category-4, which I think is much nicer and more expensive location.

• Liked — bed, maybe the garden and pool
  • Disliked — small bathroom
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple