“New Sheraton is okay”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed May 20, 2007

I was a bit sketchy to stay at the hotel, given the renovation stories, but it seems like the construction is done. We stayed May 16-20, 2007 and everything went ok. Other than the fact that AmEx Travel overcharged me for the room (they booked me at $164 a night and it was really $134 a night if I had just called the hotel... AmEx jerks... don't use AmEx travel!), things were fine. I got room 300 in the older part of the hotel. I took a peak at the newer rooms in bldgs other than B and C... they were definitely nicer. If you stay here, ask for a room in the newer section. Room 300 was on the first floor and right by the exit door, which made a lot of noise opening and closing. Luckily the AC in the room made a good amount of "white noise" which drowned that out.

My 4 yr old daughter loved the pool and hot tub (they were open till 10pm) and I thought the fitness room was really good (new treadmills, elliptical, bikes with built in TVs). We didn't try the restaurant since we were always out and about. El Torito and Rock Bottom Brewery right across the street made dinner very convenient. Good location to go north to Legoland (20 mins) and south to Sea World (15 mins).

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Dave W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,432)

Reviewed April 30, 2007

I just returned from a vacation to California. I spent one night in the San Diego area at La Jolla. I was very pleased with my
stay at this hotel. The hotel is about a 5 minute drive to the
La Jolla Cove. The grounds are well manicured. The pool
area is very nice with a spa and also a putting green. We had
5 people in our room (3 kids), and asked for a roll away bed.
The staff went out of their way to accomodate us. The rollaway
would not fit into the room, but the staff moved the TV cabinet
to make room for the bed. I thought this was really going the extra mile to accomodate our request.
Some earlier posters had made comments about ongoing
construction, but it appeared that the construction was finished, at least on the part of the building that I was staying in. I was very
pleased with my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank TRosel238
Reviewed February 26, 2007

The purpose of our trip was to visit our son who is at UCSD. With that in mind, the location can not be beat. It is a less-than -two minute drive onto campus. The hotel is also very conveniently located near major shopping with restaurants and a whole foods and trader joes markets within the same distance as well (opposite directions might add). Downtown LJ is also a hop, skip and a jump away if you want a picturesque little town with galleries, gourmet restaurants and galleries... this is the place for you. The 5 which is the major artery through SD is also right there. So as you can tell we were quite satisfied with our proximity to everything.

The rooms are fine, average or above in cleanliness and the beds are comfortable. The hotel is under construction as noted by me and other reviewers however, the amenities such as the pool, spa, ping-pong area and putting green are FULLY OPERATIONAL.!!

And I have to say that the staff was the nicest, warmest group of people that I have encountered in the hotel industry in a long time, .... and I am not talking about in that over-patronizingly way tha they can be ala four seasons or ritz carlton.. More just genuinely concerned that they are meeting our needs as travellers. I am a seasoned traveller, and venture out for both business and pleasure many times a year, and in my book, that goes a long way toward building good will. Yes, the cookies are the microwavable variety but they were presented in a way that made my son really feel welcomed there upon arrival.

I did not eat on the grounds due to the abundance of choices as mentioned above, else where so I cant comment on food service etc.

Bottom Line: If you are looking for a bargain, in a wonderful location in San Diego, I would jump at the opportunity to stay here because once the renovations are completed, the price will probably double. BTW- One of the buildings is completed, and it really looks wonderful .... kind of tropical with plantation shutters etc. A glimpse of what is to come, and we plan on coming back when it is finished.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank laurajwheeler1
Reviewed February 13, 2007

We arrived here at night and got a very creepy feeling from the hotel as it is totally torn up due to construction. You have to walk through a tunnel to get to the front desk. We then were directed to drive around the building through all sorts of construction trailers and equipment only to enter the back of the hotel and find construction garbage and materials down the hall and in the elevator. No one else seemed to be staying there and before we even got to our room we turned around and checked out. Maybe in the daylight it looks better but right now it is a mess inside and out!!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank monarchtravel
Reviewed February 9, 2007

I like this place overall--it has a nice "down-to-earth" feel and the price is right. Nothing over-the-top, but the little details make it, like two nice thick robes, fair-sized rooms with good color schemes and a little living area and windows you can open for fresh air. Also have micro and fridge. My rooms have usually overlooked the courtyard which is pretty, with palms, pool, lawn and winding paths. There are some that overlook the parking lot, though. Also, yes, as others have said, there was some construction last time I stayed, but it wasn't that bad. I wear earplugs, because hotel noise isn't uncommon. Another plus is that there is a 24-hour drug store you can walk to right next door, with groceries, etc. Two stories.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank ZebbaDo
Reviewed January 14, 2007

Part of the Radisson chain, the hotel is presently undergoing a makeover and will become a Sheraton in the near future. This means various paths in the hotel are closed off and the hotel has a slightly derelict feel to it.

It is also beside Highway 5 - the main road artery between San Diego and Los Angeles.

The rooms are comfortable but a bit dark. Facilities such as the heated swimming pool, excercise room and hot tub are clean and well kept as are the gardens.

Altogether a very average experience!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank allisoniain
bubba92, manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2007

As mentioned in an earlier review the property is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation to convert to the Sheraton La Jolla Hotel. The renovation is expected to be completed by the end of March. We apologize for any inconvienvce this renovation is causing. The renovation is mentioned on all web sites and booking tools.

Reviewed December 29, 2006

My favorite in the area. Kind and accomodating staff. Really beautiful grounds -- pool, small waterfal. Just lovely. Very accessable to all local attractions. Will return!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business