“Do Not Stay Here While Under Construction!!”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed February 13, 2007

We arrived here at night and got a very creepy feeling from the hotel as it is totally torn up due to construction. You have to walk through a tunnel to get to the front desk. We then were directed to drive around the building through all sorts of construction trailers and equipment only to enter the back of the hotel and find construction garbage and materials down the hall and in the elevator. No one else seemed to be staying there and before we even got to our room we turned around and checked out. Maybe in the daylight it looks better but right now it is a mess inside and out!!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank monarchtravel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,405)

Reviewed February 9, 2007

I like this place overall--it has a nice "down-to-earth" feel and the price is right. Nothing over-the-top, but the little details make it, like two nice thick robes, fair-sized rooms with good color schemes and a little living area and windows you can open for fresh air. Also have micro and fridge. My rooms have usually overlooked the courtyard which is pretty, with palms, pool, lawn and winding paths. There are some that overlook the parking lot, though. Also, yes, as others have said, there was some construction last time I stayed, but it wasn't that bad. I wear earplugs, because hotel noise isn't uncommon. Another plus is that there is a 24-hour drug store you can walk to right next door, with groceries, etc. Two stories.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank ZebbaDo
Reviewed January 14, 2007

Part of the Radisson chain, the hotel is presently undergoing a makeover and will become a Sheraton in the near future. This means various paths in the hotel are closed off and the hotel has a slightly derelict feel to it.

It is also beside Highway 5 - the main road artery between San Diego and Los Angeles.

The rooms are comfortable but a bit dark. Facilities such as the heated swimming pool, excercise room and hot tub are clean and well kept as are the gardens.

Altogether a very average experience!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank allisoniain
bubba92, manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2007

As mentioned in an earlier review the property is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation to convert to the Sheraton La Jolla Hotel. The renovation is expected to be completed by the end of March. We apologize for any inconvienvce this renovation is causing. The renovation is mentioned on all web sites and booking tools.

Reviewed December 29, 2006

My favorite in the area. Kind and accomodating staff. Really beautiful grounds -- pool, small waterfal. Just lovely. Very accessable to all local attractions. Will return!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank mattyNyc
Reviewed November 9, 2006

I have a mixed review. The hotel does look old on the outside but the room was ok. It was not too small but also not what I'm used to in size. It was clean and nicely appointed.

The bathroom that others have said was very small is small but it seems we were put in a handicapped room or something because our bathroom is not too tiny, but the toilet is so tall your feet dangle...lol! Also very interesting, lots of gold accents, I think this is a pre-remodel? The toilets also flush really loudly, you can hear them in other rooms. Otherwise the bathroom isn't bad at all. But like I said I believe we are in a handicapped room so it has to be biggger.

The remodel. Nothing like being woke up early in the morning to sounds of a bulldozer loading chunks of dirt right outside your window! I feel that we were kind of put in the worst room. We booked way ahead of time, don't you think they could have put us somewhere else? Of course they are full now so most likely we will be stuck with the room.

The A/C is a bit louder than other hotels and it likes to go on and off no matter how we try to set the thermostat! We had to unplug it. With it on you cannot hear the television unless you keep turning it up, and with neighbors you don't want to do that.

The bed was pretty comfortable, nice heavy blankets. We were in a standard room apparently because we did not get to experience the sleep number bed, but it was comfortable.

We ate at Humphreys the hotel restaurant. The place is nice. The food is not bad. The presentation on the plates is very nice but stay away from the filet mignon, it was tough and tasted more like london broil, and like charcoal. The rest of the food was good. Service a bit slow and a little snippy, but it's still worth eating there especially if you use the 50% off coupon the hotel gives you. Thank goodness for that because they are kind of pricey. Not absorbently high, but pricey.

I would say stay here but ask for a room that does not face the parking lot. But for the expensive price there might be a nicer place, but then again it is San Diego so everything is overpriced.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank steffylew
bubba92, mamager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2006

At this time the hotel is undergoing renovation to convert to the Sheraton Hotel La Jolla in April 2007. While we are trying to accomodate all guests and not disturb their relaxtion time this is not always possible. The property is trying to have any work that is going to create major noise done between the hours of 9am - 4pm, Monday thru Friday, no work is being done on weekends. We apologize for any inconvience this has or may cause over the next couple of months.

If there are any questions on work being done please call the hotel directly.

Reviewed October 26, 2006

I stayed 5 nights in the business building (E) and it was great. The rooms were clean. I enjoyed the little things. For example, they have an early check in that you can do online. I did it and when I arrived at the front desk they handed me a packet and I was on my way in 2 seconds. They offered me free cookies which were fabulous. There was ample parking and I found the room right away. The room had a micro, fridge, coffee pot, and sink which are great for those away on business. They offered 2 packets of coffee, 2 of decaf, tea, and hot chocolate in the rooms. They also give you a free bag of pop corn every day.

They have sleep number beds though I personally like Denver Matress better. The pillows were great and they actually have an office type chair. They deliever newspapers to your door every morning that they charge you for so let them know if you do not want it (it is very inexpensive, less than a buck).

Room Service - I had a couple meals that were really good. They deliever when they say they are going to deliever and you can order breakfast the day before and specify when you want it delivered. I had a breakfast sandwich, a hamburger and fries, and a shrimp dish which was incredible (probably because of the cream).

Bathroom perks - the bathroom has mouth wash, shower cap, a bigger bottle of shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion. They also have a nice regular size hair dryer - had I known before hand I would not have lugged my own.

What is also nice is check out. They drop a receipt under your door and you simply have to call and let them know you are checking out. Fabulous! Easy! Quick!

They are close to Interstate (or Highway) 5 so it is very easy to get where you are going. They are only around 15 mins or less to Sea World which would be great for families. They are also only 15 or so minutes to the airport.

I loved how there was a brewery across the street from the hotel. You can literally walk across the street and catch a good sports game while eating some good food. TGI Friday's is also around the corner and there is a Mexican restaurant also across the street.

What I did not like was how the Internet would at times kick me off. Though it is nice to have Wireless.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank katiesftbl
Reviewed October 22, 2006

Based my choice on the favorable reviews listed on this website and was not disappointed. The hotel itself is very clean, staff very professional and attentive. Great pool hot tub and fitness center. What made our 4 day stay although was the area around the hotel. The La Jolla Village area to the south was a wealth of great restraunts, markets and interesting walks. Top marks go to Elijah’s Deli for great breakfasts and friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
Pantai Inn
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina

Been to Sheraton La Jolla Hotel? Share your experiences!