“Standard, nothing special” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Seattle, Washington
“Standard, nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a couple nights and got an upgrade which was nice. The suite is nothing spectacular, just more room. The location is not near downtown La Jolla. The location is alright though as it's next to Whole Foods and some other stores. But what is up with the pool towels?! What a joke. They are the size of a bath mat. Management needs to seriously upgrade the towels. Till then use the towels from your room.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Hello TrvlrRob,

Thank you for sending your comments about your recent stay. I am pleased that we were able to upgrade your guest room and hope that you found value in our accommodations as we strive to provide a great value for guests who want to be in proximity to the La Jolla/San Diego area attractions. We will certainly take a look into our pool towel inventory and see where we may be able to improve. Thanks again.

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

It is a nice Resort located in the heart of La Jolla ....
This is the only Starwood property in La Jolla and really enjoyed my stay here ...
PROS :
1.) Check In is smooth and staff is friendly
2.) I am a platinum SPG member and can comfortably say the room service is one of the best in this hotel.....
3.) Nice pool and ambiance...
4.) I stayed in the suite and found them to be very comfortable and clean ....

CONS :
1.) It is a big resort and they should really put up proper sign boards so that folks checking in first time do not get lost ..especially at night ( as it happened with me )...
2.) Staff is technically challenged ..I found out my TV was not working when checked in late at night ..and they only replaced it in morning ....as they were not able to fix it ...

Overall nice hotel and will stay here again is possible ....

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Hello Abhishek S,

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your compliments to your guest room and the hotel grounds as well as the staff and the dining offerings. I do apologize that there was a technical issue with your television and I am glad that a replacement was provided when the issue was not able to be repaired in the room. We hope to see you on a return visit very soon.

Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

The Sheraton La Jolla is not in La Jolla.

Let’s get this out of the way first. La Jolla Village is a planned development next to the interstate and across from the UCSD campus. It’s perfectly fine in a Potemkin way. But, if you were thinking this property is on the famed coast in real village of La Jolla - - be warned.

That said, this is a really nice place.

The hotel is a renovated 50-60ish motel-like property built around a courtyard and pool with lush vegetation. The rooms are impossibly small but a nice respite from the even more absurdly small bathrooms. (Families beware). And for some crazy reason the decorators chose a wallpaper for the hotel hallways that looks like cinder blocks as if the reinforce the date of the structure.

Wait - - you may be asking….why I like it?

The rooms have been renovated and are quite handsomely decorated with nice crisp bedding. Service is friendly and efficient and the location is great…if you are doing business in the “Lo Jolla business district” …where many large law firms, banks, accountancies etc are located. I’m a Starwood fan so this is a good choice. The owners have maximized the reto property and it works.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hello Pete312,

Thank you for sending in your comments. We certainly do try to keep the hotel in the best shape possible, so thank you for your compliments in regards to our upkeep. We hope to provide great value for guests with business in the area or who are looking for a vacation home base with easy access to San Diego attractions, so I'm glad to hear that you agree! We will look forward to your next visit.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton of La Jolla this past week for a business trip and I was pleased with the hotel and stay. They have complimentary wifi which was a huge bonus to me and considering that the previous hotel I stayed at was charging me ~12 a day. I find that to be much more reasonable considering i'm paying between 160-200 a night for a room. This hotel, logistically speaking, was much easier to get in/out of and the staff was great. I will say that the food, while decent, was not awesome and there was no breakfast included.

Overall I would definitely stay at this hotel again and will likely be doing that next time I visit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hello Trent L,

Thank you for sending your review! I am glad to hear that you had a successful stay. Thank you for your compliments to the staff and we will look forward to seeing you on a return visit.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel every week for the last 7 months, and have a couple observations - I'll start with the basics.

Check-in is easy, staff is friendly. You get a 50% off coupon to the hotel restaurant, which is actually pretty decent. Rooms are a bit dated - the word that comes to mind is "crusty". Beds are comfortable and the room is well maintained for it's age. The upgraded rooms are slightly bigger and include a couch and various amenities.

Parking is an open lot...no big deal since I'm always in a rental.

Wifi is horrendous, even the highest tier one. Skype / Facetime calls disconnect every 2-3 minutes. Some rooms have wired internet and that is much more stable. Gym is decent. No ESPNHD, that hurts sometimes.

So far, this is sounding like a 2-3 star review, right? Enter the lounge. The lounge is located in the back next to all the upgrade rooms. Extremely handy - checkout can be done from there with the lounge representative, which is extremely convenient. Lounge hours are great and include decent breakfast and decent dinner as well. The lounge staff is extremely well trained and friendly, and have addressed all of my requests quickly and enthusiastically. I barely use the front desk anymore, and all my business with the hotel is done through the lounge.

Great location if you have lounge access!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Hello chutt123,

Thank you for sending in your comments. We always love to hear from valued return guests. I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed the service and offerings in the Club Lounge. I will certainly pass along your compliments to the Club Lounge team. Currently, the hotel is undergoing renovations of our Traditional & Deluxe guest rooms and is scheduled to be complete with these improvements by the end of May. We certainly take your comments to heart and will continually make the effort to improve our offerings. See you next time!

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Wonderful place to stay. Have stayed at the Sheraton La Jolla many times, and it was always a pleasurable experience. Staff is courteous, food it good, excellent room service menu, wonderful movie choices. Thanks.

Room Tip: Unfortunately our room was right beside the maid's utility closet, and we were awakened very ear...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Hello sharonl123,

Thanks so much for your great review! We love to hear from repeat guests such as yourself. We appreciate your kind comments about the staff and the hotel offerings. Looking forward to seeing you next time!

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

All the hotel associates should learn customer service from the server, Anni Ma. She has a cheerful personality from greeting to end! I've been here all week and I'm usually the first to greet the hotel staff as I walk by them. Anni made my whole family feel welcomed at the hotel. My only regret was we meet her on our last day of our visit. I'm not saying the entire staff was not good but just average. Again the staff needs to learn from Ms Ma's customer relation skills! On the other note, I had asked the front desk clerk, Asian female, on April 17th, Thurs am for another room key and she gave us new room key without even asked for our ID! Definitely a breech of security and luckily nothing misfortunate happen. Otherwise, I have always enjoy my stay & will always come back when visiting my daughter at UCSD!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Azncwby
Hello Azncwby,

Thank you very much for sending in your comments about your recent stay. Anni is a wonderful asset to our team and I will certainly pass along your compliments to her and the Food & Beverage Director. I will also bring your comments about room security up with the Front Desk staff - we do take this very seriously and this will be a great refresher opportunity for them. We hope to see you again very soon on another visit to La Jolla!