“great stay”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Close to the 5, easy access to downtown, zoo, beaches. This hotel is clean, comfy, overall a decent place, has character. The bathroom is small. Staff very friendly. On site parking is convenient. There is nothing I hate more than folks who don't research where they are staying and then complain and admit to being cheap snobs. If you want glamor stay at the Del Coronado. This hotel is not on the beach, yes it's older, but well maintained and updated, it's age gives it charm.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Hello ShellsBells0510,

Thanks so much for sending in your review. I certainly appreciate your kind comments about the hotel and the staff. We do pride ourselves on providing a well-maintained, value option for travelers in the La Jolla area and I'm so glad to see that you agree. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip. Location was great. Not too far from San Diego, short drive to the down town. Easy drive to the Old Town where you can get the best Mexican food. Don't go elsewhere. Go to the Old Town for Mexican food. Plenty of restaurants near the hotel. Take La Jolla Village Dr west and you will see high end restaurants and shopping malls. Also, don't rely on your GPS to get onto I-805. Take La Jolla Village Dr west for 1 mile and you will run into 805. Your GPS will tell you to get onto I-5 and drive a couple of mile up or down to get onto I-805.

Hotel was very clean and felt very relaxed. Their club lounge is located all the behind the property which can be quite a walk. If you have a lounge access then ask for a room closer to the lounge. A lady working at the lounge was fantastic. She greeted everyone coming into the lounge and she was reserving restaurants, etc. She was really enjoying her work. She was doing such a good job, I was tipping her every day. :) The lounge had a basic breakfast but had really fresh fruits.

Parking is not free so be prepared to pay.

Room Tip: If you have a club lounge access, ask for a room near the club
1  Thank Samuel H
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Hello Samuel H,

Thanks for your wonderful review! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel location and our easy access to the greater San Diego area. We appreciate your compliments to the Club Lounge staff and I will certainly pass them along. Thanks again for your comments and I hope that you will stay with us again on a future visit to La Jolla!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

When you think of La Jolla, you think of pretty coastline, fancy golf courses and quaint shops. When I think back on the Sheraton there, I think of none of that.

I booked a room here for a recent business trip in the area and was shocked at how dated and motel-like this property was. If you’re old enough to recall the old Howard Johnson’s chain, this will bring back memories.

I’ve stayed at the nearby Sheraton Marina, the W and the classic US Grant, all in San Diego, and the Sheraton Carlsbad resort (highly recommended), 10 miles north, with great results, so I expected more.

Located on a busy intersection, feet from CA 5, an eight-lane highway, this 2-story compound is hidden by trees and has poor signage, so you’ll have to look hard to find the quick left up a dead end road. When you arrive, be aware that there is no valet parking. I found this out after leaving my car with the keys in it at a valet-like podium for 15 minutes. However, being basically a motel (motor-hotel, get it?), you can park your car near your room, which is an advantage if you have lots of gear.

The front desk folks were friendly and helpful, even though my room wasn’t ready ay 4 pm. They offered to hold my luggage and call me when it was clean, and they did, just 30 minutes later. They also gave me a free drink coupon for the trouble.

The local area here is congested and full of strip malls and is not conducive to a leisurely stroll but there are bars and restaurants nearby, which you’ll need because the hotel bar and restaurant is awful. It is depressing and dated and full of old folks in tracksuits and families with reunion t-shirts. I ended up getting takeout from a Vietnamese joint named Pho La Jolla that is adjacent to the hotel lot and it was fantastic.

After a long day of travel, I settled into my first floor suite (I get free upgrades) and was dismayed to find an annoying family of apparent primates above me. The kids were leaping off the beds, bouncing off of walls and screaming loudly. Experience has taught me that the best course of action in these situations is to walk up to the offending room, get the room number, and calmly call them asking them to quiet down, rather than waiting for the front desk or security. In this case, it did not work. The parent who answered the phone laughed and told me to @#% off.

Plan B- calling the front desk¬- didn’t work either. They did nothing. So I resorted to another call pretending to be the La Jolla police and threatening eviction. This worked.

While you can’t completely blame the Sheraton for the quality of the guests, you can tell something about the hotel by them. Be aware that this place may attract some lower-end folks. The checkout line in the morning bore this theory out.

Like many Sheratons that they’ve not gotten around to updating or replacing, I can’t recommend this relic. Unless you’re a cheapskate like me who always uses Starwood points to book rooms, you can do way better at other hotels in this area.

Room Tip: Try the Vietnamese restaurant called Pho La Jolla next to the hotel. Outstanding and cheap.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Hello dupedtourist,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not reach your expectations. We're happy to report that we are currently undergoing renovations to give our guest rooms a refreshed look and are scheduled to have these completed by the beginning of June. I certainly apologize for the noise disturbance you experienced during your stay. Please know that the Front Desk absolutely takes these situations seriously, and I can assure you that calls were made to the offending guest. Unfortunately in this case we even received a negative review on our independent hotel website about the multiple phone calls we made to the guest who was causing the noise disturbance. It sounds like our hotel was not the overall right fit for you, but please know that the staff truly does want to provide an enjoyable experience and I certainly apologize that we were not able to deliver this time. We wish you wonderful travels in the future.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

The Sheraton is within walking distance of the USCD campus, which is very convenient. There is a pedestrian bridge which takes you right onto campus. The Sheraton itself has a somewhat "motel-like" feel, partly because the way the buildings are (two stories only, central pool). The rooms themselves are very nice, with plantation shutters, and large rooms. Comfortable bed. WiFi is free. There is a restaurant on site, and also a bar. Within easy walking distance is also Whole Foods (grocery), coffee shops, sandwich shops etc. (about three blocks). Noisy heat/ac unit was hard to figure out.

Room Tip: I highly recommend getting a room facing the poolside; the "backside" is truly ugly and at...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Hello kyoto5301,

Thank you for sending in your comments about your recent stay. I am happy to read that the hotel was a good home base for your UCSD needs. We certainly enjoy our low-rise, resort style property and absolutely recommend our Deluxe Garden View rooms. They are normally just a $10 premium per night and showcase the beautiful grounds inside our courtyard. Thanks again for sending in your comments and I hope that we will have the opportunity to accommodate you again on a future visit to La Jolla.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

This is a great option for someone looking for an affordable hotel close to UCSD. Our room was clean, spacious and quiet. Onsite there is a workout facility and a pool as well. While breakfast wasn't included in our fare, the restaurant onsite was actually pretty good and the prices were not outrageous.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello tompdx,

Thank you for sending in your comments regarding your recent stay. I am glad to hear that the hotel served you well for your needs at nearby UCSD. Should your travels bring you back to the La Jolla area, we hope that you will return to us as well!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Stayed here again while attending a conference. Previous stay was outdated and noisy. This time we were in a renovated room in building D. The parking cost of $13 per day was different from last year but well worth the lack of traffic noise in the parking lot. The staff were very cordial and helpful. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. We had two very nice nights of sleep this time. Very glad we gave it another chance. Perfect location to UCSD as well as the La Jolla beach and attractions.

Room Tip: Ask not to be placed in building A facing the parking lot.

Hello jdshro,

Thank you for sending in another review! I'm glad to hear that the renovations are well-received and that you had a more enjoyable stay. We are happy to report that our renovations are scheduled to be 100% complete by the beginning of June. Thanks again for your new review and we hope that we will see you back for a third visit very soon.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

My husband was here for business & I joined him because, it's California in January, who doesn't want to be here! I was a bit apprehensive there wouldn't be much to do as he would have the car, I shouldn't have been worried, there is a lot to do in this area.

The hotel is about 15 minutes from the San Diego airport on highway 5. The hotel is just around the corner from the exit. You know you are close to your exit when you see the Mormon temple right beside the freeway.

There are 2 malls by the hotel with Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Ralph's so whatever your pocketbook is, you have a grocery store to match it. We had microwave and bar fridge in our room so it was extremely convenient for us. There are also a number of restaurants, pharmacies, bakeries, banks, Best Buy, Radio Shack, DSW etc within a very short walking distance. A nice perk is the hotel has a gate from their property connecting to the mall property so you don't have to walk all around the block to get there. Don't forget your room key as you will need it to get back through the gate to the hotel property. My husband said he drove by a huge mall a few blocks away for anyone that loves to shop.

The hotel itself is grouped around an interior courtyard that housed the outdoor pool and hot tub. The pool temperature was 89 degrees, the hot tub was over 100 degrees so very do-able all year round...maybe not for the locals as they seemed to think 63 was a bit cold out, but when you are used to snow outside, this was perfect! Lots of palm trees, a waterfall and pond, very pretty to walk around.

We got upgraded to a lovely king jacuzzi suite. The bedside lights are "touch" instead of turning a switch. My only complaint here is the lights didn't incorporate any type of plug for my phone or electronics to charge at night. The one side of the bed uses the outlet for the clock radio & light and the other one just used one plug for the light so my husband was able to plug his phone in. It was a king bed with very soft pillows and a comfortable bed.The closet was large and when you opened the doors, a light came on just outside the closet to illuminate everything. Lots of hangers. I didn't notice if there was a room safe or not as we didn't need to use one on this trip.

The bathroom was large and had all the amenities you would expect. We did use the make-up mirror as a night light...just a suggestion. When you are somewhere new, you are not always fully awake when you need to use the bathroom.

There are double doors that close off the bedroom to the rest of the suite. On the other side is a counter with a small sink, a microwave, bar fridge and an eating area with chairs. On this table area is a double outlet to plug in a computer etc. There was also another large screen tv, a fold out bed/couch a chair & coffee table. The big screen tv sits on a chest of drawers. We also had an outdoor patio with a sliding door and some chairs and a small table to put drinks on. It was nice having the extra space and not having to always sit on the bed to watch tv. The tv channels did not include any movie channels like HBO, Showtime etc. You could pay for movies. There is no sleep timer on the remote, which I find sad since I know all flat screen tvs have this option. The tv's were HD but since we didn't have HD channels you couldn't appreciate it as much. My other complaint about the tv's was the picture wasn't very clear, I'm not sure if this was a satellite problem but it was really bad on the lower local channels like Fox, CBS, NBC & ABC, almost not watchable.

There is lots of parking, it's $13 per day. We did not try the restaurant as we used the Club Lounge. We had breakfast, good choice of fruit, hot and cold cereal, hard boiled eggs, bagels, bread to toast, English muffins and butter, peanut butter or cream cheese. In the small fridge was yogurt. There was also a good selection of juices, milk, tea and coffee. In the evenings we had appetizers and they were good. One night we had little ribs, pasta, salad and cookies, the next evening we had meatballs, rice, salad and cookies. They also had olives etc. The small fridge there had a number of soda choices and also wine for those that drink.

We had a bit of a snag at check in (my fault) but the floor manager Angela was able to figure it all out and get everything fixed...thanks Angela!

We weren't very far from the La Jolla beach area where we watched the seals, pelicans and walked along the walkway enjoying all the sights. We also went to Coronado Island, Balboa Park and Old Town, none of them is very far from the hotel, easy to navigate and we found lots of free parking on the side streets.

We would definitely stay at this hotel again. The surrounding area is great and we felt that we were very centrally located for everything that we wanted to do. The price was great and the staff were very friendly.

1  Thank IamKWgirl
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Hello IamKWgirl,

Thanks so much for your positive review! I am glad to hear that your stay was a success and that so many of the hotel's offerings were enjoyable for you. I did want to share that we are in the process with negotiating a new contract with our cable company to provide HD service to us. We are very excited for this to happen as we know this will be a very welcome improvement. I will also certainly pass along your compliments to Angela for getting your reservation sorted out quickly so you could get to enjoying your stay! Thanks again for sending in your comments as we always appreciate hearing back from our guests and hope that we will be able to see you here again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina

Been to Sheraton La Jolla Hotel? Share your experiences!