“Alright hotel”

Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
London, United Kingdom
“Alright hotel”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The hotel is not particularly luxurious, not at least compared to the usual Sheraton. It seems to be a refurbished motel of some sort, although it has been completely redecorated to reasonable standards. Rooms are of good size, but the bathroom is rather small. Their decoration is functional and quite standard, reminiscent of business and conference hotels more than of the holiday resort it seems to pretend to be. The furniture could see some renewal; the mini-fridge in the room is quite noisy and, unless your room faces inner courtyard with the swimming pool, the noise from the nearby motorway can be quite loud. The internet wifi service is a bit awkward to set up, and as with most USA hotels these days, extremely slow unless you are willing to pay for a top-up.

Room service is fast, and people at the check in desk extremely friendly and useful. The location is convenient if you have something to do in the UCSD area; otherwise, it is quite out of the way for the main sights of La Jolla (San Diego is a few miles away). All in all, a hotel best suited for short stays than a holiday.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank A_P460
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Hello A_P460,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. I am happy to report that we are continuing our renovations to deliver a "refreshed" look to our guest rooms. I was also glad to read that the staff provided efficient and friendly service. Thanks again for sending in your comments, and I hope that your travels may bring you to our area again as we would love to have you as a return guest.

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Went to the restaurant there starving, and my new husband and I received not only an amazing meal but absolutely outstanding service, Charlie our waiter was so awesome, catered to all our needs and Robin was so friendly and made us feel so welcome! Overall best experience of staying at the Sheraton La Jolla!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Hannah C,

Thanks so much for your glowing review! I am so glad to hear that you received amazing service at our restaurant, Humphreys, and at Shooters Bar & Grill. I will certainly pass along your compliments to Charlie & Robin and we hope we will be able to see you and your husband again very soon! Congratulations!

Massachusetts
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Like many La Jolla hotels - it felt old and trapped in the 60s. The hallway looked like a dorm and teh room was in need of lots of repair including broken lights. Although quiet it looked out on a bunch of storage bins and the back of a shopping mall. Since I was not in it very much it didn't matter but I would not stay for a holiday. The pool area looked nice. The gym was only OK. You can walk to the neighboring shopping mall that has a Peet,s and Whole Food. As to the conf area - it is incredibly confusing to find the meeting rooms on multiple levels and the staff were not very helpful. Worst part is that it is not near anything - about 2 miles from the beach so why bother if you are not there on business.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Hello Abstraction,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. We certainly understand that our hotel and location may not work perfectly for everyone, however we are proud to provide easy access to the freeway for all of the great San Diego attractions as well as provide a great value in La Jolla. I am sorry to read that your guest room was not up to standard; I trust that our maintenance staff was able to quickly repair and/or replace any broken lights. On behalf of the desk staff, I certainly apologize that they were not able to accurately provide meeting room information and directions to you and we will absolutely use your comments as a refresher for providing complete and helpful service. Again, we appreciate you sending in your comments and hope your conference was a success. We wish you wonderful travels in the future.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed one night at the Sheraton La Jolla while I was visiting a patient at UCSD Medical Center. The location was really close and convenient to UCSD, so that was my deciding factor. I checked in and the front desk person was very friendly and knowledgeable. She offered me a 50% coupon to the restaurant on the property, and told me how to get to my room. I dropped my things off and went to the bar "Shooters" and the bartender was just as nice as could be. There was really great live music, also. I was able to use the coupon at the bar so I ordered a wonderful meal and had a cocktai...everything was excellent. The room was large and very clean. Really comfortable bed. Bathroom was well appointed. I have to say that I always appreciate a makeup mirror, and was happy to find one in the bathroom. Good towels, too! The property is well maintained and is also really close to a Whole Foods market, Trader Joes and other good restaurants. I found the stay to be worth every penny and I will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: I was in Building B and it was quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Hello Teresa C,

Thanks for your great review! I am happy that our property was able to fit into your stay needs. Thank you for the kind comments about the staff and the hotel offerings. I was glad to read that you enjoyed a great meal while you were with us and that you found your room comfortable and well appointed. I hope that we may have the opportunity to see you during a leisure visit in the future.

San Jose, California
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton La Jolla for just one night in Dec. The hotel is conveniently located off the highway and tucked behind a shopping plaza. The check-in process was very fast and the front desk agent was friendly. My room was on the second floor and my first thought upon entering was that the room seemed more like a motel room. I guess I shouldn't have expected the hotel to be somewhat nice just because it's a Sheraton and in La Jolla. The room was at least spacious and came with a coffee maker and free bottled water. After being in the room for a couple hours, I received a courtesy call from the front desk asking how I liked the room and if they could be of further service. This was a nice touch that I had not expected.

Overall, my stay was fine and the hotel met my basic needs. Compared to other La Jolla hotels, the rate was pretty cheap so I'd recommend this hotel to any cost-conscious travelers.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Hello LC411,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. I am happy to read that you found your guest room comfortable and the staff welcoming. We do strive to offer the best value in our area and we are glad that you came to this same conclusion. I hope that your travels will bring you to stay with us again soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton La Jolla over Christmas, 2013. This property is very different from any other Sheraton I have been too. That is not necessarily bad, but you have to know what room to ask for. The buildings are all two story, except Building E is three story. We were placed into Building E and got an upgrade to a suite, however little did we know that having a room on the first floor meant that anyone who comes into the building (and there are two entrances into each building) can be heard because the doors are so heavy and they bang loudly. Furthermore there is no sound insulation. We heard everything outside our door. All conversations...people coming in back and forth. One night at 11:30 pm the security were fixing the back door of Building E and talking as if no one was trying to sleep. Building E rooms either face the inner garden (nice) or the freeway in the back. The suites in Building E are unusual for a reason. You walk into the bedroom (specifically done for you not to hear the freeway, but you can hear everything else outside the door). The living room is behind the bedroom. I would not hesitate to stay here again, but next time my family is not staying on the first floor for sure. We will be staying on the second or third floor away from the doors and the elevators to avoid noise. We also had access to the club lounge, however unlike other club lounges, this one only has three tables and is tiny. There was definitely not enough space for guests who did have access and some ended up eating breakfast standing up or sitting on the two couches. It is my suggestion that Sheraton get a couple more tables into that lounge, even though it is tiny. The service was great though. The bed was nice and comfortable and the suite was large. The grounds were nice as well. If you are looking for luxury this is not the place for you, but if you are looking for a nice and comfortable family friendly place, then you will not be disappointed....just remember to ask for the right room.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor in any of the buildings because you will hear everything outside y...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hello Diana442013,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. I am happy that we were able to accommodate a complimentary upgrade to a Suite for your visit. I do apologize for the noise level during your stay and will certainly report this to our maintenance department for their assistance with any possible improvement on the entrance door. I am glad to read that you did experience top notch service, however, as that is very important to us. If you find yourself planning a return visit to La Jolla, please consider us, and feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to assist with booking a room on an upper floor for you and ensure your next visit is a success.

kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We have had two occasions to stay at this hotel this year and have been totally pleased with it. The rooms are well-appointed and spacious. The center is a beautiful and heavily landscaped courtyard with a pool and hot tub area that makes you feel like you are at the nicest resort. The hotel is adjacent to a couple of shopping centers with a CVS Phamacy, Whole Foods, Movie Theaters and lots of good quality, family-oriented restaurants all within short walking distance. La Jolla village is just a ten minute drive and downtown San Diego, the Zoo, the airport and all other attractions are only about 20 minutes away. All in all it's an excellent choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard or inside view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Hello Rick D,

Thanks for your great review! We love to hear from valued repeat guests such as yourself. Thank you for the kind compliments to the guest rooms and the hotel grounds. I am happy to hear that the adjacent shopping center was useful to you on your visit as well. Myself and the rest of the staff will hope to see you on your third visit soon!