“Location, Location, Location”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My family stayed here for three nights. It is in a very safe area. It is surrounded by all the conveniences you could ask for to make your stay relatively inexpensive in one of the more exclusive places in California. It is adjacent to a strip mall with CVS, Peets Coffee, Rubio's restaurant, even a pet store which pet owners would love to have around. Other strip malls are close by. With all these conveniences around, the hotel remained secluded which was nice. The pool was a good size with lots of fresh towels daily, ample lounge chairs for sunbathing. All of San Diego's attractions, including Legoland, are a few minutes away. Our room on the ground floor was roomy with very comfortable beds (2 queens) and lots of fluffy pillows. Free Starbucks coffee in the room. Mini fridge and microwave oven, WiFi. Front desk staff very welcoming and helpful, provided lots of information about the area since it was our first time in San Diego. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to my friends.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Hello Rebecca O,

Thank you for sending in your comments regarding your recent stay! I'm happy to read that your stay was a success and that you found our location convenient to the San Diego attractions and that you were able to take advantage of the shopping center next door as well. Thanks for highlighting our well-appointed guest rooms and for your compliments to the Front Desk staff. We will all hope to welcome you back on a future visit!

There are newer reviews for Sheraton La Jolla Hotel

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I'm rating this as average because there were some minor irritations that occurred during our stay.
I stayed here with my husband and infant daughter on a 4 day weekend.
Lets start with the pros:
Easy check in-the front desk was very courteous.
They explained the parking (yes it's a daily $10 charge).
The hotel is located next to a shopping center and I found it to be incredibly convenient.
Whole Foods, CVS, Peets coffee, Rubios and a handful of other restaurants.
Across the street is even more shopping (Marshalls, etc).
The hotel parking lot has a pass through door you use your card key to walk over, without having to move your car. Super convenient!!
The hotel has a very pretty courtyard-we were in room 422, and we had a fantastic view of the pool area. Noise was not an issue. We barely heard anything.
Refrigerator and microwave in room, as well as complimentary water our entire stay, and bag of popcorn our first night. (nice touch). Also starbucks coffee, complimentary, in your room. Sweet!!!
We had our one year old daughter with us, and the hotel provided a crib, not a pack and play (which is what other hotels have given us). Very nice touch.
Good tv and reception with a lot of channels.
Free wifi, though there is an "enhanced wifi" offered at an extra charge; no clue what that means. Signing onto the free wifi could be annoying. We had to keep finding the sign on page daily to renew our login. It was slow.
Pool area and spa were great. Plenty of towels for the pool and very clean. I saw them hosing down the deck every single morning.
Concierge was helpful with beach suggestions and giving us coupons for the zoo.

Here are the cons, though I'll call them minor irritations.
The bathroom is small-if it was just the two of us, this wouldn't bea big deal, but trying to bathe a child in here was cumbersome. I had to literally bathe with her because I couldn't figure a way to sit in there properly.
Housekeeping was very inconsistent; I don't mean that the room was dirty-so lets get past that.
Everything was very clean-however, things were overlooked.
1.There was a belt next to the couch. It wasn't mine, and it sat there the entire stay, which tells me housekeeping is not making a thorough cleaning.
2.There were 3 of us-I had to call daily for towels because we were only given 2 bath towels at a time. Sometimes we got wash clothes, other times, we didn't.
It was like towels were a premium-one night, we called twice, and NEVER got the extra towels. It was incredibly irritating. I shouldn't have to beg for towels. This is something so basic to a hotel stay that it frustrated me. We had to share towels for most of our stay. Not cool.
Our ice bucket was never emptied. We got ice our first night, and the bag was never replaced. Again, this is pretty standard practice; Never happened.
Coffee extras like sweetener and creamer-sometimes we got only 1 packet. It should be standard to include these extras next to your in room coffee. I shouldn't have to call multiple times for coffee creamer/stirrers.
The popcorn bowl sat there dirty for 2 days-again, I shouldn't have to point that out.
When we checked in, they assured us extra sheets and towels were in the room-um, no.
No extra sheets or towels, EVER.
Luckily I packed my own blanket for my daughter for the crib.
The AC unit is SUPER loud. It jarred me awake every night.
Overall we enjoyed our stay-but I may look into other hotels the next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Request a courtyard view-the other rooms have a view of the parking lot. $10 nightly parking.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank njgirl05
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Hello njgirl05,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. I was glad to read that you had a smooth check-in process and enjoyed the hotel grounds and our convenient access to the adjacent shopping center. I do apologize for the issues with housekeeping during your stay. It sounds like we definitely dropped the ball in this case and it is certainly not the caliber of service that we strive to provide. Rest assured that your comments have been passed along to our Housekeeping Manager so that she may coach her staff and get it right for next time. Thanks again for sending in your comments and please know that I'd be happy to personally assist with booking a return visit for you to ensure that we show you the very best of the Sheraton La Jolla.

kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com

Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I wanted to go to the beach and also have some creature comforts like microwave, refrig, etc. The room was spacious and quiet even though just off the freeway. The 50 foot sparkling pool was comfortably warm and great for swimming laps. The clothesline in the shower was helpful for hanging up our wet suits since we didn't have one of the rooms with a balcony. Service was great for repairing the clothesline that didn't work at first. I enjoyed the bonus of having a free yummy breakfast at their restaurant in exchange for participating in their Green program. We refuse housekeeping because we don't need new towels every day and prefer not to have the intrusion so it worked out great for us. We didn't have any issues using their free internet service. The decor looked fairly new and well kept. The chair was comfortable. The location was only minutes from downtown La Jolla and the beach. We took advantage of the many shops and restaurants just around the corner including the post office hidden in the back. The gal at the lobby was kind enough to quickly loan us a card so we could exit. Nice touch providing guests with robes that we could wear to the pool and back. We would stay there again and felt that it was good value.

Room Tip: Be sure to hold onto your room card when you're leaving so that you can exit the parking lot and...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Hello superwoman902,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay! I was pleased to read all of your compliments to the property and the staff and am glad that the hotel's close proximity to the adjacent shopping center served you well during your visit. I hope that it won't be long before we are able to welcome you back!

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel while attending a wedding in Del Mar. This hotel gets some bad reviews online, so I was fairly skeptical before checking in. After staying the night, I have to say I think the reviews are wrong. This place has a certain charm to it - not a high rise hotel, rooms are scattered across the property in 2 and 3 floor buildings that give off the feeling of being in a cool roadside motel (not a ratty one). Once inside the rooms...standard Sheraton amenities plus some extra features, including balconies / patios in every room. Rooms were large - mine was probably 500 square feet. The one knock on this hotel is location...while its mailing address may be La Jolla, it is not La Jolla - the hotel is located next to the freeway a good 10-15 minutes from downtown La Jolla and the beach. Nonetheless - a nice place to stay and I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013

Hello Jzemon,

Thanks so much for your review! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the property layout and found your guest room comfortable and well-appointed. I'm glad that the hotel served you well for your visit and we hope that we may have the opportunity to see you again in the future!

Revenue Manager

It is important to note that the only rooms with patios are the Club Floor rooms, just so as to not mislead any other readers out there who may have booked a different room type.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is the first time I stay at a Sheraton Hotel. In general, it is a good hotel with excellent service. More so, there are a few amenities on site for your enjoyment, such as a gym and a swimming pool and restaurants for dining within the hotel. The hotel sits right next to freeway and is close to local attractions such as La Jolla Cove, Mount Soledad, and etc. The service lives up to its name and class. The staffs were very helpful and responded to our needs immediately.
There are no complimentary breakfasts and the hotel parking is $10 per night with in/out access for the days that you paid for. One down side is that the parking gets filled up if you get back to the hotel late, so you'd have to park farther. Street parking is limited since the hotel is located at the end of the street (Holiday Court). The hallway, its walls and, its carpet give an impression of a dormitory, so it was rather a let down. However, the cleanliness and setting in the room create such a contrast that is not pleasant to the eyes whenever I stepped into the hallway from my room or returning from outside.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Hello CKC206,

Thank you for taking the time to send your comments regarding your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that the staff took great care of you and that you found our location convenient for your stay. I do appreciate your comments about the hallways; while our efforts are currently focused on finishing renovations to our guestrooms first, we hope that we will be able to give a facelift to the hallways in the future. In the meantime, I am happy that you found your guest room clean, comfortable, and well-appointed as this is what we strive to offer to all of our guests. We hope to see you on a future visit.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Booked my stay online and was very satisfied with facilities. Quiet and clean and comfortable in the center of where we wanted to be.
We stayed in one of the outer buildings and it was simply for sleeping after a long day. The room was quiet, clean and the air conditioning was almost silent.
What more can you ask for a Sheraton.
I would return

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Hello djstone,

Thank you for your review! I'm so glad to hear that the Sheraton La Jolla was a great base for your La Jolla visit. We hope to see you next time!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I just recently hosted a meeting for 50 people from all over the U.S. at this property, which is in a lovely, secluded and quiet location, despite its proximity to the freeway. The grounds are lovely and the rooms are clean, spacious and inviting. Staff is friendly and accommodating and made my entire group feel very welcome. The food from the catering department, restaurant and room service was all outstanding. There is a small shopping center within easy walking distance and several restaurants for those guests who didn't have a car but wanted to venture out. Bus ervice to a larger mall is only a few block's walk. The meeting went off exceptionally well and I would use this property again if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mizill
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Hello mizill,

Thank you for such a great review! I am so happy that we were able to serve your group and that everyone enjoyed their stay. Thank you for the compliments to the Catering Department and the rest of the staff; I will certainly pass them along. I hope that we will have the opportunity to see you during another session or perhaps on a vacation trip next time!

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites
San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina

Been to Sheraton La Jolla Hotel? Share your experiences!