“Peaceful, outdoorsy, nice people”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
San Francisco
“Peaceful, outdoorsy, nice people”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I've been going to the Sheraton when on business in SD for about 5 years. I must have been here something like 30 times by now. This hotel is great if you're not looking for a high rise (I also stay in the Hyatt across the street, which is great but I really don't want to be in A/C when I'm in SD). I have stayed in many hotels in SD and this is the hotel I pick if I decide to stick around the weekend after work and hang out at the pool and read a book.

Reasons I like this hotel:

Easy parking and entry to your room (courtyard format so you can park near your area). It has about 5-6 two story buildings in a courtyard format, around a garden and pool. There is a little koi pond and mini waterfall and the interior is really green. It's a really refreshing change to walk around outside after being boxed up in cubicles and business hotels all week.

There is a club lounge if you have status with Starwood, it has free wine and beer and pretty good hot food.

Very close to shopping and restaurants, very close to UCSD. The back gate of this hotel has a door where you can walk directly into the shopping plaza next door, which has a Whole Foods, CVS, Peets Coffee, a movie theatre and a bunch of stuff).

Rooms: Always clean. Windows will open a little if you don't want A/C. King bed rooms have a loveseat that pulls out into a single bed (for the kid if you got one :) Microwaves and refrigerators in the rooms so I can get things at Whole Foods and eat healthy while I'm here. If you get upgraded to the club rooms they have a living room, were recently remodeled (have not been in one lately so can't compare to what they used to be like).

This weekend was completely sold out due to a water polo tournament. I only had a reservation till Thursday before last minute I decided wanted to stay around and enjoy the nice weather for the weekend. The front staff was EXCELLENT in helping me out - Craig, who I think is a GM, and Cari at the front desk managed to get me one of the last rooms available over the weekend so I wouldn't have to go stay in the Marriott down the street (nothing wrong with the Marriott, I just prefer SPG or Hyatts). This is the reason I keep coming back and I really appreciate it. Thanks!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank CYang321
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hello CYang321,

Thank you very much for sending such a great review! I am happy to hear from a returning guest such as yourself and am so glad that you have had enjoyable stays. We are definitely getting into our busy season and we certainly hope to continue to see you. If you need assistance with reservations over any upcoming dates I am happy to help. Thanks again!

kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 3, 2013

A THANK YOU…...For the manager of the Sheraton La Jolla,

I am not sure at this point whether I sent my feelings about the Rehearsal Dinner that we had in your California Room on February 15, 2013. It was especially convenient as the rehearsal for the wedding was at Torrey Pines Christian Church in La Jolla….a big beautiful church about 5 minutes away. It was also convenient as many of the guests were staying at our home in University City.

The food was exceptional and we loved the openness of the room looking outside on two sides into the garden! Felix took such good care of us all…..from adults to four children. He was patient and warm and so helpful.

We were also pleased that the wine was wonderful though we were not paying for a very expensive one.

The Catering Manager, Tracee Williams, was so patient and helpful with wonderful humor. I appreciated her suggestions and I felt I had known her for years.

Again, forgive me for not writing this comment sooner. We will certainly use your facility when next we have a function.
Diane and Maynard

Room Tip: Well, this was a Rehearsal Dinner but the room was lovely, looking out at the extensive gardens of t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello Diane & Maynard,

Thank you so much for your great review! I am very happy to hear that the rehearsal dinner was a success! I will certainly pass along your wonderful compliments to Tracee so that she can share them with Felix and the rest of her banquet staff. We look forward to working with you on a future event!

Arroyo Grande, California
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Best Hostess ever was Katherine.

We were at the Sheraton on April 26 and 27. We were guests of our daughter and son-in-law who are members of the hotel club. Therefore we were able to use the club room for breakfast.

We were there both mornings and Katherine was the hostess. We were with our grandchildren and she was not only efficient but was so kind to both the children and my husband and I. I would have to say that she treated us like "family".

Mike and Colleen

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hello Mike D,

Thank you for your great review! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Katherine took such great care of you. We will certainly pass along your compliments to her and hope that you will be able to return to see us again!

Merced, California
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Our rooms at check-in were perfect in every way!

We had two adjoining rooms. Bedding was perfectly clean and so comfortable! I'm seriously fussy about bedding and had brought my own in case I wasn't happy. I was more than happy!

We called the front desk each morning to say that we didn't need anything except fresh towels and trash picked up. Our kids in the adjoining room were participating in the program to save resources by declining cleaning. On the 3rd day, we recieved a notice saying that when participating in that program, it was necessary to have housekeeping on the 4th day. We were out all day and came back to the hotel late. It was clear that housekeeping had changed our bedding. Instead of a neat tidy room with perfectly made beds and spotless bedding, we now had beds made with sheets covered in lint. The comforter cover had been changed, but had a broken zipper and the comforter was upside down with the zipper at the top instead of the bottom. The mattress pad was placed only halfway up on the mattress and was rumpled. The beds looked sloppy. Since this was the first full housekeeping we'd had in four days, we expected that things would be restocked, but we were wrong. We would have liked cups, water bottles and tissue, but we didn't get it. Oddly, even though we had been notified that our second room had to be cleaned on the 4th day, it hadn't been touched. I called the front desk and had them bring all new bedding up and I changed the beds myself. The night staff was very helpful and did bring, cups, towels, tissue and water.

The room itself was very nice. The decor was attractive. The view out the window to the center courtyard with the waterfall was spectacular!

Pool was very nice with lots of chairs, lounges, and tables. Hot tub was wonderful next to the waterfall and the expansive gardens were amazing in every way!

We were extremely disappointed with Humphreys, the hotel restaurant. We ate breakfast there twice. The atmosphere was nice, but the food was entirely bland and service was very inadequate. We chose to eat elsewhere for our other meals.

We would consider staying here again, but only if I couldn't find something with as nice of rooms and outdoor landscaping, but with better housekeeping. Honestly, we think that we just got a lazy housekeeper on the fourth day. It didn't make sense that the room could be so perfect upon arrival and so badly put together when the housekeeper came on the fourth day.

• Stayed April 2013
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello PackUpTheFamily&Go,

Thank you for taking the time to send your comments regarding your recent stay. I was happy to read that you found the guest rooms comfortable and enjoyed our resort-style property. Please accept our apologies for the breakdown in communication with the Housekeeping Department in regards to your service requests and for the subpar service you received at the end of your stay. This is certainly not representative of the level of service that we strive to provide and your comments will be addressed with the staff as a learning opportunity. I was also sorry to read that you did not enjoy your dining experiences in our restaurant, Humphreys. Your comments will also be shared with our Humphrey's team so that we can continue to improve our offerings. We hope that you will decide to give us another try when coming to La Jolla again; feel free to reach out to me directly and I will be happy to book your reservations and relay your preferences to the appropriate departments to ensure your return visit is a successful one!

Oceanside, California
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I enjoy Sheratons because I always find that I sleep well on their beds. The Sheraton La Jolla was no exception. My room in general was quite comfortable; I loved the view of the pool and surrounding grounds. The landscaping outside was really well done and very pleasant to look at.

In the room itself, I really liked the window treatments. They weren't curtains or drop-down shades; instead, they were beautiful slotted wood coverings with a bar in the center that you just move up and down to open or close. I've never seen this before in a hotel, so I appreciate the uniqueness of the look. The bathroom and coffee area had nice granite countertops. There were also free bottles of water in the room, which are really refreshing when you're just getting in from an evening flight or a long day of meetings.

I enjoyed breakfast at Humphrey's Grill the one morning I was there. I found the menu to be pretty comprehensive with respect to breakfast options. As a vegetarian, I'm always concerned that restaurants won't have sufficient variety for me to choose from, but I didn't think that was the case here. I did not go back to Humphrey's for dinner during this trip, but I would like to the next time I'm in La Jolla.

I've only visited San Diego a couple of times and each time I return, I forget how difficult parking can be in some places. Thankfully, this hotel has its own lot; guests pay $10/day to park in the lot. There is also street parking, but good luck finding a spot. I drove in and out of the hotel at various times of the day and never saw one open space on the street.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the pool; otherwise, you'll be looking at the parking lot
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello Bijoucache,

Thank you for your great review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. I was happy to read that you found your guest room comfortable and well appointed and glad to hear that our Vegetarian menu options are being well received. I hope that we will be able to see you again when you find yourself in La Jolla!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Wonderful hotel, nice rooms which were very quiet. Restaurant food was above average for hotel food. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. I slept very well in a very comfortable bed. No issues with the friendly staff. I found the hotel pleasant and relaxing even if it was a business trip . Lots of nearby shopping and dinning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Hello ale722,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am so happy to hear that we could make a business trip a bit more enjoyable for you. We hope to see you again when you find yourself in La Jolla!

Novato, California, United States
Reviewed April 12, 2013

we just got back from la jolla our room was small and the bathroom was very small. also the view from our room was the parking lot and also backed to a shaping center you can hear the delivery truck at 5 am that was noisy. the made never stocked the room with right amount of towels so I had to ask her every day for towels, and towelt paper,

Room Tip: stay in building A or B.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ghassan E
Hello Ghassan E,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay. I do apologize that you did not find your guest room completely comfortable during your visit. I would be happy to personally assist with a future reservation to ensure that we choose the perfect room for you and ensure that the correct number of guests are noted so Housekeeping will be able to bring the correct supplies to your guest room. We do offer larger rooms with larger bathrooms in our Executive Building and also feature options with Garden Views. We will look forward to the opportunity to see you on a return visit.