“Good value!”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Went to this hotel for an overnight stay. We picked it because it was a Sheraton. But don't expect fancy smancy. The place is very dated. The room we stayed in was small and very dated...BUT it was really really clean and the bed was wonderful! The addition of plantation shutters instead of drapes helped with that clean feeling. Starbucks coffee in the room, fridge and microwave were in good condition and clean! From check in to check out, we were treated with respect, courtesy and professionalism. I loved having the phone answered.."How way we may assist the "insert name here" party today?" We didn't get to use the pool or jacuzzi, but it looked wonderful and clean. We did however get to the "Shooters" lounge for a light dinner and some awesome entertainment. Food was not so great, (Try the restaurant or one close by) but the bartender Scott was really great, the people were friendly and watching these "over-40's" people do Karaoke was a hoot. Forget American Idol, here is where you will find some real talent! We had a blast that evening. Oh there is an adjacent mini mall, where you can walk to a few restaurants (BJ's, TGIF plus a couple fast fooders,) Sprinkles cupcakes-mmmmmmm, CVS drug and a few other stores. If you want a hoity toity room to impress, or you're planning to stay all day indoors, or you want spa and facials and puppy parlors, or you want to celebrity watch...this is not the place for you. BUT, If you need a safe, clean, well run place to sleep while you are in the area....and have a propensity for Karaoke... I DO recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room away from the freeway!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 3, 2011

Started with a very nice and helpful check-in. I was very pleased with the room and the lush grounds. They did a nice job building this hotel into the space and have maintained it perfectly. The pool is nice (the pool towels are sad).
This is a very convenient place to stay - and the grounds are so lovely you forget that you are right off the freeway!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Our son and his wife are building a home in SD and we were down to help with some design/construction/decor decisions. My wife and I have done many homes in forty plus years together .
The La Jolla location and the Starwood connection made the choice of this property a simple convenient option. The accommodations, amenities and staff were what we have come to expect from Starwood -- from our greeting from Jeseph (not mispelled) at checkin, Maria's attention to our room, room service, our server in the restaurant for our one breakfast meal at the hotel and finally Mr. Wheatstone at checkout -- all made us feel at home and at ease. My only complaint...not enough "down time" at the hotel...maybe next time. And there will be a next time for the La Jolla Sheraton!

Room Tip: Rm 1104 had view of grounds, Koi pond, and quiet..
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2011

The service was excellent, starting at the front desk where I was upgraded to a small suite that I used for a business meeting during my stay. The room had a small fridge and microwave and some dishes and silverware, but alas, no cork screw or wine glasses. The club was open only for breakfast (no evening service) and didn't open until 7 AM. It would have been more convenient to open earlier for business travelers that needed to get an early start. Also, the club would have been nice to at least have soft drinks and coffee available throughout the day.

The location is great, near the highway and within walking distance of a shopping center. Self-parking is reasonably priced and convenient. The rooms were very small, even the suite I was in, and a bit tired. The shower head was weak but there was plenty of hot water. There were printer problems in the lobby's computer, but the front desk person let us use hers to print our boarding passes. The bar had live entertainment but definitely drew a much older crowd than we would have preferred.

Overall, not a bad short stay. The best thing to be said was that the serive was excellent; all of the staff persons were friendly and helpful. For a longer stay I might have looked for a different hotel.

Room Tip: Starwood status? Ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I have stayed at this Sheraton at least 6 other times and am a Starwood Preferred Customer. I have enjoyed all the other rooms that I've stayed in but this time I was very unsatisfied! the room was on the first floor right near the outside door. a large tree blocked the window so it was dark and smelled musty. Also, there was a large party of wedding guests and they were going in and out of the door next to our room all hours of the night. I think that this room should cost less than the other rooms at the hotel. The next time I stay in La Jolla if I can't get an upstairs room I will probably stay in another hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2011

Hello Lauriemcdmcm,

Thank you for sending your comments about your recent stay. I do apologize that your most recent room was not as enjoyable as the accommodations you have had in the past. I would be happy to personally assist with any future reservations you may have to ensure that your room is on the second floor away from entrance noise. I hope that we will have the opportunity to see you on a future stay and delight you with a fantastic room! Thank you again for submitting your comments, and I hope we will continue to have you as a valued repeat guest.

Kate Ruskofsky
Revenue Manager

Reviewed May 25, 2011

Normal business trip, normal online booking tool picks a hotel. When I arrived at the customer site, I see this Sheraton and decide to see if they have any rooms. I am Platinum member with SPG so I wanted to see if they would help me out.

Did they ever exceed my expectations. The staff was just super. So friendly, patient and kind. Really went out of their way to make me feel welcome, and make the call to the other Sheraton, change my reservation, and book me into this hotel.

The service was hands down excellent. So good in fact that I am back now a week later at the same hotel. It's a bonus when they remember you, and once again treat you like a 5 star guest!

Slept great. Parked the rent car for 3 days. Walked to work/customer site each day, walked to dinner (many great choices just around the block).

Room Tip: Loyalty to SPG gets you great room upgrades.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2011

The hotel is located in a great location right off the highway, I was worried about the noise from highway, until I got into the room and could hear nothing!

This gives the hotel easy access to the UTC Mall as well as downtown La Jolla, without paying for it.

Not only that, while on the property, I forgot the highway was there due to the great landscaping and layout of the hotel. It also gave it more of a spa feel.

The bar/restaurant had great food and while the staff was light hearted and relaxed with great service.

The pool area was secluded and relaxing, with a larger than your average jacuzzi, so 10 people fit comfortably

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly and ask about specials
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JetSettingKing
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2011

Hello JetSettingKing,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Sheraton La Jolla! I am so happy that you were able to stay with us, and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time here. We are happy to provide our guests with the best of both worlds; easy access to the San Diego area attractions with the feel of a secluded resort - so thank you for highlighting this! I'm glad that you enjoyed our restaurant, Humphreys, and our Shooters Bar & Grill during your stay as well, they really do offer fantastic dining options and wonderful service. Thank you again for staying with us, and I hope that we will be able to accommodate you on a future stay.

Kate Ruskofsky

La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina

Been to Sheraton La Jolla Hotel? Share your experiences!