“Pink lady”
Review of La Valencia Hotel

La Valencia Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed July 25, 2013

To be honest , thought rooms were a bit small to what we are used to , and no bath ?
Hotel was being refurbished , but I honestly couldn't tell if our room had been or not , and supposedly we had an upgrade ?
Staff were excellent
Overall a bit pricey and we ate out so can't comment on food .
Perhaps I'm spoiled and have been to a lot prettier location than la Jolla .

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank vincent w
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear UK Guest,
Thank you for staying at La Valencia, we do appreciate your business. Please allow me to point out that not all 112 rooms at the Pink Lady are the same and it sounds like you booked a traditional/vintage room in the tower wing. These are about 250-300 sq. ft. and offer great ocean views from the floor plans with 9 ft ceilings – the bathrooms were all remodeled for more efficiency with standing glass shower and 2 shower heads. La V also offers a selection of larger premium rooms, suites and villas with a wide range of prices and these room types also have additional bathroom types and options. La Jolla has many beautiful spots however I can’t agree with you – there is none prettier than ours overlooking Scripps Park, the La Jolla Cove and the sweeping Pacific coastline!
Best regards,

There are newer reviews for La Valencia Hotel

Reviewed July 23, 2013

La Valencia is wonderfully located within walking distance of everything in La Jolla Village area - lots of shops and restaurants, and, of course the water. The hotel was undergoing renovations while we were there, but the noise was not overly disturbing. Our ocean facing suite was spacious and comfortable, but not yet updated. Evening turn-down service was a nice surprise. We enjoyed poolside cocktails and food - Kevin and the other guys who work that area are great. The lobby bar was comfortable and nightly live music was nice. The entire staff at La V were incredibly polite and very friendly. We'll be back!

1  Thank KDDK2

Dear Phoenix Guest,
Many thanks for your compliments on our entire staff – being friendly and polite is our number one goal. I am pleased that your stay was enjoyable and happy that the work at our front entrance was not an intrusion; we’re almost finished! When the weather heats up in Arizona, La V is only hours away!
Cheers,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

La Valencia was an awesome experience. We stayed in a villa, which was amazing. The room was updated and very nice, and extremely comfortable! We spent a lot of time by the pool, where the guys who were working in the cabana were awesome and had great service bringing drinks and food. As far as eating at the hotel - We ate lunch there poolside and it was great food, and we had cocktails each night in the bar before we went out for dinner. There was live music each night and a great view of the sunset from the terrace. The hotel is in a great location to walk most places for dinner at night as well. The valets and the bellman was super fast too. The rooms were cleaned up each night, and despite some construction at the hotel, we still had a GREAT experience. Stay at La Valencia!!

Room Tip: I would request an ocean view or a villa - they are quieter and larger. The other rooms have a view...

Dear Houston Guest –
I am thrilled that La V was a hit and delighted to know that our villas made your stay exceptional. With only 112 rooms we do offer a wide variety of accommodation sizes, styles and prices and the villas are by far the most private and exclusive. Thank you also for the great compliments on the pool team and their services and the thumbs up on our friendly bell staff and efficient housekeeping team; our group genuinely loves what they do and I am glad it showed during your stay – I hope this means you will be back soon!
Ciao –

Reviewed July 16, 2013

When I arrived at the hotel, the valet was efficient, and the porter was friendly. However I was disappointed when I walked into the lobby, there were two people at the front desk and one person standing to the right of the desk, but there was no greeting from anyone. I experienced the same many times as I walked into the lobby during my stay. While many staff were friendly and helpful when we asked them for specific assistance, the general reception it is not very welcoming.

Rooms: Beds were very comfortable. Cable tv selection was impressive.
Internet was weak in many areas of our rooms. Shower design could be improved to prevent water splashing onto bathroom area floor.

Valet staff were friendly but when asking valet for my car, I was asked numerous times during my week long stay if I was checking out. Suggestion would be to stop asking or to have some system of knowing of guest check out day.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Important Guest –
I greatly appreciate your comment that many of our staff were friendly and helpful but I am so sorry your first impression was not a grand slam at the reception area – this is not the La V expectation. Ensuring that our guests feel welcome and at home is vitally important to us so we will work harder. Thank you for the constructive feedback – we do appreciate the honesty and hope that you will consider a return.
Best regards,

Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here on our wedding night after a wedding at Cuvier Park followed by a reception at Steakhouse at Azul. The location was perfect for us as it allowed me to check into the room to get ready for the wedding, and all the events of the evening were all within a half mile.

We stayed in Villa 12, which has a stunning ocean front view. There are a lot of stairs to get to the villas and even though there is an elevator, I'm not sure each room is handicap accessible. The staff was wonderful about bringing our bags to us because I would not have been able to haul all my stuff up and down the stairs. In fact, all the staff we met were absolutely wonderful. Even before checking in, they knew we had our wedding that day and allowed us to check in early so we could get ready.

Overall, the room was very nice. A super comfortable bed, awesome steam shower with dual shower heads, seperate enclosed room for the toilet, and a nice-sized jacuzzi tub. The room had a nice bar area, and a patio that overlooks the park and ocean across the street. We had a few, minor issues including the jacuzzi tub drained slowly while still in it and a fireplace that didn't work. However, we only stayed one night and did not bring it to the attention of the staff until we checked out, more as an FYI. It was nothing that detracted from our stay.

1  Thank Amy E
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Honeymoon Guests –

Congratulations and thank you for resting your heads at La V on your wedding day – we deliver enchantment! I am happy to know that you took advantage of one of our private and spacious Villas. The fireplaces have an electric starter which can be tricky; I am sorry it did not light however our staff would have readily made fire!

You are correct, not all our Villas are ADA accessible however we do have several ADA room types throughout the property including one of our Villas and can easily make special reservations.

See you soon –

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a major academic conference of over 80 professors and experts and all parts of the hotel staff, especially the events organizers, but, I also include reservations, front desk, cleaning staff, food staff, bell staff, everyone was totally professional and also personally nice and always helpful and responsive and organized. It was all done flawlessly and perfectly and any minor issues were quickly and flexibly solved.This is a great venue for a large event, efficient and inspiring. We will definitely go back again. Every individual guest, couple, and family gave me strongly positive feedback on their experience, these are 80 positives so it made a deep impression on me as the organizer.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Academic Planner of 80 –

WOW and thank you! We are thrilled to know that La V met and beat your expectations and love the thumbs up from 80 professors. Our role is to ensure that your needs as the planner are carried out and to proactively anticipate the needs of your guests. I am grateful for the extra compliments on our many departments all of whom work together for the ultimate goal; success.

La V hopes to see your conference return on an annual basis – I’ll ensure some great signature La Jolla weather; year round average temperature of 72 make that easy!

Cheers,

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Three years ago, we spplit our time in DelMar/LaJolla between the Grand Del Mar and La Valencia. It was seemless, three days in a world class resort and three days at La V; the best of the new, combined with the best of the old. It was great. This year, we scheduled the same trip. Grand Del Mar, as per my separate review, was fantastic, in every way. La V ... not so much. In fact, I doubt we'll stay there again which is tough for us to admit; this is the kind of hotel that we WANT to love. Starting out with a strength, the staff, to a person, was exceptionally nice. That said, what they are now dealing with is less than stellar, the room and halls were musty ("all I smell is some BBQ" was what we were told. Please), the lighting in our bathroom pretty awful (my wife had to open the bathroom window to get light, then to stand in front of her vanity, she had to shut the door, then obscuring the light ...ugh); the wi-fi service was terrible to non-existent ... one night we wanted to stay in and order a movie ... but there is no pay per view service ("it's coming" ... seriously?) ... so we switched to our iPad's but we fell asleep after trying to download it for about an hour ... Ugh ... again. We ordered room service ... a caesar salad and hummus and tziziki plate ... sigh. I'm sorry, after coming fromt he GDM where we had hummus that was so good that we wanted to ask for the recipe so we could make it for ourselves - every night - it was that good - this seemed similar to the hummus out of the tapas snack box that we got ont eh plane home (think plastic container, squeezeable). And caesar salad? It was so bland and tasteless ... I was shocked. Finally, to add insult to injury, with our room right about the lobby, the construction was so incredibly loud this past Monday - they must have been told to stay away the week of the 4th ... they came back with a vengeance on 7/8 making our last morning there ... forgettable. Sorry ... this should be a great hotel but ... it is not. At least not now.

Dear DC Guest –

I am terribly sorry that your return to La V over the July 4th holiday was not as expected. I do appreciate the comments on our staffs bench strength personalities; thank you – the team is very service driven to make our guest experiences positive.
The July 4th holiday weekend at La V includes some significant “ambiance” created by the surrounding La Jolla annual events. As you likely noted, locals begin camping at Scripps Park in front of the hotel starting on July 3rd and swell to almost 10,000 by the 4th for the fireworks display. The smell of BBQ is extremely accurate as hundreds of BBQ’s and cookers were on heavy duty volume for almost 48 hours – trade winds blow in our direction and we cannot avoid the fallout - I can assure that there is no mildew at La V.
Earlier this year La V up-graded to HD TV increasing our channel count from last year when you were here from 21 channels to 59 including HBO. We had also planned to include LodgeNet during the upgrade for on demand movies however this industry hotel vendor filed for bankruptcy so we are awaiting other options from our cable carrier. Your connectivity issues with WiFi is surprising and I would be interested to know if you contacted our WiFi “get connected” help desk – occasional connection issues are generally quickly resolved with this service.
I have not tasted the hummus at the GDM and would expect it to be exception. Our Mediterranean Room appetizer Med Spreads have been on our menu for years and well received.
My apologies for the noise on Monday morning, the crew which was intentionally not scheduled from 7/2-7/8 is finishing the front entry patio tile work.
Your comments and feedback are genuinely appreciated; in many ways we hit home runs but occasionally strike out as in your case – we hope to someday regain your business and loyalty.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!