“Hotel in good location” 3 of 5 bubbles

La Valencia Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
“Hotel in good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

When I arrived at the hotel, the valet was efficient, and the porter was friendly. However I was disappointed when I walked into the lobby, there were two people at the front desk and one person standing to the right of the desk, but there was no greeting from anyone. I experienced the same many times as I walked into the lobby during my stay. While many staff were friendly and helpful when we asked them for specific assistance, the general reception it is not very welcoming.

Rooms: Beds were very comfortable. Cable tv selection was impressive.
Internet was weak in many areas of our rooms. Shower design could be improved to prevent water splashing onto bathroom area floor.

Valet staff were friendly but when asking valet for my car, I was asked numerous times during my week long stay if I was checking out. Suggestion would be to stop asking or to have some system of knowing of guest check out day.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Important Guest –
I greatly appreciate your comment that many of our staff were friendly and helpful but I am so sorry your first impression was not a grand slam at the reception area – this is not the La V expectation. Ensuring that our guests feel welcome and at home is vitally important to us so we will work harder. Thank you for the constructive feedback – we do appreciate the honesty and hope that you will consider a return.
Best regards,
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Aurora, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here on our wedding night after a wedding at Cuvier Park followed by a reception at Steakhouse at Azul. The location was perfect for us as it allowed me to check into the room to get ready for the wedding, and all the events of the evening were all within a half mile.

We stayed in Villa 12, which has a stunning ocean front view. There are a lot of stairs to get to the villas and even though there is an elevator, I'm not sure each room is handicap accessible. The staff was wonderful about bringing our bags to us because I would not have been able to haul all my stuff up and down the stairs. In fact, all the staff we met were absolutely wonderful. Even before checking in, they knew we had our wedding that day and allowed us to check in early so we could get ready.

Overall, the room was very nice. A super comfortable bed, awesome steam shower with dual shower heads, seperate enclosed room for the toilet, and a nice-sized jacuzzi tub. The room had a nice bar area, and a patio that overlooks the park and ocean across the street. We had a few, minor issues including the jacuzzi tub drained slowly while still in it and a fireplace that didn't work. However, we only stayed one night and did not bring it to the attention of the staff until we checked out, more as an FYI. It was nothing that detracted from our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy E
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Honeymoon Guests –

Congratulations and thank you for resting your heads at La V on your wedding day – we deliver enchantment! I am happy to know that you took advantage of one of our private and spacious Villas. The fireplaces have an electric starter which can be tricky; I am sorry it did not light however our staff would have readily made fire!

You are correct, not all our Villas are ADA accessible however we do have several ADA room types throughout the property including one of our Villas and can easily make special reservations.

See you soon –

Princeton NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a major academic conference of over 80 professors and experts and all parts of the hotel staff, especially the events organizers, but, I also include reservations, front desk, cleaning staff, food staff, bell staff, everyone was totally professional and also personally nice and always helpful and responsive and organized. It was all done flawlessly and perfectly and any minor issues were quickly and flexibly solved.This is a great venue for a large event, efficient and inspiring. We will definitely go back again. Every individual guest, couple, and family gave me strongly positive feedback on their experience, these are 80 positives so it made a deep impression on me as the organizer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Academic Planner of 80 –

WOW and thank you! We are thrilled to know that La V met and beat your expectations and love the thumbs up from 80 professors. Our role is to ensure that your needs as the planner are carried out and to proactively anticipate the needs of your guests. I am grateful for the extra compliments on our many departments all of whom work together for the ultimate goal; success.

La V hopes to see your conference return on an annual basis – I’ll ensure some great signature La Jolla weather; year round average temperature of 72 make that easy!

Cheers,

Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Three years ago, we spplit our time in DelMar/LaJolla between the Grand Del Mar and La Valencia. It was seemless, three days in a world class resort and three days at La V; the best of the new, combined with the best of the old. It was great. This year, we scheduled the same trip. Grand Del Mar, as per my separate review, was fantastic, in every way. La V ... not so much. In fact, I doubt we'll stay there again which is tough for us to admit; this is the kind of hotel that we WANT to love. Starting out with a strength, the staff, to a person, was exceptionally nice. That said, what they are now dealing with is less than stellar, the room and halls were musty ("all I smell is some BBQ" was what we were told. Please), the lighting in our bathroom pretty awful (my wife had to open the bathroom window to get light, then to stand in front of her vanity, she had to shut the door, then obscuring the light ...ugh); the wi-fi service was terrible to non-existent ... one night we wanted to stay in and order a movie ... but there is no pay per view service ("it's coming" ... seriously?) ... so we switched to our iPad's but we fell asleep after trying to download it for about an hour ... Ugh ... again. We ordered room service ... a caesar salad and hummus and tziziki plate ... sigh. I'm sorry, after coming fromt he GDM where we had hummus that was so good that we wanted to ask for the recipe so we could make it for ourselves - every night - it was that good - this seemed similar to the hummus out of the tapas snack box that we got ont eh plane home (think plastic container, squeezeable). And caesar salad? It was so bland and tasteless ... I was shocked. Finally, to add insult to injury, with our room right about the lobby, the construction was so incredibly loud this past Monday - they must have been told to stay away the week of the 4th ... they came back with a vengeance on 7/8 making our last morning there ... forgettable. Sorry ... this should be a great hotel but ... it is not. At least not now.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DC Guest –

I am terribly sorry that your return to La V over the July 4th holiday was not as expected. I do appreciate the comments on our staffs bench strength personalities; thank you – the team is very service driven to make our guest experiences positive.
The July 4th holiday weekend at La V includes some significant “ambiance” created by the surrounding La Jolla annual events. As you likely noted, locals begin camping at Scripps Park in front of the hotel starting on July 3rd and swell to almost 10,000 by the 4th for the fireworks display. The smell of BBQ is extremely accurate as hundreds of BBQ’s and cookers were on heavy duty volume for almost 48 hours – trade winds blow in our direction and we cannot avoid the fallout - I can assure that there is no mildew at La V.
Earlier this year La V up-graded to HD TV increasing our channel count from last year when you were here from 21 channels to 59 including HBO. We had also planned to include LodgeNet during the upgrade for on demand movies however this industry hotel vendor filed for bankruptcy so we are awaiting other options from our cable carrier. Your connectivity issues with WiFi is surprising and I would be interested to know if you contacted our WiFi “get connected” help desk – occasional connection issues are generally quickly resolved with this service.
I have not tasted the hummus at the GDM and would expect it to be exception. Our Mediterranean Room appetizer Med Spreads have been on our menu for years and well received.
My apologies for the noise on Monday morning, the crew which was intentionally not scheduled from 7/2-7/8 is finishing the front entry patio tile work.
Your comments and feedback are genuinely appreciated; in many ways we hit home runs but occasionally strike out as in your case – we hope to someday regain your business and loyalty.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for my honeymoon with my husband. We booked this hotel based upon tripadvisor reviews. We have never been to San Diego before and wanted to stay somewhere fun close to the beach.

It's a shame that when we arrived that we were given less than a stellar welcome. There were valet people being very attentive to the other guests and helping them with their bags. We had two very large and heavy bags that we needed assistance with when we arrived. No one offered to help us at all. We had to lift our bags out of the car and find our way to the front desk without any assistance at all. For the caliber of hotel that I thought it was, I was very disappointed in this introduction. Can definitely do better and not sure why we were not helped and no explanation was given to us for the lack of attentiveness during check in.

The room we stayed in was descent. The rooms are newly renovated. The only complaint I have was that the bathroom was really small. The pool area was nice and the staff was very nice and accommodating. The concierge was extremely helpful with restaurant choices for the evening.

Room Tip: We had a corner room which had a lovely view of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kmari78
Dear Honeymoon Couple –

First and foremost – congratulations on the nuptials and thank you for starting your married journey with La Valencia. I apologize that your arrival was less than warm. I appreciate your notice that the staff was busy with other guests but they certainly should have been more aware of the activity around them including your needs; first impressions are everything and we will ensure the team is more proactive.

I am happy to know your other hotel experiences were positive and thank you for the compliments on the pool and concierge staff. We hope you consider an annual return for your anniversaries and I suggest reserving one of our suites or villas with generous spa-like bathrooms for some extra indulgence.

Many thanks,

Sammamish
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Wonderful! The venue was perfect- service impeccable and villa was more fab than expected. Plenty of space to have guests over on balcony or living room. The bathroom had an oversize tub and shower, 2 sinks and great make up mirror

Room Tip: The villas are amazing!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roxanne T
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Happy Wedding Guest -
Thank you and THANK YOU! We are thrilled that La V provided the right ingredients for a wonderful celebration. I am especially grateful for your comments on our impeccable service. The Villas are indeed great for entertaining and I am happy to know you took advantage of space!
La V looks forward to your return many more times –
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We arrived after a long day of driving and were greeted by the VERY helpful and friendly valet attendants. The front of the hotel was undergoing construction/remodel so it was a bit of a maze getting inside and I didn't get much of a sense of what the hotel looks like front the front. Once inside we were taken to our room in a quite small (but JUST big enough for the valet cart) elevator. The room was very small but really fine for what we needed. The bathroom was also small but it was well designed for the size. Everything inside the room was beautiful and comfortable. I didn't have much interaction with the staff inside the hotel but the valet guys were THE BEST!!! We had a lovely stay here and I would go back again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nancy1CO
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Mile High City Guest –
I love that you love our Valet Team; they rock! The team is our guests first impression and have been great stewards of hospitality during the renovation of our arrival entry which is almost complete. It sounds like you stayed in one of our vintage traditional rooms; these smaller cozy rooms are located in the main tower building and have 9 ft. ceilings and stunning ocean views. The recently remodeled bathrooms although small (circa 1928 building) have dual head showers and lighted vanity mirror for Euro-efficiency and comfort. We’re happy to know you’ll be back and we have lots of new plans for the future including the return of Café LaRue this fall.
Ciao –
Pacific Beach
Tower23 Hotel
Tower23 Hotel
#6 of 279 in San Diego

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!