“Great view good dinners”
Review of La Valencia Hotel

La Valencia Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I had dinners and happy hours at this hotel for over 10 years when I travel to La Jolla on business. A little old California, good service, no rush and nice meals. Sometimes my friends and me would go to happy hour into La Jolla and come back here for a beautiful view with our meal. Breakfast is wonderful to. If you don't give it a try while in La Jolla, you will be missing out on something special.

Room Tip: I never tried the Spa.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Mark D, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Hello Austin Guest,
Dinners are very delicious and breakfasts also are one of my favorite periods to enjoy the tranquility of our stunning ocean views and relaxed ambiance; our Executive Chef Paul McCabe just added some wonderful new menu items. My favorites are the pumpkin waffles! I am so pleased that you take time to join us and very happy to know that you keep returning. Many thanks,

Reviewed January 16, 2013

La Valencia is a lovely hotel with beautiful grounds and a great location. When we checked in, the price they gave us was about $50 more than the internet price. But when we asked to have the internet price, they did give it to us. They had a new employee at the front desk. After we had been standing at the desk for about 15 minutes while she worked on checking us in, she finally got some help from another employee. It seems like they should have given her a little better training and been prepared with assistance for her! We also had a long wait for the valet to bring our car when we checked out. When they know it is busy like that, it seems like they could suggest you wait inside until they can bring the car instead of having a group of people standing in the cold on the curb.
The room service was excellent. Very speedy and great customer service.
The room itself was small, but beautifully decorated. Although there was room for another chair, there was only the desk chair and no place for a second person to sit. Also there was no bedside table for setting a book or glasses. The desk was covered with a large tray of snacks which had to be moved to the floor to make room for put a computer on the small table. It seemed funny to have such normal pieces of furniture missing, and made the stay less enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oregonirish
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Guest of La V,
Thank you for the great compliments on your room service experience and room décor – it is greatly appreciated. I am sorry for the rate error on arrival and delay in resolving this with a new staff member; we will work harder! Your suggestion on valet staff inviting guests to wait inside when it’s cold are an excellent idea and one we will review.
We do hope that La V will have you back soon.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We hosted 21 guests for cocktails, hors D’oeuvres and dinner at the La Valencia. Before our guests arrived, the director of catering insured that all details of the event were in place and that the staff was completely informed of our expectations. The event started on time and stayed on schedule. The staff treated our guests royally by graciously serving drinks and hors D’oeuvres as they arrived. The dinner was elegant and arrived at our table at the proper temperature. Our guests are still bragging about the wonderful experience they had at the La Valencia. On a side note, having lunch on the La Valencia balcony is like visiting the coast of Italy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Rehearsal Host,
We are thrilled that your very special dinner was a success; weddings and all the trappings are a wonderful part of La V. I absolutely love your description of our coastline view; the scenery does indeed transport you to far off places . . . but we are so close!
See you soon and thank you again.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We toured southern California this holiday season and stayed at several historic hotels (Mission Inn in Riverside, Queen Marry in Long Beach, and La Valencia in La Jolla). All three had their best deals at their hotel Web sites. So, we booked directly online. La Valencia was the most luxurious and the most charming of the three. We stayed at Villa 12, with a separate patio and balcony overlooking the ocean. From what I’ve seen, this could have been their best Villa: upper floor, high ceilings, large wall mirrors, king bed, fire place (with a remote control), great coffee machine, etc. Bathroom was spacious and had a large Jacuzzi tab (with an ocean view). A shower room had two power showers and… a real on-demand steam, which turned the shower into a mini steam room. Nice. I wish they had 4.1 surround speakers mounted into the ceiling to listen to your favorite itunes :) The hotel grounds were beautiful and well maintained. Parts of the hotel were under renovation though, but we didn’t mind. The hotel décor was fine with Spanish motif. I really enjoyed reading the in-room booklet on the hotel history. Just grabbed that booklet and a glass of wine, and enjoy reading it buy the hotel pool. It would be great if the hotel offered some guided tours, like the other hotels we visited. The hotel staff was nice. Overall, great experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank VladimirABC

Hello Russia!
How wonderful to be in the company of two other distinguished and historic hotels but even more wonderful to be touted as the best – thank you. Your review and description sounds as though you took great advantage of the privately and luxurious features of our villas (the bathrooms are like a small spa) and I am glad you read our history book; we have more great history ahead. Our guest room renovations are almost complete – I am pleased that the work was not too impactful.
Happy travels from your friends at La V –

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were given a one night stay (Sunday, Jan. 6) at La Valencia as a Christmas gift and I was dreading a trip to what I thought would be a snooty old hotel.
I couldn't have been more surprised at what a warm, inviting and relaxing place we encountered.
The friendly service started at the curb with the valet parking and continued with the bellhop who helped us to the check in desk and then on to our room. Check in was courteous and prompt with the surprise of an upgrade to a suite with a full ocean view.
Our room was well appointed, extremely clean and above all comfortable. There were flat screen TVs in the living room and bedroom, but the view across the pool and to the ocean beyond got more of our attention. The bathroom was roomy with a jacuzzi tub and large glassed in shower and plenty of large bath towels.
There was a mini bar, coffee maker and free Wi-Fi that I could pick up from the main part of the hotel or the pool area.
Even though it rained most of the day and evening we still had a wonderful time exploring the old hotel and just plain relaxing in our room.
We had a wonderful dinner in the Mediterranean Room (best filet mignon I've had in a long time) and after dinner drinks in the cozy Whaling Bar.
The bedroom in the suite was large, very quiet and the bed was extremely comfortable.
Late check out (12:00) gave us plenty of time to have a relaxing breakfast back at the Mediterranean Room and then more time to just hang out and look at the view.
Check out was extremely smooth and our car was waiting at the curb.
We now plan to come back for lunch or dinner and will definitely make plans to spend a night or two.

Room Tip: To choose a good room talk to the staff they seem very accommodating and friendly.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear San Diego Guest,
I am so pleased that “snooty” was not what you found at La V – bravo! Our iconic hotel is truly the epitome of coastal casual elegance and our goal is to ensure that there is no pretense and lots of genuine care. Your praise of our cuisine is especially appreciated as we recently had award winning executive Chef Paul McCabe come on board and he is making his mark fast so your plans to return for lunch and dinner will be met with culinary delights!
See you soon at La V –

Reviewed January 9, 2013

The La V is a historic hotel in beautiful La Jolla. My family in law goes their on a regular basis over the past years. Everything is very close by - great restaurants which come at a price, great valet service which is 29 bucks a day! - and yeah when you have a nice room that faces the cove you will get to hear the seal family bark and perform. This is lovely! However the quality of the rooms vary widely; some are old with dirty carpets, old mattresses that poke you in the back and well bathrooms can be spacious or so tiny that you cannot sit on the toilet with the door open.

Now, I have to admit that I am very picky with my rooms so I asked to have the rooms switched - and the la V tried hard to please me. However, the room I ended up in was not very private - with a home in front of my window (so the walking around naked was off that night) and I was woken up in the morning cause the room upstairs had a maintenance issue - so I had to check out early on my last day of vacation. I was not compensated for accommodating their service efforts which was disappointing. The price is not very low for this hotel even though I received a discounted rate.

I understand that driving to places in CA is almost mandatory and staying in la Jolla makes everything a bit more convenient to also just walk places - but if you do not mind driving perhaps you can find better places in the Northern part like Carlsbad.

The food at the La V is very good - and family breakfasts are just fun there, so please do not be scared of the prices. One thing worth mentioning is the great room service and bellhop service.

Koerig coffee machines are in the room which are great.

If you ever need to order water, be advised that you will receive water at a high price. I ordered Evian and paid 10 bucks per bottle which I thought was outrageous!

Well, if you are on business in la Jolla the La V is the place to stay but if you are on a leisure visit try Carlsbad or Del Mar.

Contact me for further local info!

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be partial ocean-view. If you have a chance to check out a room - go ahead and do...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Monkey2013

Dear La V Guest,
Many thanks for the number of great compliments on your recent stay. First and foremost please know that our last few rooms to renovate are in process as we speak so there will be no opportunities to encounter an out-dated room – I am sorry that a maintenance issue impacted your stay. On the subject of room locations we have a wide variety of locations from our very private villas to our tower rooms and suites. I am pleased to know that you took advantage of our heart of Village location and kept your car in the valet; we are steps from everything.
Come see us again soon,

Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

My beagle Candy gives this hotel a 2 paws up!
For $25 our beagle stayed with her owners in the ocean villa #9. She enjoyed her ocean view, the provided dog bed, & complimentary dog bowls with treats!

Candy the beagle was greeted with a handwritten card with her name welcoming her to La Valencia. She enjoyed ocean views from the private patio with walls she could look over but not jump over.
Dinner in front of the gas fireplace was lovely and was smoke - free ( not wood burning).
Most importantly, she was well rested in the very quiet oceanfront villa, lulled to sleep by the sounds of the ocean waves.

The staff went above & beyond. Tina, the concierge , escorted us to our villa #9, which was tucked at the end of the meandering hotel path.
The Bellman LJ was friendly & showed us how to use the fireplace.
Breakfast was quickly delivered within 20 minutes after placing our phone
order in the morning.

As a former resident of Hawaii, I enjoyed this stay more than any hotel in Waikiki, including the Royal Hawaiian!

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Pet Lover,

A big thank you to you and Candy for choosing La Valencia – we are so pleased that our team made your stay a great one. I especially love your description of the sounds of the ocean; our villa can indeed be an enchanting retreat only yards from the cliffs of La Jolla and Pacific Ocean. With Hawaii as a compassion, we are truly thrilled to know that La Valencia came in first – thank you!

Best regards,

Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 279 in San Diego
Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
#6 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!