“Great Hotel, great views, and service-a must if you are in La Jolla!”
Review of La Valencia Hotel

La Valencia Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Ask for a room with an ocean view-8th floor, the view was great and the room very comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 5, 2011

La V is a wonderful hotel and great views and the best staff around. Eating on the patio is always a treat (table #1 has the best view). We will definitely came back again and again and again....

Room Tip: The villas are nice but rooms overlooking the ocean with a patio are nice too.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2011

La Jolla is a beautiful small city near San Diego, California and the La Valencia Hotel is located in the heart of the city. Access to San Diego and other sites is easy and quick.
At the hotel, my wife and I, stayed in a room overlooking the pool, garden and ocean. Our room was large and clean, and the bed was right for both of us. All the equipment in the room worked well, except the shower curtain came up and would not stay down when the water came on. We asked the front desk for a second curtain and it was delivered and installed while we were at breakfast.
The hotel staff, was extremely professional, but also very courteous and friendly. We ate most of our meals at the hotel, and this was because the food was excellent. We did not try room service because the views from the restaurants were awesome. In the future when we come back to San Diego we will stay here rather than in San Diego. Leaving the La Valencia and taking the 5 freeway south down into San Diego took about 15 minutes. We can leave the city and be back to the La Valencia in 15 minutes and sitting at a table overlooking the ocean 5 minutes after that. Now that's living!

Room Tip: Floor # 5 rooms are large and have good views
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Dear prospective La V customers,

La Valencia is THE historic hotel in LA JOLLA! You don't get better than this hotel. It is boutique, charming, and part of the history of La Jolla. It is an honor to stay at "the pink lady" and be a part of her history. If you are looking for charisma, style, sass, and fun, this is a great hotel.

For those of you reading reviews regarding weddings, here is the deal.... I had my wedding at La V last weekend. We were part of the roudy crowd. La Valencia SHUTS DOWN the reception at 10:00pm! No options, no questions. There is a city noise ordinance and nothing can be done to get around it. At 9:45pm we had our last dance and moved those that wanted to stay over to the inside bar that is insulated and pretty quite. There is nothing that can be done about loud guests in any hotel at midnight in the hallways. You should not hold a hotel taccountable as they do everything possible to accommodate and keep the property quite. 10:00pm is a VERY reasonable time.

I hope you choose to visit La Valencia. It is a special place.

1  Thank michbald1
Reviewed July 28, 2011

La Valencia is situated in the middle of the business district of the picturesque town of La Jolla. The common areas are beautifully decorated and the hotel overlooks the ocean. The partial ocean view room in which we stayed was TINY. The bathroom which had been renovated was the smallest bathroom I had ever seen. It was the size of a small closet. The sink was a glass bowl, mounted on a counter top. The look was pretty, but the size of the bowl was so small, it was difficult to wash your face and keep the water inside the bowl.

It's too bad the hotel didn't enlarge the rooms during the renovation. The setting is spectacular, but I would not consider staying there again because of the bedroom and bathroom.

3  Thank jadurra
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I are San Diego locals that were looking for a quiet getaway for a "stay-cation." I had heard good things about the La Valencia from my parents, who had stayed there on their honeymoon, which might have been the first indication that I should be expecting something a little dated. The hotel is an unsightly bright pink and, while it's still a nice place, it SCREAMS "Update Me!!" The room wasn't anything to rave about, but it was nice enough. The dining area on the patio facing the ocean was my favorite part - we had a perfect view of the sunset and were able to enjoy a few quiet glasses of wine and eat some pretty good food.

Overall, it was pricy and not exactly what I had expected. I wouldn't stay there again simply because I know of other beach hotels in the area that are more updated and cost less - my recommendation is go to the La Valencia for dinner and stay someplace else.

2  Thank amcozy
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed two nights in a delux, ocean-facing, king room. I had not stayed here in over 10 years and the place has gone to absolute seed. Used to be charming, but no more. Needs to close for a year or two for major refurbishment. Carpets were worn and dirty, decor is dated and tired, one dingy elevator for the entire hotel, plumbing worked poorly in my room, restaurant menu was mediocre, and staff, for the most part, was friendly but not trained to perform in a hotel venue in this price range. It absolutely amazes me that this hotel is still able to charge the kind of prices it does. I always check Tripadvisor before I go but didn't on the La Valencia because I thought "once a princess, always a princess". Had I read Tripadvisor this time I could have been spared paying almost $500 a night to stay in a dump that is well described in your ratings section. Live and learn.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!