“Elegant Retreat”

Ranked #2 of 4 La Jolla B&B and Inns
Rockville, Maryland
“Elegant Retreat”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Peacock Salon for three nights in September. We traveled from Maryland for a wedding of a dear friend. We have stayed in many B and B's and this was definitely one of the finest. We really felt pampered. The room and decor of the entire historic home was lovely...very tasteful and comfortable. The breakfasts were delightful, healthy and a great way to start each day. The 9:00 time was perfect...not too early and not too late. We even had time to take a short beach walk before we ate. I especially enjoyed the 5:00 wine and cheese "party"....delicious cheeses, fruits and wine and a lovely presentation. The location of this B and B is outstanding; in walking distance to the coastline, restaurants, cafes, museums, etc. The staff was very attentive and accommodating. We rarely have alone-time away from our 3 1/2 year old and this was the perfect way to spend four precious days together. We highly recommend this place if you're are visiting La Jolla. Also..check out the St. James gift shop in the church next door. Very unique gifts!

Room Tip: Staying in the main house was preferable to us as it gave easier access to the library, dining room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Raynham, MA
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Based on reviews in tripadvisor we booked 3 nights in The Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla recently. I don't think we've ever had so much fun at breakfast. Our hostess not only informed us about what foods were good for us, but did it in a way that was both engaging and entertaining. The room was pleasant, as was the courtyard. It gives credence to tripadvisor reviews, so I'll join others who recommend this establishment.

monrovia, ca
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I just stayed here and it could not have been anymore charming a beautiful! There is so much history in this house, made it very interesting. The rooms are nicely decorated, and the staff very helpful. Wine and cheese in the evening, and a fabulous home cooked breakfast in the morning. Everything within walking distance. I highly recommend this place!

1 Thank jenny m
Huntington Beach, California, United States
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I visited La Jolla, CA and stayed at the Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla. The beds were comfortable, the rooms beautiful and cozy and the staff charming. We had wine and cheese on the patio in the afternoon and a gourmet breakfast in the morning. What a wonderful place to relax and unwind. We will be staying there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I treated my husband to a getaway weekend for his 30th birthday and the B&B Inn at La Jolla did just the trick. The "Garden" room was impeccable and charming. Breakfast was always delicious and the staff was especially accommodating to my vegetarian diet. Daily wine and cheese reception — yes, please!

Walking distance to the beautiful beaches, coves and main drag full of restaurants and shopping, I highly recommend you stay here during your time in La Jolla. So much more intimate and interesting than a cookie cutter hotel room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I loved this place! It is the perfect place to get away. I went there to work on a book, but I also had the most delicious food as well. It is peaceful. A sanctuary for the mind and heart! I stayed in Bird Rock Cottage, which was perfect for writing and thinking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Seeinglass
Claremont, California
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Inn for four nights and really enjoyed our time there. The staff was very friendly and helpful any issues. The breakfasts were quite good and the cookies were outstanding. The Inn is strategically located for walking to the beach or into the downtown area. Parking is a bit of a problem but can be overcome easily. There a number of very good restaurants within walking distance from the Inn especially Roppongi. We would consider returning to the Inn sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny with a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
marvelme_7, Director of Sales at The Bed & Breakfast Inn at La Jolla, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to your return. Our gluten free chocolate cookies ( a secret recipe of our Master Chef Tina ) are as you pointed out quite remarkable. Hope to see you again soon.